Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2019, 12:31 PM

11 posts, read 15,882 times

Advertisements

I don’t think anyone, anywhere since the Pleistocene has lived “off-the-grid”. Nobody. At the end of the day you’ve used SOMETHING - tools, hardware, clothes, etc. - that was produced by some organization of people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2019, 04:59 PM

12,441 posts, read 9,529,208 times
Here are some sources of nice 1-2 bedroom house designs in the 500-1000 sq ft range, as well as some going down to 300-ish, just to give you some things to think about in small, versus tiny houses, @sxmfan2018.

https://www.allisonramseyarchitect.c...0&hMaxSqft=999

https://ourtownplans.com/plans/bunkies-and-guest-houses

Designs | Perfect Little House

https://www.mariannecusato.com/copy-of-order-plans

P.S. a useful exercise to go through is to look over the plan and ask things like:
- can I get in and out of bed without using a ladder?
- is there a spot for a washer and dryer?
- is there room for e.g. dresser(s) and nightstand(s) in the bedroom?
- is there enough closet space?
- is there room to set up seating for 2-4 people and a TV opposite?
- is there room for a small table and chairs to eat once the "living room" furniture is in?
- is there room enough to walk around easily and move from place to place once my expected furniture is in?

...there are also some free online room layout tools that let you place furniture to get a feeling for how big rooms need to be. Some designs make far better use of space than others, but I still think you're best off with 500-650 sq ft for a full open layout (except the bathroom and closet space), 600-800sq ft for a 1-bedroom, and 800-1000sq ft for a small 2-bedroom.

Last edited by OutdoorLover; 11-19-2019 at 05:18 PM..

Old 11-23-2019, 11:17 AM

27 posts, read 44,700 times
I live in Merrill, near Oakfield. My house is 400 sq feet (there is no minimum required here), about 95% off-grid (I use a phone & sometimes a laptop). Verizon has unlimited data for my IPhone and I get great reception here on my little knoll.

Hospital is in Houlton, abt 30 minutes north and east of here. Shopping can be plain (the Thriftway in town, I walk there with a backpack) or more elaborate (more stores, more options in Houlton). There's a shuttle if you don't want to drive but you have to get to a place which is plowed for pickup.

My house is 30 x 15, very well insulated, and can fit on the back of a flatbed if I want it moved. I'd never go back to having a large house, taxes are too high, upkeep is a pain in the ass, and clutter takes over.
Small is fantastic. I had the Amish builders in Unity make this place.

Old 11-23-2019, 01:08 PM

846 posts, read 1,020,312 times
Excellent choice of builders. I have nothing but respect for your choice of lifestyle. I did it back in the early 1970's as a young man after I returned from overseas.

Old 11-25-2019, 09:04 AM

3,925 posts, read 4,130,367 times
I tried to do it. My kids refused to visit me.

Old 12-01-2019, 03:46 PM

762 posts, read 1,750,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post
. . . resale can be difficult, because although a lot of articles have been written about them in the past 5-10 years, there aren't too many out there, in part because there isn't that big a demand for them.
I disagree. There is a huge demand for tiny houses. Many, many people want to build one or buy. It's a movement that is very attractive not only to those desiring to live off the grid, but also those who want to hook up to utilities and just live small because they're into minimalism (not all tiny houses are off-grid).

BUT the biggest obstacles facing someone aspiring to live in a tiny house are zoning laws and finding land to put it on. That's why there aren't many tiny houses out there, sitting on land, for sale.

Many municipalities require either a minimum amount of square footage for new builds, or they require a foundation, or a basement, or utility hook-up, and disallow "mobile homes," all of which prohibits someone who wants to build a tiny home on a trailer frame so they can move it. Sometimes the only way to build one is as an "accessory dwelling" (there's a term for it I cannot recall) in the backyard of an existing house. If the homeowner will let you. Also, what it seems a lot of people have done is to build several tiny houses and offer them as hotel suites or let them out on AirBnB. So, they're not coming up for sale. But maybe in a few more years we'll see more of them as eventually the current tiny house dwellers will want to turn them over.

Old 12-01-2019, 04:35 PM

1,940 posts, read 1,028,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citychik View Post
I disagree. There is a huge demand for tiny houses. Many, many people want to build one or buy. It's a movement that is very attractive not only to those desiring to live off the grid, but also those who want to hook up to utilities and just live small because they're into minimalism (not all tiny houses are off-grid).

BUT the biggest obstacles facing someone aspiring to live in a tiny house are zoning laws and finding land to put it on. That's why there aren't many tiny houses out there, sitting on land, for sale.

Many municipalities require either a minimum amount of square footage for new builds, or they require a foundation, or a basement, or utility hook-up, and disallow "mobile homes," all of which prohibits someone who wants to build a tiny home on a trailer frame so they can move it. Sometimes the only way to build one is as an "accessory dwelling" (there's a term for it I cannot recall) in the backyard of an existing house. If the homeowner will let you. Also, what it seems a lot of people have done is to build several tiny houses and offer them as hotel suites or let them out on AirBnB. So, they're not coming up for sale. But maybe in a few more years we'll see more of them as eventually the current tiny house dwellers will want to turn them over.

Talk to Hammond Lumber, they can give you some sound advice for the area.

https://www.hammondlumber.com/homepackages/

I have seen people living in Yurts and campers full time so its doable.

Since you live in NYC you know how to live in a 300 sq ft apt so a house would be big no matter what size.

I know people that went from a three story brown stone to a 1200 sq ft condo.

Old 12-01-2019, 04:41 PM

1,884 posts, read 2,895,216 times
I've seen several videos on YouTube of people living in what might be called non-traditional housing. Examples are small campers, yurts, and tiny houses. Some of them are pretty much stationary and others are more mobile. One family lives in a camper and stayed in campgrounds around the country and home schooled/online schooled their kids. At least one of the parents worked remotely. Campground spots in Hancock County, Maine are pretty pricey so I wouldn't recommend it for this area.

You might want to watch a few of the videos to see what others are doing. Looks like there's a series on YouTube with at least two seasons: Tiny House Nation. There are also videos of tiny house communities in various parts of the U.S. I think there is still a tiny house for sale, appears to be mounted on a trailer, on Rt. 1A close to Ellsworth.

Old 12-01-2019, 05:58 PM

37,468 posts, read 61,406,816 times
I have met Mainers who live in yurts.

There is a girl I know, I used to be a Farmers market vendor alongside of her, I see her every year at the annual Fedco sale, she lives in an old school bus on blocks. I think she lives in Starks up near Harry's hill.

I have a friend that lives in Maxfield in a log cabin, raising three daughters. She hosted us for Thanksgiving a year ago. All winter every morning they chop a hole in the ice of the Piscataquis River to haul water out of. Thanksgiving dinner was wonderful it was all cooked on a wood stove. They have a galvanized tub hanging on the wall that they use once a week for the entire family to cycle through for bathing using water heated on that wood stove. She was recently hired to be the town manager for Lowell Maine.

If you want to meet Mainers who live 'poor' we got 'em.

Old 12-02-2019, 06:52 AM

1,884 posts, read 2,895,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
I have met Mainers who live in yurts.

There is a girl I know, I used to be a Farmers market vendor alongside of her, I see her every year at the annual Fedco sale, she lives in an old school bus on blocks. I think she lives in Starks up near Harry's hill.

I have a friend that lives in Maxfield in a log cabin, raising three daughters. She hosted us for Thanksgiving a year ago. All winter every morning they chop a hole in the ice of the Piscataquis River to haul water out of. Thanksgiving dinner was wonderful it was all cooked on a wood stove. They have a galvanized tub hanging on the wall that they use once a week for the entire family to cycle through for bathing using water heated on that wood stove. She was recently hired to be the town manager for Lowell Maine.

If you want to meet Mainers who live 'poor' we got 'em.
My mom cooked on a wood stove for many years when I was growing up. She had friends who also cooked on wood stoves and had vegetable gardens, canned their own vegetables, etc. Seems to me that some people live "poor" as you call it because they choose that particular lifestyle. Maybe they have a yearning for the good old days as well as other reasons. My mom grew up in a time when people were still using washboards/scrub boards. When she got her first "automatic" (a wringer washer) as she called it, she commented "They can have the good old days." I think living "poor" makes people resilient, independent, self-reliant, confident, healthier if they eat organic , and more. ... no criticism here. There are wilderness camps for kids who some would send to reform school. It's amazing how living a wilderness lifestyle, having a wilderness experience can instill self-respect and give troubled kids a new, healthier attitude and positive behavior change. Google wilderness camps for more info.

Last edited by mainegrl2011; 12-02-2019 at 07:06 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine