Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-29-2019, 05:05 PM

11 posts, read 15,882 times

Advertisements

Who can provide some insight into the Biddeford Public School system. I’m kind of torn here. On the one hand the high school seems to do poorly on state proficiency exams. But on the other,I see an average SAT score of 1080. Not really either bad or outstanding, but the average at Scarborough is only 1210 and that school is routinely ranked among the best in the state. Is the school system broken? Or, are these rankings really just geared towards driving up real estate prices,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2019, 02:42 PM

1,884 posts, read 2,895,216 times
Are you asking because you have kids in high school or are you mainly concerned about how the reputation of a high school may contribute to real estate prices?

Any real estate on or near the coast of Maine is going to be pricey. Some from away think Maine real estate prices are a steal. I guess it's all relative.

I think parents should be more concerned with how "their" students study, work hard, and apply themselves in class and when taking a test such as the SAT rather than how the school does as a whole. One reason is because some students who see no need to do well on the SAT but somehow find themselves having to take it, may score poorly or below their ability. That doesn't mean a whole school should have a bad reputation because of SAT scores. What it means to me is that all students are not planning to go to a 4-year college and see no reason to even try to excel on the SAT. Some may plan on being fishermen or fisherwomen or planning a career in one of the trades, maybe entering an apprenticeship program or two-year college, etc.

Linda Greenlaw went to Colby College and later became a swordfish captain; there could be other fishermen and fisherwomen with college educations. ... seems like an individual choice and not a requirement.

Old 09-30-2019, 07:07 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,222,115 times
MY SON WENT TO UNE (university of new England) in Biddeford FOR 6 YRS. to be a pharmacist

and he stayed in maine and didn't move away once he got his doctorate

awesome college!!

Old 10-13-2019, 09:52 AM

1,884 posts, read 2,895,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
MY SON WENT TO UNE (university of new England) in Biddeford FOR 6 YRS. to be a pharmacist

and he stayed in maine and didn't move away once he got his doctorate

awesome college!!
This would be an example where an SAT score mattered. .... someone going to a 4-year college or university and in your son's case, pursuing a graduate education. There seem to be plenty of jobs in health-related fields even in Maine.... no need to leave the state for employment. and... cudos to your son for his sticktuitiveness in his lengthy post-secondary education.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
View detailed profiles of: