Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-28-2008, 06:55 PM

2,059 posts, read 4,204,513 times

Advertisements

On my way home today i see an old man changing a tire on the hiway so i pulld over to help.As i got out of my truch another old man got out of the car and said thank you for stoping.I told him your welcome.So i took of my shirt and tie and got out the jack from my truck and 4 way wheel wrench and changed the tire.we talkd while i was working and i found out that they were father and son.the son was 76 and the father was 95 and sharp as a tack.
when i finishd they wanted to buy me a lunch for my help and i said no i cant it will ruin my supper,so they said a coffie then i siad ok.to my supprise the father got in the drivers seat and the son looks back and said you think you can keep up and give a little smerk.you no that old guy could drive 70 75 up the hi way i was thinking 60 65 boy was i wrong.as we pulld in to a truck stop and found a spot.we drove around for a min finaly we parkd.the father gets out and says i didnt want to park in a handy cap becouse some one else may need it.we talkd for about two hrs and it was amazeing i felt like i lived a whole life time in just a cpl hrs.henery was born in 1913 and has realy seen it all and alonzo was borne1932 and to his father is still just a kid.it seemd like we talkd about every thing and i wishd i had longer to spend with them.it was a great day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2008, 07:18 PM

1,963 posts, read 4,754,752 times
What a treat to meet such a father-son team.
So sharp, even at an advanced age. Would we all be so lucky!

Old 09-28-2008, 08:03 PM

1,816 posts, read 3,392,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RANGER.101ST View Post
.henery was born in 1913 and has realy seen it all and alonzo was borne1932 and to his father is still just a kid.it seemd like we talkd about every thing and i wishd i had longer to spend with them.it was a great day.
They sound like the quintessential Mainers. The 95 year old sounds similar to a 90 year old man my family encountered at Maine Medical when my mom died in '03. All my brothers, sisters and father were in the waiting room when this old guy came in and sat near us and started telling us lots of his own family stories and not to worry too much. It's pretty natural he said. He buried all 11 of his brothers and sister and parents in no particlar order and he was the only one left. He was there at the hospital that day to see a friend. He was still a strong looking and sharp minded man who said he lived alone in an old farmhouse in Winterport. His nice attitude and independant carefree nature made us all feel pretty good that day. I too wish I could have spent more time with him.

Old 09-28-2008, 08:50 PM

2,059 posts, read 4,204,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMoore007 View Post
They sound like the quintessential Mainers. The 95 year old sounds similar to a 90 year old man my family encountered at Maine Medical when my mom died in '03. All my brothers, sisters and father were in the waiting room when this old guy came in and sat near us and started telling us lots of his own family stories and not to worry too much. It's pretty natural he said. He buried all 11 of his brothers and sister and parents in no particlar order and he was the only one left. He was there at the hospital that day to see a friend. He was still a strong looking and sharp minded man who said he lived alone in an old farmhouse in Winterport. His nice attitude and independant carefree nature made us all feel pretty good that day. I too wish I could have spent more time with him.
he was telling me that he had retired in 1980 and got bord and went back to work in 85 he made fun of his son telling him he needed to get a job to keep him self out of trouble.he still works 2 or 3 days a week.he was telling me that the econamy today has the same symtoms as it did when the great depretion began.he talkt about how he use to ride a mule to school and his first auto was a 1923 ford that use to get stuck in the snow so he would wrap rope around the wheels through the spokes like tire chains.i could have talkd to his all day it was facinating.

Old 09-28-2008, 09:17 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,691,590 times
They are all around us. Just look at the obits. There are Mainers in there every week that lived to be over 100.

Old 09-29-2008, 03:55 AM

4,112 posts, read 6,522,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
They are all around us. Just look at the obits. There are Mainers in there every week that lived to be over 100.

I believe that all that self reliance and hard work keeps folks around longer. Not so namby pamby.

Old 09-29-2008, 12:35 PM

874 posts, read 1,856,244 times
Sounds like a great pair.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine