Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2020, 03:10 PM

1 posts, read 972 times

Advertisements

My family of 3 plus a hypoallergenic small dog are in need of a rental. One of us is in a wheelchair as well. Any tips on finding a rental? We are currently just in a motel. We have portable income so that isn't an issue. Most rentals seem to be on the second floor or only have beds/baths upstairs.......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2020, 06:20 AM

5,466 posts, read 3,071,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newlifemaine View Post
My family of 3 plus a hypoallergenic small dog are in need of a rental. One of us is in a wheelchair as well. Any tips on finding a rental? We are currently just in a motel. We have portable income so that isn't an issue. Most rentals seem to be on the second floor or only have beds/baths upstairs.......
Maine is a big place. Where are you? where don't you want to end up?
A wheelchair might not be a great idea in deep snow, i don't know.
How do you deal with snow?

Old 02-18-2020, 07:22 AM

596 posts, read 820,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesg View Post
Maine is a big place. Where are you? where don't you want to end up?
A wheelchair might not be a great idea in deep snow, i don't know.
How do you deal with snow?
OP's subject line is "Brunswick Maine Rentals" so one would assume they want to end up in Brunswick?

Old 02-18-2020, 08:37 PM

5,466 posts, read 3,071,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yaeger07 View Post
OP's subject line is "Brunswick Maine Rentals" so one would assume they want to end up in Brunswick?
I would go there and poke around.

Old 02-19-2020, 06:59 AM

22,934 posts, read 28,318,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newlifemaine View Post
Craigslist is generally your best bet. https://maine.craigslist.org/search/...ick&srchType=A

There are a few realtors and property management firms in the area that handle rentals, but we never had much luck with them. They all seemed to want to cater exclusively to rich out-of-staters looking for a vacation home. They didn't seem to want to spend their time helping local residents.

Like most places in Maine, a lot of rentals are older homes that have been split into multi-unit apartments, so second and even third floors are pretty common. It's not impossible to find a 1-story or a ground floor unit. But it might not be easy.

You'll probably have the most success looking for a place in late spring and early summer when the Bowdoin students are all heading home. Brunswick is a college town, and college students tend to dominate most of the local rentals. Once they put in notice and start moving out, lots of rentals open up. But then you'll also have to contend with vacationers wanting to rent summer homes.

If schools are not an issue for you, you might also check out nearby towns like Topsham, Bath, Woolwich, Wiscasset, etc.

Old 02-22-2020, 06:43 AM

12,541 posts, read 9,625,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
:
:
If schools are not an issue for you, you might also check out nearby towns like Topsham, Bath, Woolwich, Wiscasset, etc.
+1 on that, Topsham is just across the river, it's pleasant enough, and depending on where you settle, you could be closer to downtown Brunswick than you are if you live on the outskirts of Brunswick ;-).

Bath isn't too far, has some fair shopping, eateries and goings-on, plus a nice waterfront, the Brunswick hospital is actually on the east side of town - almost in West Bath, so not far from Bath center, and and Rte 1 South from Bath anyway is normally fairly easy driving.

Last edited by OutdoorLover; 02-22-2020 at 06:52 AM..

Old 02-24-2020, 06:36 AM

596 posts, read 820,147 times
There are a few apartment complexes in Bath that I suspect are accessible. Not sure about dogs, though. Check out Bath Housing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine