Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-21-2012, 07:01 AM

7,057 posts, read 9,082,573 times

Advertisements

I don't think it's just 'from away', I think it extends to 'not from around here'. This being a smaller 'community', unlike say Boston or New York or other large cities where your resume is what distinguishes you from other candidates simply because there are so many people, (as has been mentioned before) the 'who you know' factor is much greater. If you don't have someone reasonably local to vouch for you, your odds of getting in the door aren't as good as they are for someone who does.

I saw 'temping' as a way to 'get my foot in the door', and once I had done that I would *show* them what I could do and begin to develop a 'local reputation' from that.

When I first moved to this area I thought that I would be a 'big fish in a small pond' and that would give me an advantage. To my dismay, I found that it wasn't so...especially in an economic situation where people with advanced degrees were competing for $8/hr jobs (which was an additional disadvantage for me, since I had left college without getting a degree because I had gone to *learn* things, not to get a piece of paper). Eventually I realized that I had to change my thinking and start at the 'bottom' somewhere (anywhere) and work my way up from there.

I've now worked at this particular company that I work for, for longer than any other job I've ever had. Even though it wasn't something I wanted to do when I started, I've shown them what I *can* do, developed skills I didn't have before, worked my way up and developed a 'local' reputation and relationships. Now I can build on that foundation to advance in another direction should I choose to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2012, 09:50 AM

3,925 posts, read 4,130,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post
.....which was an additional disadvantage for me, since I had left college without getting a degree because I had gone to *learn* things, not to get a piece of paper). Eventually I realized that I had to change my thinking and start at the 'bottom' somewhere (anywhere) and work my way up from there.
This is a serious error that youth's make. While its great to be able to learn things in college, the reality is that everyone is there to "GET THAT PIECE OF PAPER". In our society its that piece of paper that opens the doors to jobs, and eventually to income, and eventually to a stable and comfortable retirement. Its unfortunate perhaps, but I know so very many people who never recognized this fact, and now in their 60's they are paying for this failure to understand how the system works(or to listen to grown-ups who tried to tell them), and have no hope of any kind of comfortable retirement. Another bad choice, IMO, is to major in college in a subject that really gives them a chance to "learn something interesting" but which in the real world had simply no means of using it to gain employment. People don't get hired out of college with a degree in Philosophy or in "native American Studies" or psychology, no matter how much learning they did. All of these require an advanced degree with a specific skill set to gain real employment. One might require a PhD in Museum management, another an MSW, or a third a PhD in astrophysics and engineering.

I went through more than 8 years of paper getting, and then 40+ years of often drudgery under idiot management, but the result is that I have a stable retirement to do exactly as I please without anyone requiring me to do anything.

IMO, of course, others may have another view.

Old 04-21-2012, 02:17 PM

7,057 posts, read 9,082,573 times
Quote:
Another bad choice, IMO, is to major in college in a subject that really gives them a chance to "learn something interesting" but which in the real world had simply no means of using it to gain employment.
Yeah, there's an old joke there:

What does a guy with a "Liberal Arts" degree say?

"You want fries with that?"

Old 04-21-2012, 03:11 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,737,137 times
I can only speak for myself and wouldn't dare speak for someone else but in my case, it wasn't because I was trying for something out of my reach, it wasn't because I was expecting too much, it wasn't because I was competing with someone with a higher degree...it was because I was from away, they were not.

When I first moved here, I applied to who the heck knows how many jobs. One of the jobs...they HIRED me. They gave me the employee handbook, they told me my rate of pay, they told me what hours I would be working. It was just a matter of a start date.

I waited and waited, I called and waited and called and waited and waited and called. For an entire month, this person LIED to me. I finally got fed up and contacted HR. Come to find out, he never sent in the paperwork and he up and hired someone "local", while lying to me on the phone.

Another place, I had three interviews. The first two were on the same day because the first one was so impressed, I immediately landed a second. I then had to take some sort of assessment and was informed that they had never seen someone score so high on said assessment. I overheard them talking about me and believe me, it was GLOWING.

The following week I went to my third interview. In the middle of it, the person got up, introduced me to all of my "co-workers", (his words, and he actually said, "You need to know this person"), showed me exactly what I would be doing...it wasn't a basic information, he showed me what I "will be doing".

It was between me and one other person and I found out later, they knew her family.

How nice!

So in some instances, it is, simply, because you are not "from here". Again, yes, it can happen anywhere but it is so unbelievable in this state just HOW often it happens.

This is what should be told to new comers. It's not that there aren't jobs, there ARE jobs. That's not the problem.

The problem is, if you don't know anyone here or you don't have family from here for the past 26 generations, THAT is when things are going to be rough. Tell the new people THAT.

Old 04-21-2012, 06:05 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,227,645 times
three wolves- that sucks, you had that experience

Id think being from away would be an advantage- shakes up the work-pool and gets a diverse perspective

Old 04-24-2012, 12:27 PM

3,638 posts, read 6,168,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slyfox2 View Post
This is a serious error that youth's make. While its great to be able to learn things in college, the reality is that everyone is there to "GET THAT PIECE OF PAPER". In our society its that piece of paper that opens the doors to jobs, and eventually to income, and eventually to a stable and comfortable retirement. Its unfortunate perhaps, but I know so very many people who never recognized this fact, and now in their 60's they are paying for this failure to understand how the system works(or to listen to grown-ups who tried to tell them), and have no hope of any kind of comfortable retirement. Another bad choice, IMO, is to major in college in a subject that really gives them a chance to "learn something interesting" but which in the real world had simply no means of using it to gain employment. People don't get hired out of college with a degree in Philosophy or in "native American Studies" or psychology, no matter how much learning they did. All of these require an advanced degree with a specific skill set to gain real employment. One might require a PhD in Museum management, another an MSW, or a third a PhD in astrophysics and engineering.

I went through more than 8 years of paper getting, and then 40+ years of often drudgery under idiot management, but the result is that I have a stable retirement to do exactly as I please without anyone requiring me to do anything.

IMO, of course, others may have another view.
I totally understand your view, but coming from a family with a history now of dying not much past 65, I'll disagree with going through 40+ years of drudgery and idiot management to live comfortably for a year or so and then pass my savings along to my heirs.

In my own career, I've come to a crossroads which forced me to make a decision about working a job I enjoy on a shift I detest for 3 nights a week, or move to a 5 day-a-week job I'd destest even more by sitting in an office *cattle stall* and being nearly bored to the point bordering a comatose state.

I totally agree with not getting a degree in "Basket Weaving Through The Ages"

I think the tide is turning now. While it is important to get a piece of paper, it's also important to be able to show skills to prospective employers. They also need a place to work once they're done.

53% of Recent College Grads Are Jobless or Underemployed—How? - Jordan Weissmann - Business - The Atlantic

Last edited by cebdark; 04-24-2012 at 12:38 PM..

Old 04-24-2012, 12:37 PM

3,638 posts, read 6,168,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post
Yeah, there's an old joke there:

What does a guy with a "Liberal Arts" degree say?

"You want fries with that?"
Yup.

Old 04-25-2012, 12:25 PM

325 posts, read 706,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
I can only speak for myself and wouldn't dare speak for someone else but in my case, it wasn't because I was trying for something out of my reach, it wasn't because I was expecting too much, it wasn't because I was competing with someone with a higher degree...it was because I was from away, they were not.

When I first moved here, I applied to who the heck knows how many jobs. One of the jobs...they HIRED me. They gave me the employee handbook, they told me my rate of pay, they told me what hours I would be working. It was just a matter of a start date.

I waited and waited, I called and waited and called and waited and waited and called. For an entire month, this person LIED to me. I finally got fed up and contacted HR. Come to find out, he never sent in the paperwork and he up and hired someone "local", while lying to me on the phone.

Another place, I had three interviews. The first two were on the same day because the first one was so impressed, I immediately landed a second. I then had to take some sort of assessment and was informed that they had never seen someone score so high on said assessment. I overheard them talking about me and believe me, it was GLOWING.

The following week I went to my third interview. In the middle of it, the person got up, introduced me to all of my "co-workers", (his words, and he actually said, "You need to know this person"), showed me exactly what I would be doing...it wasn't a basic information, he showed me what I "will be doing".

It was between me and one other person and I found out later, they knew her family.

How nice!

So in some instances, it is, simply, because you are not "from here". Again, yes, it can happen anywhere but it is so unbelievable in this state just HOW often it happens.

This is what should be told to new comers. It's not that there aren't jobs, there ARE jobs. That's not the problem.

The problem is, if you don't know anyone here or you don't have family from here for the past 26 generations, THAT is when things are going to be rough. Tell the new people THAT.
My experience too. Plus the lack of jobs here. If I had known this(plus the economy getting so bad)I wouldn't have moved here.

Old 04-26-2012, 07:07 AM

134 posts, read 243,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
=The problem is, if you don't know anyone here or you don't have family from here for the past 26 generations, THAT is when things are going to be rough. Tell the new people THAT.

I don't think that's just Maine though. That sort of thing happens everywhere, particularly in smaller towns and more rural places. It isn't what you know, it's who you know. People give hiring preference to people they know everyplace on earth.

It does suck when it happens though, and I understand your being annoyed at the events you described. I'd have been furious also.

Old 04-29-2012, 05:22 PM

9,639 posts, read 6,018,049 times
Born in California. Moved 60 miles north of Portland at age 3. Moved to Portland at age 22.

Over all I like the quiet parts of Maine. Could care less about those true "Mainers" and the trashier towns. I'll be leaving here shortly though. Lack of jobs, high taxation, and messed up regulations (ie. can't shop cross state lines for health insurance and can't have those plans tailored to your age/lifestyle = really expensive healthcare).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine