Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2008, 06:48 PM

1,062 posts, read 1,019,242 times

Advertisements

I know it's too early for any official numbers, but to anyone either directly or indirectly involved in tourism, what's it looking like this year? I'm thinking that the disappointing weather this "summer" can't be helping matters much.

I was in Bar Harbor last weekend, Saturday..not at all crowded. Plently of street parking, able to walk into any restaurant at noon time and get immediate seating. I'm beginning to feel really sorry for those folks who bit the bullet, rented a cottage...and watch day after day of clouds and rain!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2008, 07:34 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,691,590 times
I have never seen Lincoln so mobbed on a Friday. Many out of state plates and nothing I know of is scheduled for this weekend. It was almost like the last Phish concert up at Loring when the fans bought all the beer in Lincoln. Cleaned out the entire town. When they realized that Lincoln was running out of beer they went back in and bought every last can just to be able to claim that Phish fans bought all the beer in town.

Old 08-01-2008, 08:21 PM

2,054 posts, read 4,580,693 times
Up here at Moosehead, strong sales!

I had a record 4th weekend. Forest Heritage Days is next weekend. I don't know that the throngs of people up here even know it.

No one is complaining about gas, or anything. I think that beyond the Maple Curtain, is a land we can only dream about. The only complaint one of my customers had was how his divorce cost him $5 million.

Old 08-02-2008, 06:12 AM

4,112 posts, read 6,522,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
I have never seen Lincoln so mobbed on a Friday. Many out of state plates and nothing I know of is scheduled for this weekend. It was almost like the last Phish concert up at Loring when the fans bought all the beer in Lincoln. Cleaned out the entire town. When they realized that Lincoln was running out of beer they went back in and bought every last can just to be able to claim that Phish fans bought all the beer in town.
Sweet, I can't believe that Phish was in Lincoln. I saw them in concert when they were relatively new.

Old 08-02-2008, 06:45 AM

1,698 posts, read 3,339,392 times
I'm in Washington County, and my business has been booming. We have our International Festival this week, it's usually very good for the area.

Old 08-02-2008, 07:00 AM

4,112 posts, read 6,522,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peachie_in_maine View Post
I'm in Washington County, and my business has been booming. We have our International Festival this week, it's usually very good for the area.
International festival? I'm assuming that there's tons of French food, right?

Old 08-02-2008, 07:15 AM

1,698 posts, read 3,339,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dramamama6685 View Post
International festival? I'm assuming that there's tons of French food, right?
Our International Festival is also called "Hands Across the Border". Calais, Maine and St. Stephen, New Brunswick Canada Celebrate the neighboring towns with this festival. Lots of food, entertainment and activities going on both sides of the international bridge.
When I was a teen, it was much more fun to me then. The street dances and parades, fireworks, food, crafts... it's a good event.

Old 08-02-2008, 01:44 PM

2,054 posts, read 4,580,693 times
I have a business that draws a certain clientel like flies on a dog rocket.

One crowd just left here and include a Maine lawyer, a Louisiana lawyer, a stock broker from London and a contractor from Santa Barbara and plumber from Connecticut. Except for one, they all have camps here.

There is a constant parade of boats, campers and RVs.

Old 08-02-2008, 02:48 PM

6,631 posts, read 13,547,807 times
Baxter State Park is packed. I HATED to leave.

Old 08-02-2008, 03:36 PM

1,594 posts, read 4,098,109 times
I was in Greenville, Kokadjo and Rockwood today. No trouble finding parking spots in Greenville, and the Black Frog was almost empty when we went in for lunch. (BTW, anyone ever eaten at the Rod-n-Reel Cafe?) VERY few RVs or travel trailers on the highways. The general store in Kokadjo had three people in it, and two were working there. We drove through local festivals in Dover-Foxcroft and a small town whose name escapes me. Both seemed to be well attended, but almost all the cars parked along the road had Maine plates.

On another note, the highways south of Greenville and on the east side of the lake going to Kokadjo were in pretty poor shape IMO. Deferred maintenance, I suspect. The road to Rockwood was very good. Also, my traveling companion and I both noticed a significant number of homes between Newport and Greenville that had obviously been empty for months, if not years. Still, Dover-Foxcroft and Greenville both felt prosperous. Guilford OTOH seems to sink deeper into poverty and decrepitude every time I visit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine