Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2007, 05:06 PM

15 posts, read 79,376 times

Advertisements

Hello,
Can anyone give me info on this place?Is it only for the rich?What about employment,housing,crime etc....Any other towns in the area?
Any information would be appreciated,thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2007, 06:41 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,227,645 times
annabelle, i lived in the 'port for a couple years, right on ocean avenue, use to walk out to the breakwaters at the mouth of the kennebunk river, what a beautiful place, this was over 20 yrs ago, and yes, the 'port is a ritzy area, i'd suggest looking at housing in nearby towns, where the prices are more realistic.

Old 02-25-2007, 07:47 PM

168 posts, read 907,951 times
Default Do some research

I have looked at A LOT of homes for sale in Maine. Although homes in Kennebunkport made be higher overall than other areas, I still saw affordable homes there. I realize "affordable" is a subjective word so you should check them out for yourself and see if they are affordable for you.

One thing I noticed is that generally the property taxes in Kennebunkport and other touristy areas are lower than in the taxes in non-touristy areas. I wondered why that was and thought maybe it's because the tourists supplement the local economy and ease the tax burden on the residents. Has anyone else noticed this and have a theory?

Old 02-26-2007, 08:20 AM

Thanks for replying,I'd love to get more details about neighboring towns if possible.Is it a relatively safe area to live?What about the weather?Employment opportunities ?If you were to choose between Portland area and Kennebunkport area,which would you choose?
Thanks again!

Old 02-26-2007, 10:56 AM

1,594 posts, read 4,097,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annabelle56 View Post
Thanks for replying,I'd love to get more details about neighboring towns if possible.Is it a relatively safe area to live?What about the weather?Employment opportunities ?If you were to choose between Portland area and Kennebunkport area,which would you choose?
Thanks again!
Annabelle, K-port is very safe, as is neighboring Kennebunk. Depending on your price range, generally speaking you will find "more affordable" homes on the west side of the Maine Turnpike than on the ocean side. Weather is moderated by the ocean, but you'll still get snow in winter. Employment opportunities depend on your expertise, but the northern section of the Boston metroplex, as well as Portsmouth, NH, and Pease are all within commuting distance. The Amtrak train into Boston's North Station stops in nearby Wells and there is a contingent of people who use it to commute to work.

Old 02-27-2007, 09:44 PM

4 posts, read 9,685 times
Arundel is nearby K-bunkport, and affordable to live. Work is all dependant of what your looking for, and experience. Portland area is 20-30 minutes away, and Portsmouth, NH, Kittery, ME is 20 minutes away. Your proffesion will dictate where you go from there... Good Luck either way.

Old 03-01-2007, 04:20 PM

26 posts, read 113,160 times
Default K'port, K'bunk, Arundel: great schools, great towns

Kennebunkport does have somewhat lower taxes than some other towns. One reason for this is that coastal property values are high there, which means that coastal property owners in some respect "carry" a good portion of the burden for the inland property owners. I agree with others that property gets a lot more affordable on the other side of the Maine Turnpike in Kennebunk, which is still not far from "The Port" and is a very nice place to live. Same for Arundel.

Kennebunk and Kennebunkport are well-known in the area for their excellent schools, and are therefore very desirable places to raise families. Arundel is also sought after, because their students can and often do choose Kennebunk High School to attend. And all three towns are, well, just nice friendly places to live.

Having had a child recently graduate from KHS and seeing how well-prepared he was for college by that experience, I can say that the schools deserve their excellent reputation.

Old 03-02-2007, 12:19 AM

Thank you all for replying,I really appreciate it.I've been reading posts about mosquitos,snakes,black flies,"no see ums"and other "fun"stuff.Now I'm really scared,especially after reading a post with a detailed description of what black flies will do to you...wow!
Are all of the above found in the Kennebunkport area as well???

Old 03-06-2007, 12:03 PM

Default Scared of those black flies and other pests

I've been reading posts about mosquitos,snakes,black flies,"no see ums"and other "fun"stuff.Now I'm really scared,especially after reading a post with a detailed description of what black flies will do to you...wow!
Are all of the above found in the Kennebunkport area as well???Do ALL New England states have this problem???

Old 03-06-2007, 01:36 PM

581 posts, read 713,560 times
Don't forget the gangs!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine