Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2008, 03:21 PM

400 posts, read 795,062 times

Advertisements

Has anyone ever seen the Andy Griffith show where a man shows up in town and seems to know everyone and what's going on around town? Nobody knows what to make of him and where he came from. Turns out the guy had been subscribing to the Mayberry paper and fell in love with the town. By the time he visited it the first time he felt like he had lived there for years. Of course it freaked the townspeople out until they found out what was up.

And where am I going with this?... I almost feel that that's what it's going to be like the first time my family and I step into Eastport. It's almost like we've lived there for years by way of the internet. Pretty neat, eh?

I just hope no one gets freaked out by us
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2008, 04:09 PM

37,472 posts, read 61,423,512 times
Mayberry is a nice little town.

As is most of Maine

Old 06-14-2008, 07:05 PM

2,356 posts, read 5,721,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dano19606 View Post
Has anyone ever seen the Andy Griffith show where a man shows up in town and seems to know everyone and what's going on around town? Nobody knows what to make of him and where he came from. Turns out the guy had been subscribing to the Mayberry paper and fell in love with the town. By the time he visited it the first time he felt like he had lived there for years. Of course it freaked the townspeople out until they found out what was up.

And where am I going with this?... I almost feel that that's what it's going to be like the first time my family and I step into Eastport. It's almost like we've lived there for years by way of the internet. Pretty neat, eh?

I kind of remember that episode. I hope thats the way it works out for you. Sometimes we try and invision what something or someplace will be like, only to find it is not what we thought it was. But, I have a feeling you will be pleasantly suprised, I have only been to Eastport once, It was a wonderfull place .

Old 06-14-2008, 09:09 PM

129 posts, read 246,788 times
I think that was from reading the local paper, and the people thought he was an alien or spy or something. If you get a subscription to the Quoddy Tides, check out Don Dunbar's and Jimmy Lowe's pictures at Eastport, Maine Area Information Directory, and read the eastport blogs, you can step in seamlessly and everyone will think you're vaguely familiar, but you'll still be from away.

Old 06-15-2008, 05:53 AM

4,112 posts, read 6,522,024 times
Quote:

ROTFLMAO... we have said this very thing.

Old 06-15-2008, 06:51 AM

16,677 posts, read 15,684,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by willb View Post
I think that was from reading the local paper, and the people thought he was an alien or spy or something. If you get a subscription to the Quoddy Tides, check out Don Dunbar's and Jimmy Lowe's pictures at Eastport, Maine Area Information Directory, and read the eastport blogs, you can step in seamlessly and everyone will think you're vaguely familiar, but you'll still be from away.
I agree with Will. You should get a subscriptioin to The Quoddy Tides. You can also find local news on the web sites for the Bangor Daily News and WQDY FM radio. The Quoddy Tides now puts the front page stories on their web site, but you need to read inside to get all the local stories.

Old 06-15-2008, 10:34 AM

7,081 posts, read 8,950,769 times
Quote:
I remember that episode, didn't that guy turn out to be someone who was in the marines with Gomer Pyle?

Old 06-15-2008, 08:12 PM

222 posts, read 530,024 times
Default eastport

Just be realistic in your expectations. There are drugs,poverty, and politics in Eastport. It is not a nirvanna-be realistic and you won't be disappointed.

Old 06-16-2008, 09:54 AM

400 posts, read 795,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaineMathTCHER View Post
Just be realistic in your expectations. There are drugs,poverty, and politics in Eastport. It is not a nirvanna-be realistic and you won't be disappointed.
I realize that - I was talking about a person showing up in town and knowing everyone, even though he's unknown to them. I didn't think I'd show up in Eastport and find Mayberry.

Old 06-16-2008, 03:59 PM

129 posts, read 246,788 times
There's sadness and evil here in Eastport, but our door stays unlocked. One loser in town was just caught stealing ladies purses out of their cars, but so many people leave their purses and valuables in their unlocked cars. In the winter time a car thief would be humbled because half of the cars parked at the IGA are unlocked and running with the keys in the ignition. Some facets of the Drug problem has gotten better in the last few years but it certainly hasn't gone away. The "City" government and the school system; the tax-payers, are the largest employers in town, so sometimes livelihood gets in the way of the right thing to do. Still you can stand up and say your piece, and people will listen. It is a place where quirky people can be quirky, but not intrusive. Coming from a place where every house or car has a burglar alarm and everybody is so frightened of someone taking what is they think belongs to them, and terrified that the neighbor's SUV is going to be bigger than theirs, I like this better. There is no dress code. Nobody cares what kind of car you drive. I do worry, but its more about whether the cats will come in before the fox comes by, or whether the garbage can lid is on tight enough to keep the raccoons out. I worry about whether my children will have enough to keep them busy this summer, but I feel that I am much more involved with them than I could be any place else. Eastport attracts people who want have a good life here and do good things. Some of them find it, some don't, but it seems that everyone I've seen come here in the last 5 years has contributed to making this place better even if some of them have already left.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine