Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2011, 04:31 PM

90 posts, read 171,669 times

Advertisements

Yeah Broken nailed it. The area of Old county road from Rankin Street South for about 1.5 miles smells like rotten eggs most days. I wouldn't rent anything sight unseen in. The "seedy" areas could be 1 or 2 houses on just about any steet in town. Housing is cheep and a new school district is being crated there this year that will add several hundered kids to the mix.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2011, 12:59 PM

2,035 posts, read 3,352,275 times
Glad to see this thread, as Rockland is one of my top spots to move to from NJ.

That smell would make me nauseous and aggravate my allergies

Old 09-12-2013, 03:26 PM

118 posts, read 224,127 times
Default Rockland

If you have what Eugene Walter, (Milking the Moon), calls cat and monkey mind, do not move to Rockland. You will not be able to interact with people in ways that you would consider just regular interactions.

And, there isn't just the toxic gas from the landfill. There are serious noise and pollutants from factories, and from the downtown-located sewage treatment plant. It's not like noise and pollutants in an urban area - though you may be living in farmland in NJ - it's -- a lack of balance?

This city is a soul and spirit-killer if you are of cat and monkey mind. You may have means enough to avoid all that. You may not ever think to involve yourself in local politics, or look beneath the surface. If so, you'll be fine here.

Even so, I would not move further north than Brunswick, or live further south than Searsport. Best of luck to you.

Old 09-13-2013, 07:39 AM

506 posts, read 684,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midcoaster View Post
If you have what Eugene Walter, (Milking the Moon), calls cat and monkey mind, do not move to Rockland. You will not be able to interact with people in ways that you would consider just regular interactions.

And, there isn't just the toxic gas from the landfill. There are serious noise and pollutants from factories, and from the downtown-located sewage treatment plant. It's not like noise and pollutants in an urban area - though you may be living in farmland in NJ - it's -- a lack of balance?

This city is a soul and spirit-killer if you are of cat and monkey mind. You may have means enough to avoid all that. You may not ever think to involve yourself in local politics, or look beneath the surface. If so, you'll be fine here.

Even so, I would not move further north than Brunswick, or live further south than Searsport. Best of luck to you.
Drugs?..........

Best of luck to someone that posted 2 year ago???

Old 09-27-2013, 11:12 PM

No, IHeartMaine, not drugs: literate. Your comment personifies the nature of far too many people around Rockland. Why wouldn't I wish the "best of luck" to anyone at any time? But the fact of the 2-year-old post means nothing. People are planning their futures around coming to happy, pleasant, Rockland to become your neighbors. Or, they were until now.

Old 03-28-2018, 03:26 PM

Rockland is, without question, the dirtiest town I've ever lived in, or driven through, or spent some time in, and I've lived adjacent to major highways and truck routes. I'm talking dirt. Dirt and pavement with a dedicated aversion to trees, flowers, essentially anything that cannot be viewed as profit-making. It is also so insular that even those who move here either quickly become part of that insularity or move. The rest of the people just deal with it all as best they can, which isn't very good at all.

Constant development of the "strip" in border-adjacent Thomaston, has successfully abolished substantial vegetative growth. Now, the village of Thomaston is something else, but for how long I don't know. All the development was wisely dumped on the Rockland end. There is a large car dealership that is going to expand even further. But don't dare try to put up a readable and/or neon sign for a business. (I don't have a business. This is just a comparison).

When Rockland was 'hell bent' not so many years ago, no question that it wasn't a dirt bin, despite its then-notorious reputation.

Last edited by Midcoaster; 03-28-2018 at 03:30 PM.. Reason: addition

Old 05-05-2018, 07:20 PM

130 posts, read 191,742 times
Midcoaster - if you were moving to the "Rockland" area - which town would you pick? Owls Head is quite pricey, as is Camden and Rockport. Would you settle on Thomaston, South Thomaston or St. George? Or even Hope?

Old 05-21-2018, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenTap View Post
Old County Road is a nice area and is close to the town center really (bike riding distance) but has two potential issues. There are a lot of quarries so if you have kids you might dislike having the danger of kids falling into water-filled quarries 100 feet deep.

The other issue is quarry related too. The town dump is located close to the Thomaston-Rockland townline and can smell pretty darn bad more often then not. (Rotten egg smell). Granted other areas of Old County Road are not so bad. .....
Old County Road is a major truck route, and is a crossover road with high traffic. The "rotten egg smell" from the dump is hydrogen sulfide gas. Not something you want to breathe.]

Last edited by mensaguy; 05-22-2018 at 04:49 AM.. Reason: Added closing quote tag

Old 06-08-2018, 09:56 PM

Sorry for the delay in responding. Camden is physically beautiful. The tree-lined neighborhoods make for pleasant walking. Owls Head has the appeal of proximity to Rockland, but has a lightness to the atmosphere that make a move to Owls Head very appealing. I would not want to live in Hope, but the other options you mention aren't heinous. Some people can make their home just about anywhere, without regard to politics, newcomer vs long-timer... The thing of it is, a more expensive place isn't so when you don't keep wanting to escape to somewhere else, right?

Old 06-11-2018, 02:17 PM

28 posts, read 57,329 times
Midcoaster - Why wouldn't you want to live in Hope? Can you elaborate?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine