Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-25-2020, 11:09 AM

12,451 posts, read 9,540,640 times

Advertisements

I know there's been some discussion of steel buildings here being used for housing. I found this company, which does have a New England office, that does residential (as well as anything else) steel buildings, and does projects up to the turnkey level if desired.

I haven't contacted them for pricing or anything, so if people want to know that, they should contact the office in NH, which is responsible for northern New England.

I have though reviewed photos of their results and info of how these buildings are built, and am impressed, so I thought I'd pass the lead along to those who may be interested. What I liked was:
  • They have been building steel buildings for over 70 years, so they must be doing something right
  • The company is large and sophisticated, and they have standardized project processes, materials and engineering features that they continuously improve
  • You'll see projects in their portfolio as small as a chicken coop and as large as a commercial warehouse and shipping facility
  • They have sound-looking framing and foundation schemes - they're not just doing things the fastest or the cheapest way, they're building to last
  • They have the flexibility to e.g. do the foundation in multiple ways as climate and owner preference require, and to accommodate owner taste and budget with finishing materials, both inside and out
  • While some of their buildings still look more like e.g. a garage, warehouse or machine shop adapted to live in, some of them look very conventional and "homey"

This is them - Morton Buildings - enjoy
https://mortonbuildings.com/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2020, 11:38 AM

37,468 posts, read 61,406,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post
I know there's been some discussion of steel buildings here being used for housing. I found this company, which does have a New England office, that does residential (as well as anything else) steel buildings, and does projects up to the turnkey level if desired.

I haven't contacted them for pricing or anything, so if people want to know that, they should contact the office in NH, which is responsible for northern New England.

I have though reviewed photos of their results and info of how these buildings are built, and am impressed, so I thought I'd pass the lead along to those who may be interested. What I liked was:
  • They have been building steel buildings for over 70 years, so they must be doing something right
  • The company is large and sophisticated, and they have standardized project processes, materials and engineering features that they continuously improve
  • You'll see projects in their portfolio as small as a chicken coop and as large as a commercial warehouse and shipping facility
  • They have sound-looking framing and foundation schemes - they're not just doing things the fastest or the cheapest way, they're building to last
  • They have the flexibility to e.g. do the foundation in multiple ways as climate and owner preference require, and to accommodate owner taste and budget with finishing materials, both inside and out
  • While some of their buildings still look more like e.g. a garage, warehouse or machine shop adapted to live in, some of them look very conventional and "homey"

This is them - Morton Buildings - enjoy
https://mortonbuildings.com/
Some of those homes are very nice.

I bought our house as a kit from 'American Steel' American Steel Buildings- Photo Gallery

Our house was marketed as an airplane hangar that we modified into a house.

I hired the foundation to be constructed. I assembled the kit myself, I hired a crane operator for 3 hours to help me to stand the vertical girders up. Otherwise, it was very easy to bolt together.

Old 11-25-2020, 04:10 PM

12,451 posts, read 9,540,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
Some of those homes are very nice.

I bought our house as a kit from 'American Steel' American Steel Buildings- Photo Gallery

Our house was marketed as an airplane hangar that we modified into a house.

I hired the foundation to be constructed. I assembled the kit myself, I hired a crane operator for 3 hours to help me to stand the vertical girders up. Otherwise, it was very easy to bolt together.
That sounds like quite a project to DIY! I might have tried that in my late 30s to 40s, but I don't have it in me now. Bet you can save a bundle though.

Old 11-25-2020, 07:21 PM

37,468 posts, read 61,406,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post
That sounds like quite a project to DIY! I might have tried that in my late 30s to 40s, but I don't have it in me now. Bet you can save a bundle though.
Our home is 40' by 60' with 12' eaves and a 14' peak. the shell cost me $16,000.

Old 11-27-2020, 10:07 PM

840 posts, read 761,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAhippo View Post
It's only about 700 sf so I don't think it'd be that costly.

While I agree about the paneling, 1st thing I'd do is remove the tile in the bathroom and the window over the tub.
I loved the bathroom tile and the window!

Old 11-28-2020, 05:39 AM

901 posts, read 686,016 times
Submariner, you're the man! We closed on our new house in Maine and my husband is out there taking a trailer full of tools before we actually get there.

When we do, we would love to take you up on that offer to see the metal building home. I have always wanted to do something similar. We could not do it this time because we needed to settle quickly, as my dad has just been recommended for hospice.

Old 11-28-2020, 05:47 AM

30,531 posts, read 16,226,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by october2007 View Post
I loved the bathroom tile and the window!

I'm not that much of an exhibitionist. The window would have to go.

Know I'm in the minority but I hate tiles. Of any kind, any place. Tiles would have to go too.

Old 11-28-2020, 10:32 AM

30,531 posts, read 16,226,596 times
not sure about this one. Realtor could use a lesson in photography.

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...4_M43620-87446

Old 11-28-2020, 10:43 AM

10,048 posts, read 18,076,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAhippo View Post
not sure about this one. Realtor could use a lesson in photography.

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...4_M43620-87446
You are right about the pictures!! Some of the worst I've seen in terms of getting a good feel for the house.

Even so, I really like the house and it's on almost 3 acres, which I also like. New appliances, new heating system, newer roof ... all of which makes me wonder what's wrong with it as $140k seems really low? Only 1 bathroom, but still. No basement? I can't tell from the listing. No garage though.

IIRC, the poster Cuffler moved to Searsport. It's one of the towns I've looked at too, although I will likely just stay where I am in retirement (which isn't a bad option, although I think I'd prefer Maine).

Old 11-28-2020, 04:56 PM

901 posts, read 686,016 times
I think Cuffler might be in Searsmont, inland a tad from Belfast--I think Searsport is the next town up coast from Belfast, but I might be wrong. We almost bought a house in Searsmont, is why I paid attention--it was a neat little town with a very neat little general store.

Searsport is great, too. Wish it were not so far from my parents in Portland, but that's where they landed, as my brother lives there too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine