Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2022, 07:55 AM

30,253 posts, read 23,737,137 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimsalvagni View Post
Thank you, L00k4ward. I have no intention to do this, my post is research related only. I do not own an RV and do not live even remotely close to Maine.
What is the 'research' for? What will you be doing with the information? Seems odd to continue to ask about using someone's private property without them knowing, and then calling it 'research'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
...The neighbor who was bush-hogging it for me...
Man, I remember seeing a sign about 'bush hogging' for the very first time when I was driving to do a job. It left me confused the entire day.

"What the heck is bush hogging? Bush. Hogging. Are they hogging the bushes, or is it something to do with hogs. Are they putting hogs in the bush? Feeding them bushes? What the heck is going on in this state?"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2022, 11:21 AM

3,933 posts, read 2,193,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
What is the 'research' for? What will you be doing with the information? Seems odd to continue to ask about using someone's private property without them knowing, and then calling it 'research'.

Man, I remember seeing a sign about 'bush hogging' for the very first time when I was driving to do a job. It left me confused the entire day.

"What the heck is bush hogging? Bush. Hogging. Are they hogging the bushes, or is it something to do with hogs. Are they putting hogs in the bush? Feeding them bushes? What the heck is going on in this state?"
It is a practice in many-many states! Since 1951..
Guess, not in yours though - maybe nothing to “bush hog”?
https://bushhog.com/

Old 08-07-2022, 11:38 AM

37,465 posts, read 61,396,384 times
In much of our nation droughts are severe. Wild grasses turn brown every April and by June the grass is dead, and trees begin dying. There is not enough water in the ground for plants to survive.

Here in Maine many trees spread their roots out wide and every place where roots breach up out of the soil those roots will start up new trees. Those new trees grow very fast, because they can draw nutrients from the mother tree during its first decade. When a farmer tries to clear a field, new trees sprout up every year, sometimes as far as 100 feet from the nearest mature tree. It is not always from them dropping seeds.

I have a jeep trail running through my property, and it is all dense tree growth.

The new saplings come up fast and dense. If they are not cut down at least every second year, those saplings will be sturdy enough that a truck can not get through.

An over-sized lawnmower going through once a year, can knock it all down and keep the trail open for walking or vehicles.

Forest in drought-prone regions are entirely different from what happens here in Maine.

In Washington state, when anyone cuts timber, they are required to re-plant two trees for every tree they cut down. The state operates tree nurseries so anyone may buy bare-root trees by the hundred for very cheap.

I have mentioned this to a few Maine Foresters, and they think it is crazy. Here trees come up on their own. Nobody here would ever think of planting a pine tree. Because they shoot up so fast on their own.

Old 08-07-2022, 06:43 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,737,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L00k4ward View Post
It is a practice in many-many states! Since 1951..
Guess, not in yours though - maybe nothing to “bush hog”?
https://bushhog.com/
I was living in Maine when I saw the sign. Pretty sure I came to this forum to ask what that meant. I'd never heard or seen signs about it before Maine, and haven't seen or heard about it since Maine, and I've lived in many different states..

Old 08-08-2022, 03:13 AM

973 posts, read 2,381,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post

I have mentioned this to a few Maine Foresters, and they think it is crazy. Here trees come up on their own. Nobody here would ever think of planting a pine tree. Because they shoot up so fast on their own.
Don't know who you talk to, but there are a lot of seedlings planted in Maine. A quick search found this document that states J D Irving planted 2.9 million seedlings in 2016. Irving typically uses Migrant workers to do the planting since they can't find locals willing to do the job. All the major land owners are managing their ground by planting seedlings

https://www.maine.gov/dacf/lupc/plan...hibits/1-4.pdf

Old 08-08-2022, 09:29 AM

37,465 posts, read 61,396,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kellysmith View Post
Don't know who you talk to, but there are a lot of seedlings planted in Maine. A quick search found this document that states J D Irving planted 2.9 million seedlings in 2016. Irving typically uses Migrant workers to do the planting since they can't find locals willing to do the job. All the major land owners are managing their ground by planting seedlings

https://www.maine.gov/dacf/lupc/plan...hibits/1-4.pdf
I am required to hire a Forester every ten years to survey my land and to write a treegrowth management plan. I have attended a few workshops, I have interviewed various licensed Foresters. And every time when I mention re-planting they look at me like I have three eyes or two heads.

The man I bought our land from is a licensed Forester. He owns many parcels of treegrowth land. He surveys land and makes his own treegrowth maps. If the 'wrong' species of trees are growing he kills them, confidant that a more preferred species will grow instead. He uses a crop-duster airplane to spray his parcels with herbicides to discourage 'wrong' species of trees.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine