Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2015, 08:32 AM

45 posts, read 109,540 times

Advertisements

Been thinking of the rumors that they are going to abolish Income Tax here in Maine. I can see the masses jumping up and down with joy. But the money has to come from somewhere. They'll get it one way and another.. not sure how at this point. I think of New Hampshire with no sales tax.. The state my sister used to live in. When her Real Estate tax reached 8500 a year she packed up and moved to Florida. Seems to me that it's just a move to get the wealthy to pay less on their money and put the burden on the lower income earners. Just what we need in Piscatiquis and Washington counties where most people are just scraping by. Can almost see 5 or 10 years later when they decide they probably should reinstate it. If this becomes a reality sooner or later their going to hold our feet to the fire. Just an opinion.. anybody have any ideas whats going on?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2015, 10:22 AM

7,081 posts, read 8,950,769 times
Eliminating an income tax and relying solely on a sales tax would be the best way to fund state government anywhere, including the federal government. Income tax codes can be manipulated and loaded with loopholes to benefit the politically well connected. The governor here in Ohio who is just as nutty as LePage restructured the tax code so the bottom 20% pays $61/year more and the 1%ers pay $10,000 less.

Old 01-04-2015, 10:27 AM

6,928 posts, read 5,908,758 times
I think that both Governor LePage and Governor Kasich are doing a great job of looking out for the working class.

Old 01-04-2015, 11:08 AM

266 posts, read 285,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostbite View Post
Seems to me that it's just a move to get the wealthy to pay less on their money and put the burden on the lower income earners.
That's exactly what it is. A sales tax is regressive in that the poor pay a higher percentage of their income towards it.

Old 01-04-2015, 12:34 PM

1,180 posts, read 2,491,620 times
It all depends on how the sales tax is implemented. IF a sales tax excludes the following: food, medicine, fuel/oil, utilities, and the other necessities, it is not necessarily regressive. IF the tax is on everything, of course the poor, and low income would be affected. Some states have a "sin" tax on alcohol and tobacco, since everyone knows these two items cost state Medicaid programs large amounts of money.

Old 01-04-2015, 01:07 PM

1,473 posts, read 3,202,253 times
Everyone should have to pay SOMETHING to support the government... and that means every tax used to do so. That gives everyone a stake in the cost/benefit analysis involved in spending taxpayer money. That's the problem with the income tax. Many don't pay it. So, I think a sales or value added tax is a great idea.

Old 01-04-2015, 01:14 PM

973 posts, read 2,382,960 times
Maine Income Tax was instituted in 1969, the same year as Municipal Revenue Sharing. The theory was the State would collect Income Tax statewide and distribute it to Municipalities and therefore reduce the impact of real estate taxes on Locals. Fast forward to today and the State basically has eliminated most of the Revenue Sharing to Municipalities and is spending the money other ways. We are getting ripped off now and they should eliminate the State Income Tax if they are not going to do Revenue Sharing.

This link will tell you way more than you'll ever want to know about taxes in Maine.

SECTION I – INTRODUCTION

Old 01-04-2015, 08:01 PM

7,081 posts, read 8,950,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maineguy8888 View Post
I think that both Governor LePage and Governor Kasich are doing a great job of looking out for the working class.
The working class here in Ohio misses Ted Strickland, and his pro gun record.

Old 01-05-2015, 10:13 AM

16,042 posts, read 21,978,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostbite View Post
Been thinking of the rumors that they are going to abolish Income Tax here in Maine. I can see the masses jumping up and down with joy. But the money has to come from somewhere. They'll get it one way and another.. not sure how at this point. I think of New Hampshire with no sales tax.. The state my sister used to live in. When her Real Estate tax reached 8500 a year she packed up and moved to Florida. Seems to me that it's just a move to get the wealthy to pay less on their money and put the burden on the lower income earners. Just what we need in Piscatiquis and Washington counties where most people are just scraping by. Can almost see 5 or 10 years later when they decide they probably should reinstate it. If this becomes a reality sooner or later their going to hold our feet to the fire. Just an opinion.. anybody have any ideas whats going on?
If that happens, your reasoning is right on. In Mass., "gov" is talking about the same thing...lowering income tax and sales tax....which affect retirees and seniors relatively less....and upping the property tax, which affects retirees and seniors much more (even many who are mortgage-free will suffer, as retirement/senior income doesn't generally rise). The general "movements" in the richer states are to make wealthy people wealthier and less wealthy people even less so.

Old 01-05-2015, 05:01 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,236,853 times
why cant we reduce spending??

why cant we reduce government waste??

maine spends and spends on bonds on top of bonds

id love to see less taxes,
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine