Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2024, 09:20 AM

69 posts, read 44,377 times

Advertisements

https://www.businessinsider.com/most...a-maine-2024-1

Population change from 2022 to 2023: 6,384 new residents

Percent of inbound moves in 2023: 64%

Percent of outbound moves in 2023: 36%
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2024, 09:03 AM

37,441 posts, read 61,352,754 times
Most years the Bangor Daily News will run an article from data-mining the US Census database, they usually show that people coming to Maine are mostly retirees, while people leaving Maine are mostly 20-somethings.

Boosting the numbers of 55+ residents keeps Maine's status as the state with the oldest age of residents and the highest percentage of retirees.

Old 01-06-2024, 08:59 PM

12,365 posts, read 9,473,336 times
Wow, Maine is right up there at #1, and next door neighbor New Hampshire is also #3

Old 01-07-2024, 07:17 AM

1,940 posts, read 1,027,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
Most years the Bangor Daily News will run an article from data-mining the US Census database, they usually show that people coming to Maine are mostly retirees, while people leaving Maine are mostly 20-somethings.

Boosting the numbers of 55+ residents keeps Maine's status as the state with the oldest age of residents and the highest percentage of retirees.
I moved to Maine from NJ in 1998 at 28 yrs old following a dream. My grandmother was from CT and had New England memorabilia all over and talked about her life in New England. My cousins moved to Vermont and RI and I Maine. Found out I had extended family throughout NE back to 1700's.

I moved to Maine just the way it is and made it a point to not bring NJ with me. I couldn't loose my accent so people were standoffish regardless of my motives to fit in. After 14 years I left because of the divide not the weather. I still love Maine and visit sometimes and get reminded every time why I left.

As a country we all live under the same flag and same sacrifice to make our country the greatest in the world.

Old 01-07-2024, 02:28 PM

37,441 posts, read 61,352,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpinionExperience View Post
I moved to Maine from NJ in 1998 at 28 yrs old following a dream. My grandmother was from CT and had New England memorabilia all over and talked about her life in New England. My cousins moved to Vermont and RI and I Maine. Found out I had extended family throughout NE back to 1700's.

I moved to Maine just the way it is and made it a point to not bring NJ with me. I couldn't loose my accent so people were standoffish regardless of my motives to fit in. After 14 years I left because of the divide not the weather. I still love Maine and visit sometimes and get reminded every time why I left.

As a country we all live under the same flag and same sacrifice to make our country the greatest in the world.
I moved many times during my Navy career. For me, to relocate is not such a big deal. At every duty station, I searched for places where I might be comfortable living in my retirement. My primary concern was the local climate.

The best climate I have found has been here in Maine, of course these extremely low taxes don't hurt either.

The biggest source of prejudice I have seen against 'flat-landers' from away has been here on this forum, certainly not IRL.

I made friends quickly at church, the American Legion, the VFW, blue lodges, the Shrine, and the Granges. In my perspective, most Mainers have been very friendly.

Old 01-07-2024, 02:31 PM

23,554 posts, read 18,661,418 times
Quote:
I moved many times during my Navy career. For me, to relocate is not such a big deal. At every duty station, I searched for places where I might be comfortable living in my retirement. My primary concern was the local climate.

The best climate I have found has been here in Maine, of course these extremely low taxes don't hurt either.

The biggest source of prejudice I have seen against 'flat-landers' from away has been here on this forum, certainly not IRL.

I made friends quickly at church, the American Legion, the VFW, blue lodges, the Shrine, and the Granges. In my perspective, most Mainers have been very friendly.

Yeah this poster has made multiple posts about the same thing, and it just doesn't match my experience either. Perhaps he "tried too hard"?

Old 01-07-2024, 04:57 PM

Quote:

Your military experience probably helped a lot. I have gotten many likes and comments on my remarks about my experience so I post for people that are doing research about moving in these tumultuous times. Maine is a nice place, just know what your in for. Wishing all the best.

Old 01-07-2024, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
Yeah this poster has made multiple posts about the same thing, and it just doesn't match my experience either. Perhaps he "tried too hard"?
I visited a friend on a lake in Maine last summer and they were placing bets on if a boat would hit the rock under water. I asked if they would warn them and they said they don't want to be responsible and laughed when they hit it, I thought Mainers look out for one another. Then their 10 year old son met them and saw they were upset but kept the secret. How is caring about other people "tried too hard".

Maine will always be an aging state.

Old 01-08-2024, 11:16 AM

3,468 posts, read 7,237,647 times
Quote:
I visited a friend on a lake in Maine last summer and they were placing bets on if a boat would hit the rock under water. I asked if they would warn them and they said they don't want to be responsible and laughed when they hit it, I thought Mainers look out for one another. Then their 10 year old son met them and saw they were upset but kept the secret. How is caring about other people "tried too hard".

In the mid '80's, I would drive down to my grandmother's place on the weekends, to mow and generally do the up keep. there was a neighbor, that was from Massachusetts, that called one day. She asked me to paint her house. I explained that I simply couldn't, because I didn't have enough time to do that. She got very upset with me and stated that she thought Mainers always helped out one another. Needless to say, I still didn't paint her house.

Ps. I'm not now, nor was I ever, a house painter.

Old 01-08-2024, 12:30 PM

2,724 posts, read 6,422,284 times
Quote:

....pants on fire....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine