Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2020, 01:35 PM

1,940 posts, read 1,028,995 times

Advertisements

Talk to Hammond Lumber about a house package and they can recommend a builder, anywhere.

https://www.hammondlumber.com/homepackages/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2020, 04:24 AM

3,536 posts, read 2,859,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpinionExperience View Post
Talk to Hammond Lumber about a house package and they can recommend a builder, anywhere.

https://www.hammondlumber.com/homepackages/
Good luck trying to get a permit to build a 900 sq ft home anywhere on the coast, Oh yes the entire city council may worship at the global warming alter, but at the end of the day its the church of the almighty property tax dollar that rules them.
Tiny homes pay tiny taxes, the greatest sin of all!

Old 01-11-2020, 07:03 AM

1,940 posts, read 1,028,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadrat View Post
Good luck trying to get a permit to build a 900 sq ft home anywhere on the coast, Oh yes the entire city council may worship at the global warming alter, but at the end of the day its the church of the almighty property tax dollar that rules them.
Tiny homes pay tiny taxes, the greatest sin of all!
That's a pretty pessimistic view.

900 sf isn't a tiny house, maybe compared to the McMansions built today.

The town won't deny you a permit based on the size of your home.

Old 01-13-2020, 07:40 AM

3,536 posts, read 2,859,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpinionExperience View Post
That's a pretty pessimistic view.

900 sf isn't a tiny house, maybe compared to the McMansions built today.

The town won't deny you a permit based on the size of your home.
Ever heard of zoning? Go ahead try to get a permit to build a 900 sqft house on the coast, not a camp mind you a year round house.

Old 01-13-2020, 09:21 AM

3,468 posts, read 7,243,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadrat View Post
Ever heard of zoning? Go ahead try to get a permit to build a 900 sqft house on the coast, not a camp mind you a year round house.
I live in a mid coast town. You don't need a permit to build anything, except within shoreland zoning, 250 ft. You can get a permit to build a 900sq. ft. home. It's been done for smaller places, but you don't need a permit for a structure in most of the town.

Old 01-13-2020, 04:58 PM

12,443 posts, read 9,540,640 times
I think some towns will have a lower limit on home size, but likely that's a zoning thing where the biggest concern is probably the (real or imagined) impact on the desirability of the neighborhood, similar to how you can't put a trailer just anywhere. Even for towns with such limits, I'd be surprised if the lower limit would be higher than ~ 600sq ft. For what it's worth, I couldn't find any minimum floor area for a single family home in the coastal town of Camden in the Camden zoning codes, and I did see description of a stand-alone 480sq ft house in town that's been built there just a few years ago.

Last edited by OutdoorLover; 01-13-2020 at 05:11 PM..

Old 01-31-2020, 06:52 AM

605 posts, read 625,179 times
Thank you very much for the information offered so far. It is very helpful and led me to investigate modular houses as suggested. I think that's a good suggestion. I don't want a mobile home, but modular would work, I think.

As an older person living alone, I want to be somewhat near a town with services. Where I live now I'm finding it very difficult to find affordable people to maintain my home and property; hence I'm doing heavy physical work on my own and I can't keep that up much longer. I also worry about being able to drive myself to grocery stores etc. as I age. I don't want to be stuck out in a rural area, isolated, unable to care for my property, unable to drive. I'm hoping to find a town that cares about senior citizens, where neighbors care about each other. Hence my interest in Belfast.

I'm not interested in tiny houses, which are defined as up to about 450 sq ft. "Small" is a specific genre about 500 to 900 sq ft. My current house has 1200 square feet and I only use half of it, so I think 700 to 900 sq ft would be good. Here are some examples:

https://www.houseplans.com/plan/600-...-0-garage-4836

https://www.houseplans.net/floorplan...oom-1-bathroom

https://www.houseplans.com/plan/874-...0-garage-27362

These houses can be simple yet attractive. I'm looking to greatly simplify my life to be able to spend time on activities and interests rather than home maintenance, which has consumed much of the last 25 years of my life.

Old 01-31-2020, 01:53 PM

12,443 posts, read 9,540,640 times
Among other features, "tiny houses" typically have you climbing a ladder into a small loft sleeping area. That might be okay when you're younger, but in your 60s, 70s, and 80s, you don't want to be doing that, and if you fall, you could really get hurt - for what?

Also agree completely that if you want to live independently as long as possible, to "age in-place", you want to live in a house that makes it easy to get around in, to keep clean, to keep organized, and to maintain. To me that's a small-ish (900-1200 sq ft assuming a 2-bedroom) place on a single level, with 1 good-sized bath, and outside uses hi quality vinyl clapboard or shakes, poly trim, fiberglass windows and either long life asphalt shingles or a standing seam metal roof. Such a house might be able to go 30 years or more with little to no exterior maintenance. You can also get ceramic tile and wood flooring finishes that are low slip. I think you want an attached garage to ease winter-storm cleanups. Set it in a small-ish (1/4 acre) yard to keep up and you're all set :-).

We won't be the same at age 75 that we were at age 35, but that can still be fine, if we just make some adjustments.

Last edited by OutdoorLover; 01-31-2020 at 02:20 PM..

Old 01-31-2020, 04:25 PM

18,727 posts, read 33,396,751 times
I had my retirement house built, 800 sq. ft., two tiny bedrooms, maintenance free siding, metal roof. Small yard, a short walk into town if not driving. Neighbors very close, town density.

There are "tiny homes" that have a first floor bedroom area. It's well known that a lot of people don't want to or can't climb up to lofts, or if there are stairs, don't want the bathroom on a different level. They're a very good design for aging in place if zoning will permit them on the property.

Old 02-01-2020, 07:27 AM

605 posts, read 625,179 times
I agree with OutdoorLover that one story is preferable. The small house genre is not characterized by loft ladders as a tiny house is.

Last edited by Last1Standing; 02-01-2020 at 07:49 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
View detailed profiles of: