Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2008, 01:43 PM

2,356 posts, read 5,717,566 times

Advertisements

thought we could have a thread that deals with the variety of ways to heat our homes this winter.

Anyone use or know about "outdoor furnaces" like an outdoor wood furnace or coal furnace? t This would be a forced hot water type system.

The coal sounds interesting to me because of the cost and having it outdoors might mean less mess.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2008, 02:24 PM

2,059 posts, read 4,202,016 times
they are great.i have one.the one i have now i have had for about 10 yrs the one befor this one i bought used and had that one for 5yrs.mine is a larger one 300gal 400,000 btu becouse i heat the house ,wood shop,and truckshop,the trick is to keep your heat up dont let the fire die off to much.from what i understand the new ones are much more eficiant than the old ones.65-80% depending on the quality of wood.some times its not fun when its 20below but you only need to do it 2 times a day.i done a cost estimet a cpl yrs back.if i was to just heat the house and nothing else i could heat it with 5 1/2 cord.for oct-mar.but my home is well insulated . all my bros and sisters have them.my younger bros house isnt verry well insulated and his owf is a wood hog.you will lose some of your heat through the ground so make sure that the line is well insulated.if you have any moor ???? pleas feel free to ask.

Old 07-12-2008, 04:59 PM

thanx ranger. what do you know about the coal furnaces. do they burn longer? 2 times a day seems like a lot....especially if your gone for few days.

Old 07-12-2008, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flycessna View Post
thanx ranger. what do you know about the coal furnaces. do they burn longer? 2 times a day seems like a lot....especially if your gone for few days.
i dont know a whole lot about the coal furnace.i fill mine two times a day becouse i dont pack it if i was to pack the wood to it it will go two days.i started doing it that way but every other day id forget to put wood in it so i got in the habbit of twice a day.my wife likes it. its realy easy to use.most of the time i wasnt home so dw done all the loading she knows that stove inside out.

Old 07-12-2008, 06:51 PM

ok i was reading up on coal one tone of coal = 1 cord of wood +/-.the stoves are some what the same what i like about the coal is you can get a hopper feeder and wouldnt have to go near itfor a week unless the power went out.then you have to feed it with a shovle.its a little cheaper than wood 137 ton compared to 175 to 220.

Old 07-12-2008, 08:10 PM

thats what I was hearing about the coal was that you didn't need to fill it as often.

I suppose there probably is a pellet verson also that would have a hopper feeder.

Can you burn pellets, or those new bio bricks?

the bio bricks (compressed sawdust) I have heard burn very hot, longer, and cleaner than wood.

Old 07-14-2008, 08:33 AM

8,767 posts, read 18,663,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flycessna View Post
thats what I was hearing about the coal was that you didn't need to fill it as often.

I suppose there probably is a pellet verson also that would have a hopper feeder.

Can you burn pellets, or those new bio bricks?

the bio bricks (compressed sawdust) I have heard burn very hot, longer, and cleaner than wood.
I like the idea of the compressed sawdust bricks. I'm thinking of trying a pallet of them this winter. The interesting thing about them is they can make them out of anything that burns. Sawdust, wood chips, leaves, dried grass, all sorts of stuff. There could be a new industry in Maine just rounding up leaves and compressing them into fuel bricks! Every dump or recycling station in Maine should install a collection station where people could dump their leaves into a rolloff bin and send them to the fuel brick maker.

Old 07-14-2008, 11:51 AM

307 posts, read 1,588,979 times
Default Newspaper logs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineah View Post
I like the idea of the compressed sawdust bricks. I'm thinking of trying a pallet of them this winter. The interesting thing about them is they can make them out of anything that burns. Sawdust, wood chips, leaves, dried grass, all sorts of stuff. There could be a new industry in Maine just rounding up leaves and compressing them into fuel bricks! Every dump or recycling station in Maine should install a collection station where people could dump their leaves into a rolloff bin and send them to the fuel brick maker.
OMG, that reminds me of when I was a kid and had to make newpaper logs. My dad bought this log rolling hand crank machine thing and everything. I wonder how much heat they'd put off.

I hadn't heard of the the sawdust bricks. What do they stick the stuff together with?

Old 07-14-2008, 11:54 AM

8,767 posts, read 18,663,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moxie View Post
OMG, that reminds me of when I was a kid and had to make newpaper logs. My dad bought this log rolling hand crank machine thing and everything. I wonder how much heat they'd put off.

I hadn't heard of the the sawdust bricks. What do they stick the stuff together with?
I believe it is just high pressure that sticks everything together. Something like 10,000 pounds per square inch.

Old 07-14-2008, 12:02 PM

1,122 posts, read 4,108,243 times
The one thing I know for sure that will be heating me this winter is long underwear

Are the sawdust bricks similar to those fire starter thingies that seem to be held together with paraffin? Or...?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine