Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2008, 11:00 PM

107 posts, read 226,466 times

Advertisements

hi!!!!!

I know I've been very absent and I won't go into detail now...just say I have been lurking when I can and can't wait to have more time to catch up!!! You are all so often in my thoughts :-)

So, I thought I was coming up last Thanksgiving and it didn't work out....thought I was going to have to wait until about that time this year...and thought I'd only have a few days at best... but turns out......

I was at a convention all week in Vegas and they overbooked my return flight and asked for volunteers to give up their flight for a free round trip ticket anywhere in the 48....and even though I was exhausted and wanted to get out of Vegas so bad after 5 days I knew I couldn't pass up a free plane ticket from Texas to Maine!! Finally back in Texas late tonight and this is my first stop!

The free plane ride combined with my life at the moment will allow me to come for about 10-12 days. Here is where I need all the help and suggestions I can get! Here is what I know for sure....

I want to come sometime in the next 15-60 days...still snow?? I will most likely fly to Boston and take a train to Portland but I am open to any suggestions once you hear what all I want to do! Since I am not from the area and have no real clue about the in's and out's of my plan I need your expertise :-) I also MUST go to S. Burlington, Vermont for a few of these days...start/middle/end does not matter....I intend to rent a car at some point and drive as much as I can while still getting a feeling for the area as dependent upon what occurs in the next 4 months I very well may be choosing where I want to live while there on this trip!!

I know I want to visit Portland, Augusta and Bangor and the surrounding areas of Bangor as well as visit Rumford and Eastport which I know are no where near each other! I wouldn't mind making it far north to the county area as well but that may be a bit much for my time frame. I think I want to see Belfast and Orono as well....I'm open to any towns that I could find that put me slightly above the volvo line! I think I'll like Portland to be honest but I still think it will be too expensive and too big for what I am looking for...but I may have to commute to one of the bigger cities for work/survival. I live now in a town of about 12,000 but frequent Dallas with it's millions and I am so over the millions!

I want quiet and simplicity and nature but I also want a video store and a drive thru burger joint! If you needed to go to all of the above listed locations where would you start and what would you do?? Suggestions for reasonably priced accomodations along the way would be greatly appreciated as well as anyone who wants to volunteer a phone number in case I am lost on the side of the road and the moose won't move!!!!

I am beyond excited to finally get to see Maine!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :-)))

Thanks~

Stacie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2008, 08:32 AM

1,220 posts, read 3,934,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjlcu View Post
hi!!!!!

I know I've been very absent and I won't go into detail now...just say I have been lurking when I can and can't wait to have more time to catch up!!! You are all so often in my thoughts :-)

So, I thought I was coming up last Thanksgiving and it didn't work out....thought I was going to have to wait until about that time this year...and thought I'd only have a few days at best... but turns out......

I was at a convention all week in Vegas and they overbooked my return flight and asked for volunteers to give up their flight for a free round trip ticket anywhere in the 48....and even though I was exhausted and wanted to get out of Vegas so bad after 5 days I knew I couldn't pass up a free plane ticket from Texas to Maine!! Finally back in Texas late tonight and this is my first stop!

The free plane ride combined with my life at the moment will allow me to come for about 10-12 days. Here is where I need all the help and suggestions I can get! Here is what I know for sure....

I want to come sometime in the next 15-60 days...still snow?? I will most likely fly to Boston and take a train to Portland but I am open to any suggestions once you hear what all I want to do! Since I am not from the area and have no real clue about the in's and out's of my plan I need your expertise :-) I also MUST go to S. Burlington, Vermont for a few of these days...start/middle/end does not matter....I intend to rent a car at some point and drive as much as I can while still getting a feeling for the area as dependent upon what occurs in the next 4 months I very well may be choosing where I want to live while there on this trip!!

I know I want to visit Portland, Augusta and Bangor and the surrounding areas of Bangor as well as visit Rumford and Eastport which I know are no where near each other! I wouldn't mind making it far north to the county area as well but that may be a bit much for my time frame. I think I want to see Belfast and Orono as well....I'm open to any towns that I could find that put me slightly above the volvo line! I think I'll like Portland to be honest but I still think it will be too expensive and too big for what I am looking for...but I may have to commute to one of the bigger cities for work/survival. I live now in a town of about 12,000 but frequent Dallas with it's millions and I am so over the millions!

I want quiet and simplicity and nature but I also want a video store and a drive thru burger joint! If you needed to go to all of the above listed locations where would you start and what would you do?? Suggestions for reasonably priced accomodations along the way would be greatly appreciated as well as anyone who wants to volunteer a phone number in case I am lost on the side of the road and the moose won't move!!!!

Thanks~

Stacie
Better start doing a lot of reading now. In the time that you say you will have, you cannot do what you say you want to do, and expect to really learn anything about the Maine, and its many varieties.

Remember the one most important demographic for anyone moving to Maine who expects to be able to come here and immediately find employment: Maine has a population of 1.2 million people. The vast majority of them live in the southwestern corner of the state, roughly a 75 mile by 75 miles. The rest of the state, which is small compared to Texas but is large for New England, is sparcely populated with no one town or city larger than 40,000 people.

I don't know what you are expecting, but it is vastly different than what you now know as home.

Old 04-05-2008, 01:36 PM

107 posts, read 226,466 times
Acadianlion~

Thanks for your response. I have done a great deal of reading since last July and I fully realize the vast differences between Texas and Maine. I am primarily looking for guidance on making an extended visit exploration. I would think from sitting here in Texas that I could fly to Boston, take a train to Portland explore a day or two...head up to Augusta and Bangor maybe even Rumford in a rented car and then fly out of Bangor to Burlington for a few days before heading back out...but that may be more complicated than what I envision.

Stacie

Old 04-05-2008, 02:19 PM

263 posts, read 616,564 times
Hi Stacie,

I am glad you are feeling better and great job on getting free tickets.

Here is one idea for your trip,
Fly into Boston and train to Portland like you said.
Stay two nights in Portland and rent a car to see the area. (Rumford)

Now, Drive up Rt 1 and explore as you go.

Have lunch in Boothbay or Wiscasset and dinner in Belfast. (Dockside Restaurant is nice)

Stay the night in Belfast at the Harbor Inn. Or maybe in Ellsworth.
Start out the next morning or stay in the area to see more sites.
(Augusta is a 40 minute drive from Belfast)

Then continue on to Eastport.
There are many great places to see in Washington county.
Stay the night in the Eastport/Calis/Lubec area.
That makes 4/5 days, right?

From Eastport area you can drive to Bangor, drop off the car and fly out to Burlington, VT.

It is a lot to take in, but we do stuff like that all the time. We head out at 6AM with a cooler packed for lunch and eat dinner at a local restaurant. We are usually home by 9PM and exhausted. But we have a great time seeing the sites.

Old 04-05-2008, 02:31 PM

254 posts, read 1,183,420 times
Check on any restrictions on your tickets- usually when you get the free ones you have to fly in and out of the same city.

Old 04-05-2008, 06:56 PM

3,231 posts, read 7,464,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arzachena View Post
Hi Stacie,

Have lunch in Boothbay or Wiscasset and dinner in Belfast. (Dockside Restaurant is nice)

From Eastport area you can drive to Bangor, drop off the car and fly out to Burlington, VT.

It is a lot to take in, but we do stuff like that all the time. We head out at 6AM with a cooler packed for lunch and eat dinner at a local restaurant. We are usually home by 9PM and exhausted. But we have a great time seeing the sites.

Nice job arzachena! Sounds like the perfect route to me!

Old 04-05-2008, 07:14 PM

2,133 posts, read 5,877,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arzachena View Post
Hi Stacie,

That sounds like a perfect use of the available time. Great itinerary

Old 04-05-2008, 08:32 PM

5,054 posts, read 12,424,082 times
M, I don't think anyone could expound much on that!! Sounds pretty nice to me!

Old 04-06-2008, 07:00 AM

973 posts, read 2,381,928 times
The "bump" voucher will require you to fly in and out of the same city, I'm fairly sure. If the airline you got it from flies into Portland, I'd check there first. If not, then Boston. As far as taking the train from Boston to Portland, check on a rental car at both places. Usually Boston is cheaper, but lately Portland is more competitive. Bangor is out of site as far as car rental prices. With all that said, "Mud Season" is not the prettiest time to see Maine, but there is a light at the end of the tunnel, so maybe things will be more springlike when you get here.

Old 04-06-2008, 07:04 AM

4,112 posts, read 6,520,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjlcu View Post
hi!!!!!

Thanks~

Stacie

This may have already been answered, but there are no drive thru's at all in Eastport (at least, we didn't see any) and the closest thing you will find for video rentals is the local IGA. Don't you know that's why God invented netflixs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine