Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-19-2008, 08:32 PM

2,905 posts, read 7,347,484 times

Advertisements

My dad has a small camp up on Brassua Lake (off moosehead lake--I am sure you are all from Maine and familiar with the area) Anyhow, the story is that my grandpa leased it for a hundred years in the 1960's or 70's.
I love the camp but there are two problems with it:
1.) It's too far away. I live in western ma and it takes about 7 hours to get to camp, and today's gas prices are not helping.
and 2.) My dad has given me a hard time about who I can take up there with me--he & mom are divorced and he doesn't want me bringing my mom's brother up there with me, and I can't deal with dad if he's going to harass me about who I can and can't take up there.

So, my question is, does anyone know of any area similar to brassua lake in a more southern area of Maine? I love Maine, but I am interested in buying my own place, somewhere close enough for me to get there for a long weekend that won't kill my gas tank either. (I live in western Mass)

I also don't want some crowded, over priced area either. It should be affordable (maybe 100K or less, if that is even possible) and on a lake. Does such a place exist in southern maine or is southern maine to populated? Or will it just cost more money?

I am not looking for a palace, mind you, just a basic camp (i do need at least electricity and phone, not nec. cable television)

Thanks for your help!

Last edited by mommytotwo; 08-19-2008 at 08:34 PM.. Reason: forgot a detail
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2008, 08:41 PM

1,973 posts, read 5,222,076 times
Hi mommytotwo,

Welcome to the forum. I think you'll have a hard time finding your own access to water in Southern Maine on that budget. There might be places with Rights of Way or shared access to water.

Old 08-19-2008, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoFanMe View Post
Hi mommytotwo,

Welcome to the forum. I think you'll have a hard time finding your own access to water in Southern Maine on that budget. There might be places with Rights of Way or shared access to water.
thanks!

hmmmm.......

does that mean something like this might still be available up north? It's just so far! Although I do love being so close to Quebec! (believe it or not my father goes probably 15+ times per year, I don't know how he does it.)

Have you ever heard of this 100 year lease thing? (I might actually have heard something about my grandparents having bought out the lease at some point, but I really don't remember)

Old 08-19-2008, 09:58 PM

Oh, and sorry, what kind of budget would I need to be looking at for what I described?

Old 08-20-2008, 04:57 AM

67 posts, read 212,768 times
hi there, glad to see your into campin up in maine! i camp every year about 2 or 3 times. i live in augusta and my camp is up in bingham/phillps area. the camp isnt on the waters at all, takes a lil ride on the ATVS and before you know it, we are on sandy river. Alots of nice swimming spots.

Hate to bust your bubble here. You wont find any thing cheaper down southern part of maine than the north. A lil bit of shopping around and some homeworks will get you something. I've found few lodges forsale in google but forgot where, and it was considerablly cheap for summer and winter. But then again, winter is pretty costy and depending on locations, it's costy.

I love the old style of camping, pitch a tent and enjoy the true style of camping in maine!

Old 08-20-2008, 06:00 AM

48,112 posts, read 21,992,097 times
I just saw a camp on Round Pond in Plymouth Maine for $105,000. My family used to vacation on Round Pond......some years ago.....nice pond with loons.

Old 08-20-2008, 06:09 AM

10,428 posts, read 18,673,204 times
I sent her a DM. It can be done.

Old 08-20-2008, 12:48 PM

1,973 posts, read 5,222,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommytotwo View Post
Oh, and sorry, what kind of budget would I need to be looking at for what I described?
Hi mommytotwo,

I'll check into some ideas tonight and send you a DM.

Old 08-20-2008, 05:39 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,673,204 times
Back around 1903, Scott Paper Company granted numerous leases on lakes in their properties. Some were for as low as a dollar a year. I know one family that tried to renew their lease on First Roach Pond in 2003. The rate was considerably higher, but that family had a beautiful classic Maine log lodge on their lease. They didn't have much choice. They had to renew. Now Plum Creek owns the land under that lodge. I'll have to check and see what the status is today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine