Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2008, 08:33 PM

37,468 posts, read 61,406,816 times

Advertisements

My fellow Mainers; What about firewood farming?

We have gotten to discussing the idea of clearing some forest and planting poplars for firewood production. We do have some poplar already growing in our forest. We could begin doing cuttings from existing trees, to propagate more where we want them. We could attempt to plant an acre or two each year. Then after 6 or 7 years, cut them down into cords for sale. Then graft cuttings onto the stumps, for faster re-growth. I have not done any grafting since I got out of college, but it was not hard to do.

What are your opinions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2008, 08:38 PM

7,727 posts, read 12,384,753 times
Brilliant. You can use a rooting compound that would increase your survival rates on your cuttings. I imagine you know what you're doing . I think you have a very good idea there.

Old 06-14-2008, 09:16 PM

4,282 posts, read 15,749,873 times
Not a horrible plan, but a couple of potential hurdles come to mind.

1. White-tail deer are fond of new growth poplar. Beavers think it's the eqivalent of filet mignon.

2. Poplar isn't exactly ideal firewood. While it's certainly burnable when dry, and does throw good heat, it really doesn't have much staying power when compared to oak, ash, maple etc. It also tends to burn to complete ash rather than leaving a bed of coals. Poplar is more suited to a fall and spring firewood rather than a January wood.

That being said, I doubt you'd have to take cuttings or grafts to replant. Poplars pollard quite nicely from the stump after being cut, and they have a noted ability to spread new trees from root knees. Six years might be a little optimistic for a harvest cycle, but 10 -12 years would probably result in a 10-inch butt.

Old 06-14-2008, 09:22 PM

37,468 posts, read 61,406,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msina View Post
Brilliant. You can use a rooting compound that would increase your survival rates on your cuttings. I imagine you know what you're doing . I think you have a very good idea there.
Yes, a rooting hormone compound, like aspirin [willow-sap which is in the same family as the poplar]. Ooops, actually I might not, it just might be a bit over-kill, in this case. Seeing that these trees already produce a rooting hormone.

Thank you though it was a very good idea.

I have played with willow before, but never poplar. Since they are very similiar [in growth methods and chemistry], I would imagine that it should not be a huge leap.

Old 06-14-2008, 09:25 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,671,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornerguy1 View Post
Not a horrible plan, but a couple of potential hurdles come to mind.

1. White-tail deer are fond of new growth poplar. Beavers think it's the eqivalent of filet mignon.

2. Poplar isn't exactly ideal firewood. While it's certainly burnable when dry, and does throw good heat, it really doesn't have much staying power when compared to oak, ash, maple etc. It also tends to burn to complete ash rather than leaving a bed of coals. Poplar is more suited to a fall and spring firewood rather than a January wood.

That being said, I doubt you'd have to take cuttings or grafts to replant. Poplars pollard quite nicely from the stump after being cut, and they have a noted ability to spread new trees from root knees. Six years might be a little optimistic for a harvest cycle, but 10 -12 years would probably result in a 10-inch butt.
They call it biscuit wood around here! It makes a hot fire then goes out!

Old 06-14-2008, 10:41 PM

112 posts, read 283,523 times
If You delivered Me a load of firewood with a lot of Poplar in it I would refuse it . Even down here in mass.
Bob
Ps.
The fact that I bought and cut 240 cords of firewood from the Wachusett reservoir in 1985 . Then moved to Me. for a few years and logged with My own Skidder . Has No influence for My dislike of the many dealers down here who sell poplar as firewood .
Pps
Forest
You could always make musical instruments out of Your trees .

Old 06-15-2008, 02:57 AM

7,488 posts, read 10,490,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
We have gotten to discussing the idea of clearing some forest and planting poplars for firewood production.
Is there another species you could use, with similar characteristics, that would be better as firewood? Sounds like a superlative idea otherwise!

Old 06-15-2008, 06:06 AM

169 posts, read 550,537 times
my dad used to call poplar "biscuit sticks".........when making biscuits in a cookstove a hot fire was needed and a few armloads of 2"-3" poplar sticks did the trick

Old 06-15-2008, 06:46 AM

653 posts, read 1,919,090 times
poplars are growing wild in my wood lot here, the local call tuliptree. seedling start from seeds seem to grow very fast. wood is softer than (oak,beech and iron wood) growing around here. it grow streight trunk, easy to cut and slit for fire wood, "ha ha my log split skill getting better" , it has pretty and high heat flame but don't think it last long in wood stove.

Old 06-15-2008, 11:09 AM

3,468 posts, read 7,243,213 times
Poplar is not good firewood. It would make good kindling. Poplar plywood is good for cabinets, but it will propbly grow faster down south.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine