Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-02-2012, 07:52 AM

3,638 posts, read 6,168,748 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordSquidworth View Post
Made a good choice. When I worked in a medical office, Tricare wasn't liked. Sorta like Mainecare. Doesn't pay the providers enough.

Insurance companies didn't leave. They didn't come. Maine insurance has more regulation than most. Wasn't worth the effort.

That was what is commonly referred to as "Obamacare" Something that happened nationally.
I've been in the health care business for 24 years.

I agree Maine insurance has more regulation than most, but the pre-existing condition law was in place many years before "Obamacare."

Tricare is a worthy insurance to me. Those military members earned it, and it annoys me to no end to hear the word "entitlement" in reference to that (and I hear it from some who of course never served 10 minutes in the military).

They are the least pain in the rear to deal with, and they definitely pay more than MaineCare does.

It would be nice to see jobs which offer a decent 'in' to a insurance plan, but this state has very few businesses either willing or able to offer it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2012, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post

And if that is the case, I wonder why people insist on buying brand new vehicles to be charged so much excise tax if your car is going to rust out.

It is one of the very first things I noticed when I moved here: "Wow! Everyone has new vehicles!" I get that you may need to buy another car when the old one rusts away but if the excise tax is so "horrid", why would you buy new only to have to do it again in less than a decade?

They may not 'own' them. Leasing a new vehicle is often cheaper and makes more sense then buying one outright for a lot of people for the very reason that calcium chloride rots out car undercarriages in short order.

In addition to that, those who are self-employed (there are a lot in Maine) can write off costs associated with leasing on their taxes. The payments are often lower and you can then always have a new and reliable vehicle. This is especially important if you travel long distances for your job.

I know many people who lease brand new vehicles. I don't personally, but eventually I might if I can't find a suitable vehicle in a used car lot.

I forget who posted this here a while ago, but it's a great way to find out what your excise tax will be. Remember that in Maine, it's not what you paid for the car, it's what the car is worth. That is patently unfair to me, but it is what it is.

Excise tax calculator

Maine Bureau of Motor Vehicles: Registrations

Last edited by cebdark; 05-02-2012 at 08:07 AM.. Reason: added link

Old 05-02-2012, 10:25 AM

30,253 posts, read 23,737,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reloop View Post
They may not 'own' them. Leasing a new vehicle is often cheaper and makes more sense then buying one outright for a lot of people for the very reason that calcium chloride rots out car undercarriages in short order.

In addition to that, those who are self-employed (there are a lot in Maine) can write off costs associated with leasing on their taxes. The payments are often lower and you can then always have a new and reliable vehicle. This is especially important if you travel long distances for your job.

I know many people who lease brand new vehicles. I don't personally, but eventually I might if I can't find a suitable vehicle in a used car lot.

I forget who posted this here a while ago, but it's a great way to find out what your excise tax will be. Remember that in Maine, it's not what you paid for the car, it's what the car is worth. That is patently unfair to me, but it is what it is.

Excise tax calculator

Maine Bureau of Motor Vehicles: Registrations
Yes, as I stated, that's how they did/do it in WA as well: It's what the car is worth and in MOST cases, the older the car, the less the worth. (Not counting some that turn out to be classics.)

One would think that with the amount paid in payments for leasing, one could find a used car for even cheaper than that and since you can haggle down to blue book value, your excise tax would plummet.

If I were to lease a vehicle for 5 years at a monthly payment of $200, I could have owned two used vehicles in that time and not paid the ridiculously high excise tax based on the newer vehicle's worth.

This is what I mean by, "I do not understand".

Now, some people may have the means to do this and that's fine and dandy but I hear a lot of complaining about the excise tax, (not just here on the forum), and see the person crawl in to a huge new vehicle. Doesn't make sense to me.

Old 05-02-2012, 12:41 PM

6,631 posts, read 13,542,872 times
Quote:
Now, some people may have the means to do this and that's fine and dandy but I hear a lot of complaining about the excise tax, (not just here on the forum), and see the person crawl in to a huge new vehicle. Doesn't make sense to me.
Some people aren't happy unless they're complaining.

Old 05-02-2012, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Yes, as I stated, that's how they did/do it in WA as well: It's what the car is worth and in MOST cases, the older the car, the less the worth. (Not counting some that turn out to be classics.)

One would think that with the amount paid in payments for leasing, one could find a used car for even cheaper than that and since you can haggle down to blue book value, your excise tax would plummet.

If I were to lease a vehicle for 5 years at a monthly payment of $200, I could have owned two used vehicles in that time and not paid the ridiculously high excise tax based on the newer vehicle's worth.

I am a used car owner, so I agree with you about the leasing; however, a lot of people still want newer cars so it is what it is. People choose whatever vehicle suits their purposes. Right or wrong, it's not my place to judge. A lot of people feel 'safer' in a larger vehicle especially during the winter.

Still, I don't understand how a person could have a ridiculously low excise tax unless the car is an antique.

I registered a 2005 4 door Chevy sedan today. Here's the breakdown:

Base: 25,575
Mil. Rate: 0.0040
Agent Fee: $3.00
Local Excise Tax: $102.30
Fees: $35.00

Total: $140.30 For a 7 year old Chevy with most (but not all) of the bells and whistles.

Personally, I don't think any 7 year old car is worth that much - especially up here. Maine, however, does. Maybe this is what the people you are hearing are upset about? I won't presume to know.

Our other 'beater car" is a 1997 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme. The excise tax on it has bottomed out at $75.00.

I don't get how someone can have a $12 excise tax unless it has to do with location.

Old 05-02-2012, 03:28 PM

3,468 posts, read 7,242,141 times
Quote:
I am a used car owner, so I agree with you about the leasing; however, a lot of people still want newer cars so it is what it is. People choose whatever vehicle suits their purposes. Right or wrong, it's not my place to judge. A lot of people feel 'safer' in a larger vehicle especially during the winter.

Still, I don't understand how a person could have a ridiculously low excise tax unless the car is an antique.

I registered a 2005 4 door Chevy sedan today. Here's the breakdown:

Base: 25,575
Mil. Rate: 0.0040
Agent Fee: $3.00
Local Excise Tax: $102.30
Fees: $35.00

Total: $140.30 For a 7 year old Chevy with most (but not all) of the bells and whistles.

Personally, I don't think any 7 year old car is worth that much - especially up here. Maine, however, does. Maybe this is what the people you are hearing are upset about? I won't presume to know.

Our other 'beater car" is a 1997 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme. The excise tax on it has bottomed out at $75.00.

I don't get how someone can have a $12 excise tax unless it has to do with location.

My '67 Mustang has something like a $5.00 excise tax. My '77 Honda 750 has a $11.00 tax.

Old 05-02-2012, 03:44 PM

37,468 posts, read 61,396,384 times
Quote:

For a long time, we had been in the habit of buying $500 - $1000 beaters and each year having a mechanic replace anything they find that is worn out [as preventative maintenance].

Moving to Maine, it seems that old beaters capable of passing inspection are rare. Cars rust out too quickly.

Which has led us to buying new vehicles.

Old 05-02-2012, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinB View Post
My '67 Mustang has something like a $5.00 excise tax. My '77 Honda 750 has a $11.00 tax.
That's because they're fossils!

Trust me, I know a fossil when I see one (especially a '67) snork!

Old 05-02-2012, 09:54 PM

37,468 posts, read 61,396,384 times
Quote:
That's because they're fossils!

Trust me, I know a fossil when I see one (especially a '67) snork!
A '67 is a fossil?

I have a '56 Willy that you might consider to be a fossil too [It has a flat-head 'Hurricane-6' in it]

I traded a '57 Willy Woody for this one.

Old 05-03-2012, 01:48 AM

7,057 posts, read 9,080,994 times
Actually, the excise tax is NOT based on what the vehicle is 'worth'. The tax is based on the nebulous MSRP of the vehicle when it was new and has little to do with the actual price that was paid, or what it might be worth currently. The tax declines for the first 5 years when the vehicle is new, until it reaches a 'steady state'. I pay about $60/year on a '94 Dodge Ram pick'emup.

Basing it on the MSRP (as opposed to its current value) is what I find unfair. Let's say (for the sake of argument) that you found a Ferrari (that cost $250G when new) in a junkyard for short money, dragged it home and fixed it up- you'd still have to pay a tax based on the $1/4 mil original price tag.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine