Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2010, 09:20 PM

8 posts, read 9,479 times

Advertisements

HI!

My Husband and I, and our children of course, are planning on moving to Maine. We are giving ourselves a 4 year time frame.

We want to have everything laid out. Cities and Jobs are something we don't know anything about there and without traveling, will not know anything.

So I found this website, and I hope it helps!

My husband would train for a new job, but what is popular there, what could he train for in 2 years and make a decent living?

We would like a City, that is near rural area sort've, but a good small town..not small enough that we'd have to travel a hour for house-hold items though. I do love woods and big yards.

We would need to find a city that had a home in our price range, up to 250,000. 4 Bedroom and large kitchen. Big yard. Not small, we plan on staying a very long time.

TY a million for any information you can provide!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2010, 09:22 PM

Oh, and if for temporary we had to Rent, What are prices for something like that like...or are there not many options in that area.

Old 09-07-2010, 10:10 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,673,997 times
You should visit Maine and see where you might like to live. At that time you can see the variety of places there are to buy and rent and get a feel for what it would take to make a living in the part of Maine you choose. Mainers live in everything from single room cabins to multi million dollar mega mansions and everything in between. We live on the coast, the mountains, the lake shores, river fronts, the cities (small though they are), or surrounded by thousands of acres of woodlands or farm land. Rents can be as low as a few hundred dollars a month to several thousand dollars a week depending on the house, it's location, and the time of year. People make a living doing everything imaginable here. It is not uncommon for people to have several jobs in Maine. We have everything from returnable bottle pickers to farmers to boat builders, fishermen, movie stars to self-made independently-wealthy people in Maine. It runs the entire spectrum. We would have no idea what your husband is capable of doing or what he is interested in doing. No matter what his choice two years isn't long to learn a career.
You have to come here and spend time to figure out what you can afford, when you can afford it and how you'll pay for it all when you get here. If you have some specific questions we can answer we'll try. It's tough to talk in generalities.

Old 09-07-2010, 10:21 PM

6,928 posts, read 5,907,803 times
It really does depend on which part of the state you are talking about. Home prices in the southern part of the state, and along the coast, are higher than the central part. And they are ALOT higher than the northern part (where I live). More people live in the southern part.
If your husband learns a very specific career which is in demand, he can do well here. But overall the economy here is not that great.
I like that you have given yourself a long time frame to figure it out. People who just "up and move" to Maine are often not able to make a go of it.

Old 09-08-2010, 01:19 AM

I understand that the economy there isn't the greatest, But it is worse here.
We were looking at something central, away from the coast. Kinda a place we have to drive to go to the grocery.
And hoping the job situation could be a specific career choice, we did some research and there are a lot of supervisor positions in the manufacturing industry. Charles has 15 years in managing experence so I wasn't really meaning a total new skill, I meant training for updating his skills since he hasn't managed in about 4 years. We are planning our next trip next fall (of course right?)
We are not only planning this, we are doing it! We have a savings plan in place, so we have a surplus when we move.
There are no Jobs here, I'm POSITIVE there are more there, even if there are less than before. I live in a region where the unemployment rate is in the top 5 worse places in the country. It is terrible, Our children deserve a fresh start, as do we.
For a sturdy future are there any cities suggested us to look at?

Old 09-08-2010, 05:31 AM

7,057 posts, read 9,083,997 times
Quote:
I understand that the economy there isn't the greatest, But it is worse here.

And hoping the job situation could be a specific career choice, we did some research and there are a lot of supervisor positions in the manufacturing industry.
What manufacturing industry? A lot of supervisor positions?

I don't know where you're looking but I haven't seen this. Here in the Bangor area the "Help Wanted" listings are rather sparse.

Quote:
Charles has 15 years in managing experence so I wasn't really meaning a total new skill, I meant training for updating his skills since he hasn't managed in about 4 years. We are planning our next trip next fall (of course right?)
We are not only planning this, we are doing it! We have a savings plan in place, so we have a surplus when we move.
There are no Jobs here, I'm POSITIVE there are more there, even if there are less than before. I live in a region where the unemployment rate is in the top 5 worse places in the country. It is terrible, Our children deserve a fresh start, as do we.
For a sturdy future are there any cities suggested us to look at?
Quote:
We would need to find a city that had a home in our price range, up to 250,000. 4 Bedroom and large kitchen. Big yard. Not small, we plan on staying a very long time. We were looking at something central, away from the coast. Kinda a place we have to drive to go to the grocery.
Is 20 acres a big enough yard? You could find that around Bangor or Waterville or Augusta easily, away from the coast. Quiet towns with some small stores locally and less than 1/2 hour from the big stores. Right about now $250k should get you that easily.

BUT- however bad you may think the job situation is where you are now, don't count on it being any better here. I think you need to investigate the situation more, this is likely to be your biggest consideration.

Old 09-08-2010, 08:06 AM

The situation will be investigated more. We are not taking this on lightly. Plus hopefully in 3 1/2-4 yrs the economy is better a bit anyways. Im not talking about tomorrow guys.

Old 09-08-2010, 08:25 AM

7,057 posts, read 9,083,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Misslayla View Post
The situation will be investigated more. We are not taking this on lightly. Plus hopefully in 3 1/2-4 yrs the economy is better a bit anyways. Im not talking about tomorrow guys.
Ah, that is a considerable time frame. Things could change by then.

Old 09-08-2010, 08:48 AM

701 posts, read 1,083,455 times
Hopefully you'll be able to find the time to research old threads in this forum. There is a wealth of information and it could keep you busy for hours and hours..............

Good luck!

Old 09-08-2010, 09:59 AM

ty. Ive looked at some places in the cities suggested...Homes there are nice. Wish I knew what the backyards looked like. Ty for your input. We are excited about the move. And have a sturdy -money plan in place. We are moving! I am exited.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine