Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2008, 10:25 AM

5,245 posts, read 16,425,771 times

Advertisements

Ok, it's not Eastport. I'm just so desperate to get out of here I've started looking at surrounding areas. Found a nice little place with water views in Cutler, and under the deed type it has listed 'quit claim'. Anyone know what that is? I know I had bought a home with my ex husband and when we were divorcing he refused to move out or pay the taxes or mortgage so my attorney told me to file quit claim. It was mortgaged for more than it was worth anyway. Not like it would sell and I'd be out anything. And he was trashing it. So now I wonder if something odd is going on with this place???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2008, 10:58 AM

8,767 posts, read 18,665,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs1885 View Post
Ok, it's not Eastport. I'm just so desperate to get out of here I've started looking at surrounding areas. Found a nice little place with water views in Cutler, and under the deed type it has listed 'quit claim'. Anyone know what that is? I know I had bought a home with my ex husband and when we were divorcing he refused to move out or pay the taxes or mortgage so my attorney told me to file quit claim. It was mortgaged for more than it was worth anyway. Not like it would sell and I'd be out anything. And he was trashing it. So now I wonder if something odd is going on with this place???
Avoid Cutler. It has a submarine antenna array that produces VLF (very low frequency) electromagnetic waves which have been linked to various cancers. Google VLF and you won't buy a place in Cutler.

Old 10-22-2008, 11:10 AM

467 posts, read 1,124,906 times
Ask the seller to give you a warranty deed by getting a title search and buying title insurance. T&B Title in Ellsworth can provide you with more information on this as to price and details. It's really not complicated unless something comes back with the title search. Their phone number is 207-667-0670.

Old 10-22-2008, 01:37 PM

1,973 posts, read 5,223,437 times
A Quit Claim deed is usually granted from one Joint Tenant to another, often in a divorce, but not always. Just because the most recent deed is a Quit Claim, that does not mean that the deed that you get can't be a Warranty, as I always ask for a Warranty Deed when I help clients write offers and usually get one. Speak to your Buyer Agent or Title Company/Attorney and make sure your next purchase and sale agreement asks for a Warranty Deed.

Old 10-22-2008, 01:46 PM

37,453 posts, read 61,373,044 times
When I bought this property, the seller offered to do a 'quit claim' deed. It would have cost me nothing, and I would have had a deed in hand.

They are perfectly legal.

I however wanted a lawyer, so we got a land transaction lawyer. He did the title search and title insurance for me, wrote a new deed, and handled the escrow.

It cost me $200. All of his real estate transactions are a $200 flat fee.

Much land in Maine is traded or sold using 'quit claim' deeds. However it is also perfectly acceptable to use a lawyer. Fortunately you can do it all with a lawyer and it does not cost much.

It is all about how much you wish to spend.

Old 10-22-2008, 02:04 PM

37,453 posts, read 61,373,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineah View Post
Avoid Cutler. It has a submarine antenna array that produces VLF (very low frequency) electromagnetic waves which have been linked to various cancers. Google VLF and you won't buy a place in Cutler.
As a career submariner I had heard of Cutler many times, and it's location had been drilled into my head repeatedly.

So when I first came to Maine shopping for land, I had to go visit Cutler.

Sure enough it is a big antenna farm. The second largest radio transmitter on the planet.

VLF radiation is a possible concern in that area. However seeing that it is a really big RF transmitter, which uses a lot of power, I would be more concerned about other forms of radiation.

When you consider what it takes to be in the ranking for the title "world's largest consumer of electrical power" you can well imagine the other types of radiation that might well be present.

Obviously I not implying the presence, or non-presence of any other forms of radiation in the area.

Cutler is an extremely important military asset, it's continued operation is vital to our nation's interests. The ability of communicating with submerged subs, is a very highly valued ability, regardless of how much electrical power it requires.

And it is located in a fairly barren grassy area. You can see for miles and miles, across those barren fields.

Cutler is a very nice area.

Old 10-22-2008, 03:39 PM

5,245 posts, read 16,425,771 times
Thanks for all the info. I'll look a little closer into Cutler before anything else. Hubby has enough medical problems. He seems to be a magnet for any major illness. Last thing I need is to move him to a place that has something with a *potential* to be an issue. I'm sure without fail it would be for him.

Old 10-22-2008, 03:57 PM

1,220 posts, read 3,933,328 times
A Quit Claim means exactly that. The person granting a Quit Claim is "quitting" any claim on the property. Well and good.

But, if the title or boundaries are at all clouded, then there could well be a problem that surfaces a few years down the road when the daughter of the next door neighbor inherits that land and does a title search and detailed survey to discover that the correct boundary is half way across your property. Then the "Quit Claim" just doesn't cut it.

If a Quit Claim deed is given, then it needs to include a "convenant" (Quit Claim with Covenant"), which is a guarantee that the seller "covenants" that the deed is true, and will defend it as such after the fact. This is the strongest common deed used in Maine and most rural areas.

A Warranty Deed "warrants" that the deed description is exact and without normal challenge. Highly unlikely to find a warranty deed in an old property unless someone has spent quite a lot of money clearing the title to the land including surveying the boundaries exactly, and doing a LOT of research.

We looked at some beautiful commercial property along the river in Old Town a few years ago. We felt that the potential for the land in terms of investment was tremendous. When the attorney dug into it, he found that the lot had been built out of a combination of two lots dating more than one hundred years prior. The second and largest of the two lots had a deed description that was really ragged, and it was the lawyer's opinion that it would take six months of research to find out whether or not that deed could actually be cleared back before 1890, and his advice was to pass as all we could get was a quit claim deed on the whole parcel.

It was too deep for us, and we walked away from the deal entirely. Great price, too! But as often happens, when it seems too good to be true, it usually is.

Hire a real estate lawyer before you jump.

Old 10-22-2008, 04:59 PM

7,058 posts, read 9,077,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs1885 View Post
Thanks for all the info. I'll look a little closer into Cutler before anything else. Hubby has enough medical problems. He seems to be a magnet for any major illness. Last thing I need is to move him to a place that has something with a *potential* to be an issue. I'm sure without fail it would be for him.
RF signal strength is an Inverse Square Ratio, if you measure the RF field at a given distance from the antenna, then double the distance, the signal strength will not be only half of what you previously measured, but one quarter.

The further away you get from the source, the greater the diminishment of the field strength. Unless the property is located directly under the antennas, you have little to worry about. You should be more concerned about the cell phone antenna radiating microwaves into your brain from only a few centimeters distance...or the wireless card in your computer. The Cutler array isn't hurting anyone.

Old 10-22-2008, 05:03 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,665,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post
RF signal strength is an Inverse Square Ratio, if you measure the RF field at a given distance from the antenna, then double the distance, the signal strength will not be only half of what you previously measured, but one quarter.

The further away you get from the source, the greater the diminishment of the field strength. Unless the property is located directly under the antennas, you have little to worry about. You should be more concerned about the cell phone antenna radiating microwaves into your brain from only a few centimeters distance...or the wireless card in your computer. The Cutler array isn't hurting anyone.
Bull!!! As soon as you can definitively prove it is harmless we will annoint you expert ....until then it's just another opinion. If it is using a million watt source you have plenty to worry about! Check the studies! Look up the HAARP array...Cutler is very similar. I wouldn't live anywhere near it. It's also a top nuclear weapon target! You can live there if you want to!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine