Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2008, 07:55 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,686,915 times

Advertisements

It's going to be a bumpy road. The stock markets are down and companies will be forced to cut back on overtime, purchases and employment to survive. Maine people are better positioned to weather these times than most other states. Yes, we have high energy costs, but we grow our own fuel. Many Mainers grow their own food and we can barter when times are tough. Our elders remember how it has been before. Talk to them and maintain contact. This internet can be a force for good or an incentive to panic. Embrace the good. Reach out to your friends, neighbors and the elderly. Mainers have been through such times before and come out the other side strong and well. We can too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2008, 08:00 PM

5,826 posts, read 9,609,504 times
Preparation is the key, as in all things.

Old 10-09-2008, 08:06 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,686,915 times
"Chance favors the prepared mind."

Louis Pasteur

Old 10-10-2008, 02:16 AM

1,220 posts, read 3,934,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
It's going to be a bumpy road. The stock markets are down and companies will be forced to cut back on overtime, purchases and employment to survive. Maine people are better positioned to weather these times than most other states. Yes, we have high energy costs, but we grow our own fuel. Many Mainers grow their own food and we can barter when times are tough. Our elders remember how it has been before. Talk to them and maintain contact. This internet can be a force for good or an incentive to panic. Embrace the good. Reach out to your friends, neighbors and the elderly. Mainers have been through such times before and come out the other side strong and well. We can too.

Perhaps it is high time for the State of Maine to reassess and take a new direction. Gov. Baldacci has made it a touchstone of his administration that Maine will become an exemplary service community catering more and more to the tourist industry. This is not the first time that a governor has decided that there is no need for industrial or agricultural growth in a state as this has continued a trend begun decades ago. Culturally American's have become more and more committed to the concept that everyone should have a college education and there after, everyone will become a white collar worker. From there we all were to become part of a great servicing culture.

The problem with all of that is in such a pristine environment, true wealth is not produced, and eventually nothing of value is produced. Outsourcing of nearly everything from the manufacture of bottle caps to the accounting parts of computer sales gets sent to some other country where people will get their hands dirty and not everyone intends to be a manager.

Here in Maine it may well be time to lead the nation. It is certainly in our best interest to see a significant increase in the number of small farms producing every kind of food that is a staple for Mainer's tables. It would be in our best interest to see a number of small employers grow and develop who produce a product that can be consumed locally or at least regionally.
Maine is a state of small towns and cities, and perhaps it is best to embrace the concept of small employers in these areas, rather than large, mega plants that dominate the local economy and eviscerate it when and if they can no longer compete in a world of cheaper and cheaper employment.

Perhaps Americans need Mainers to teach them how to return to our roots, and once again begin to do the things that helped to grow this country into the success it is.

It will be very hard to do any of this. It will mean that people will have to demand performance in THEIR best interest out of their elected representatives. Far too often elected representatives become lost in Augusta and forget who sent them there. And if they ever had it, lose all touch with the reality of life back in the little town or city that they came from, once they become deluged with the pounding of party "leadership" and partisan lobbying which is a touchstone of Augusta politics.

The financial crisis that has developed over the past two or three decades will now unwind internationally, and Maine will have the same hard times as other places. Perhaps we can begin to do things better and differently here and become a beacon for others to follow.

But I believe that it will be individual people who talk to each other, and then form a consensus to present to their EMPLOYEES: who in fact are the people whom we elect to office. If we wait for government to do it for us, we will get a messy pudding that no one can eat. Government creates nothing of value and in the future I think we will need to redefine government in light of the reality of Maine's small towns and cities and the real needs of Maine people.

Neither the assemblies in Augusta nor Washington have done a real good job for us lately.

Old 10-10-2008, 02:58 AM

2,054 posts, read 4,579,827 times
The current government takeover of the financial institutions should be halted immediately. It is time to let the market forces go to work. Let the deadbeat corporations fail. Their assets will be acquired by entrepreneurial enterprises and the chips will fall where they will. The Attorneys General and Congress should instead concentrate on criminal activity and prosecuting the guilty parties on Wall Street.

The State of Maine is always in a better position to weather out an economic storm. More spending by the State is not the answer. Regulation on business must be radically reduced. We need to elect like minded individuals to the Legislature this Fall. People and business will have incentives to grow and prosper, only in an environment free from over regulation and oppressive tax structures.

Freedom is the only road to prosperity. It's time to cull the deadwood from Disgusta. Vote for freedom.

Old 10-10-2008, 04:52 AM

4,112 posts, read 6,520,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmyankee View Post
The current government takeover of the financial institutions should be halted immediately. It is time to let the market forces go to work. Let the deadbeat corporations fail. Their assets will be acquired by entrepreneurial enterprises and the chips will fall where they will. The Attorneys General and Congress should instead concentrate on criminal activity and prosecuting the guilty parties on Wall Street.

The State of Maine is always in a better position to weather out an economic storm. More spending by the State is not the answer. Regulation on business must be radically reduced. We need to elect like minded individuals to the Legislature this Fall. People and business will have incentives to grow and prosper, only in an environment free from over regulation and oppressive tax structures.

Freedom is the only road to prosperity. It's time to cull the deadwood from Disgusta. Vote for freedom.

I couldn't agree more!

Old 10-10-2008, 07:04 AM

5,054 posts, read 12,424,082 times
Quote:
Wow! DH and I had this very discussion last night. I appreciate this confirmation to settle my nervous tummy! We discussed how self-sufficient Mainers are and how we could surely learn to be as well when the chips are down. Thanks for the words of encouragement!

Old 10-10-2008, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dramamama6685 View Post
I couldn't agree more!
Ditto!!!

Old 10-10-2008, 07:35 AM

1,698 posts, read 3,338,766 times
Quote:
Maine people are better positioned to weather these times than most other states. Yes, we have high energy costs, but we grow our own fuel. Many Mainers grow their own food and we can barter when times are tough. Our elders remember how it has been before. Talk to them and maintain contact. This internet can be a force for good or an incentive to panic. Embrace the good. Reach out to your friends, neighbors and the elderly. Mainers have been through such times before and come out the other side strong and well. We can too.
I agree.... I'm looking at it as we can survive, we have lots of resources here that we can tap into.
I can turn my home into a green house if I had to. I can put in a wood stove ( that's here ready to use) if I have to. Woods all around my property to cut and burn.
My house payment is low enough that I can maintain it without loosing it. 232.00.
I agree listening and talking to our elders on matters they recall doing when times are hard, may also be "useful information."
Thanks for a great thread NMLM.

Old 10-10-2008, 07:45 AM

Also, with oil prices now plummeting, are you seeing a decrease at the pump? Down here, we went down to $2.99/gal yesterday. I was pleasantly surprised to see that "2" for a change in a LONG time! It would really be nice if heating oil starts to decrease significantly during this time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine