Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2008, 07:03 AM

406 posts, read 1,654,916 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post
It was going to be a timbered retaining wall; I don't know the length ????? I am going with junipers pines and ornamental shrubs. The slope isnt severe.....and I am sure plantings will hold it fine....The retaining wall would have allowed us to fill and level the yard....it would have been nice....but with moving, buying a house, furniture etc....getting estimates for $30,000 for three projects....brought out the "Do It Yourself" in us.
Isn't it amazing how much you really CAN do yourself? I am in the same boat, hiring out the things I know I can't do (metal roof) and doing the things I really believe I can handle (with my dad's guidance). We've replaced toilets, sinks, ceiling fans, built a wall...things I had never dreamed of doing myself. It feels good.
Anyway, I like the idea of blueberries and junipers. I've seen blueberries do ok in some shade (on the Cape). Let us know how it works out for you...and make some pie.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2008, 10:19 AM

48,133 posts, read 22,007,656 times
We just planted 10 spreading juniper on the slope and they look great....5 golden and 5 green......(and we got such a deal. )

Old 07-16-2008, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapeCodder View Post
Isn't it amazing how much you really CAN do yourself? I am in the same boat, hiring out the things I know I can't do (metal roof) and doing the things I really believe I can handle (with my dad's guidance). We've replaced toilets, sinks, ceiling fans, built a wall...things I had never dreamed of doing myself. It feels good.
Anyway, I like the idea of blueberries and junipers. I've seen blueberries do ok in some shade (on the Cape). Let us know how it works out for you...and make some pie.
We have been wondering about building a wall out front....but something tells me that is a skilled craft that requires more than enthusiasm....how was it when you built the wall.....???

Old 07-16-2008, 12:09 PM

Quote:
We have been wondering about building a wall out front....but something tells me that is a skilled craft that requires more than enthusiasm....how was it when you built the wall.....???
Are you talking about a rock wall or an interior wall? The wall we built was easy beans, but it was an interior wall in a barn...hehehe. Still...we built a wall! I did EXTENSIVE landscaping on the Cape...ripped out shrubs and replanted perennials...put in fencing...dug out many new beds...put in a patio.
I have goats now...so gardens are almost impossible as my little goats can attack a flower in two seconds and bite off every head. sigh.

It's hard physical work, but not hard to know how to do, especially with all the resources we have now. I'm sure you're well aware of the hard work with your love of gardening (that and all the junipers you just planted!).

Old 07-16-2008, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Are you talking about a rock wall or an interior wall? The wall we built was easy beans, but it was an interior wall in a barn...hehehe. Still...we built a wall! I did EXTENSIVE landscaping on the Cape...ripped out shrubs and replanted perennials...put in fencing...dug out many new beds...put in a patio.
I have goats now...so gardens are almost impossible as my little goats can attack a flower in two seconds and bite off every head. sigh.

It's hard physical work, but not hard to know how to do, especially with all the resources we have now. I'm sure you're well aware of the hard work with your love of gardening (that and all the junipers you just planted!).
We were thinking of a field stone retaining wall--not very high. I don't think we should take it on.....we will see.

We are neither afraid of hard work....we are afraid of taking on a job that takes more skill than we possess. LOL not only did we plant the 8 junipers but my guy went back and got 8 dwarf blue spuce trees (they will grow 3 feet tall and spread 5 feet) like I say, "such a deal" he went for 4 and came home with 8. They are really beautiful trees....heavy as heck.....I don't know what they have in those pots they are really really heavy.

This morning I cultivated and weeded the beds that run parallel to the drive about 36 feet long....this evening we will start planting spruce trees....they are going to circle the grassy front yard -- much of the area will be naturalized....but the front yard will have gardens outlining it and the spruce to add definition they are going to be in an arc shape avoiding straight lines in the design.

Old 07-16-2008, 12:38 PM

Quote:
We are neither afraid of hard work....we are afraid of taking on a job that takes more skill than we possess. LOL not only did we plant the 8 junipers but my guy went back and got 8 dwarf blue spuce trees (they will grow 3 feet tall and spread 5 feet) like I say, "such a deal" he went for 4 and came home with 8. They are really beautiful trees....heavy as heck.....I don't know what they have in those pots they are really really heavy.

This morning I cultivated and weeded the beds that run parallel to the drive about 36 feet long....this evening we will start planting spruce trees....they are going to circle the grassy front yard -- much of the area will be naturalized....but the front yard will have gardens outlining it and the spruce to add definition they are going to be in an arc shape avoiding straight lines in the design.
Ooh you're going to have to post photos! I laugh every time you write "such a deal"...I picture you saying that in a NY accent...my brother says it all the time.

Back on topic...since you guys can handle the labor I would say go for it, I think you can handle the task. If it proves to be too much hire out then...at least you tried. Especially if money is getting tight. I bet you get it done faster than hired help too!

Old 07-16-2008, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Ooh you're going to have to post photos! I laugh every time you write "such a deal"...I picture you saying that in a NY accent...my brother says it all the time.

Back on topic...since you guys can handle the labor I would say go for it, I think you can handle the task. If it proves to be too much hire out then...at least you tried. Especially if money is getting tight. I bet you get it done faster than hired help too!
I appreciate your confidence.....I did learn that you have to dig a shallow foundation, prepare a level bed (rock dust or sand) and then work with a level........to tell you the truth.....I hope my DP doesnt persue this idea this year......I am really extended taking care of what we already have.

Old 07-16-2008, 03:21 PM

2,712 posts, read 5,655,274 times
Default rock walls

with all of them I see around here, I cannot imagine that it is not possible for "ordinary" folk to build them.

the house we lived in for several years in WA state... the one that had the former market garden attached... was a passive solar, semi-underground home and the downstairs living quarters looked out on a 10' wide (more or less) sunken lawn and then rock terrace gardens up to "ground level." The terraces were built by one of the previous owners, by hand, by himself. And while he had many talents (in many ways he reminds me of you, Elston... he, too, would quote poems at the drop of the hat, for one... ) having been a stone mason was NOT one of them.

He was a senior citizen when he did this monumental project (the house was 45 feet long, I believe), finding, hauling and placing all the rocks (no mortar involved) all by himself, all by hand. I asked him about it once and he said it was just a matter of finding the right place for each rock. And each rock did have a right place... I think he must have balanced the hours spent hauling rock with hours spent looking at the rocks at hand (he did not carry all to the location before beginning the project) and at each wall, as it stood at that moment. He was also an excellent cook, gardener and quilter... all of which in my opinion require patience. And I think that is the key...

Old 07-16-2008, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by starwalker View Post
with all of them I see around here, I cannot imagine that it is not possible for "ordinary" folk to build them.

the house we lived in for several years in WA state... the one that had the former market garden attached... was a passive solar, semi-underground home and the downstairs living quarters looked out on a 10' wide (more or less) sunken lawn and then rock terrace gardens up to "ground level." The terraces were built by one of the previous owners, by hand, by himself. And while he had many talents (in many ways he reminds me of you, Elston... he, too, would quote poems at the drop of the hat, for one... ) having been a stone mason was NOT one of them.

He was a senior citizen when he did this monumental project (the house was 45 feet long, I believe), finding, hauling and placing all the rocks (no mortar involved) all by himself, all by hand. I asked him about it once and he said it was just a matter of finding the right place for each rock. And each rock did have a right place... I think he must have balanced the hours spent hauling rock with hours spent looking at the rocks at hand (he did not carry all to the location before beginning the project) and at each wall, as it stood at that moment. He was also an excellent cook, gardener and quilter... all of which in my opinion require patience. And I think that is the key...
Starwalker:

You post is inspiring, not about building or not building a rock wall....it has many levels of meaning that apply across life and its many challenges. Whether or not I end up building a wall......I am better for having asked the question and then having your story. Yes indeed in so many aspects of life it is finding where a "stone" (challenge, person, oppurtunity, fear, impetuousness .....) will fit.....and not being afraid to find its place in the scheme of things. We all fit, we all have a place.

Thank You wise woman.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine