Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2008, 10:18 AM

264 posts, read 759,003 times

Advertisements

I need your expert opinions guys. We had a trip planned to come visit our house in Maine for christmas break (driving dec 26th - new years eve). We were going to be driving a 4X4 SUV (just because its one of our cars we have), and now we can't bring that vehicle...My husband can't come with us now because of work but said don't ruin the trip since the kids are SO excited over it and instead my good friend and her daughter are going to come with me and my kids. BUT, now we are rethinking because of not having the SUV...

So, my question is.... My car is a van.... We get snow down here in NJ and I have always drivin in the snow but of course my van can't get out of "snowy" situations as well as another vehicle could if it got stuck etc. I am assuming the roads are all plowed pretty well around there?? My biggest worry would not be the main drive up on all the main roads.... but would be once we get off of Rt 95 onto the Howland or Lincoln exit.... once we get on 188 which is a long curvy small road leading through enfield/Lowell etc....(state road... so plowed I am sure...) How well is it plowed? A SMALL state road like that which is not traveled very much (not alot of traffic!), how well will they take care of it and salt/sand whichever they do so its not icy etc?

Would you recomend or not me driving up with a van next week?

I'm not as worried as once we would be at the house because I'd bring salt with us and we have a shovel IF we needed to shovel out of OUR driveway etc... I am more worried about the conditions of icy/slippery roads driving a van and how well they keep up with them or not back there on the "not so traveled roads (even if a sate road).

Thanks for any opinions...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2008, 10:27 AM

467 posts, read 1,125,087 times
We had a van for the past few years, but we had studded tires and they saved us quite a few times. I would watch the weather very carefully and make the decision based on that. Since you're traveling with kids, I always tend to worry more about the temperature in case of a breakdown.
Seems like we've been getting alot of ice and snow lately, with much more on it's way tonight. Stay safe!

Old 12-21-2008, 10:42 AM

653 posts, read 1,918,895 times
thanks NJ2ME for bring this up, we also plan to drive up to Maine next week. I am waiting for the weather report, love to see snow but not sure about driving on the icy road.

Old 12-21-2008, 11:03 AM

8,767 posts, read 18,671,905 times
Northern Maine is experiencing an out and out blizzard today and tomorrow. The National Weather Service is adamant about staying off the roads for the next two days. You should be ok by Wednesday but as BoundtofindME said the cold is the problem here. After this storm passes it is supposed to be bitterly cold until Christmas Day.

Old 12-21-2008, 11:33 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,227,645 times
i average 800-900 miles a week, ( work,),(for over 10 years) never once having an suv, ive had many many small to mid size sedans,,all with all-weather radials,,,driven thru many a snow storms, and sleet,,(worst is icy roads, not snowy roads, and slush on ice is about the worst)
just go slow and be careful, our roadcrews do a wonderful job!!!!

be very alert of other drivers,,,you may be in control of your car,,,but they may not,,

( in stormy weather i dont use the cell phone or eat,,,while driving,,,give 100% attention)

Old 12-21-2008, 01:21 PM

7,395 posts, read 13,101,169 times
I think you'll be ok on the drive with your van--take it slow in the spots that may seem to call for it. I'm wondering though, with 12-17 inches expected today, and more on Wednesday into Thursday, will the driveway be clear enough for you to pull in? It wouldn't be fun to drive all this way and then have a driveway to shovel! Is there someone who will clear that for you?

oh, and put a little weight in the back

Old 12-21-2008, 01:39 PM

1,555 posts, read 2,520,959 times
Unfortunately, with most vans, they are single rear wheel drive; most don't
have limited slip differential. Up until last year I had a Ford Club Wagon E-250
with single wheel drive; It was a real nightmare on snowy/icey roads, to a point that I stopped driving it in winter. We only need one vehicle so if I need to go anywhere I take my wifes Subaru. My next vehicle will be a KIA mini van, I found out from past vehicles that front wheel drive is all i need.

Old 12-21-2008, 01:42 PM

21,353 posts, read 8,450,894 times
Chrysler/Plymouth vans are front wheel drive. Don't know about Ford or Chevy Astros or Toyotas.

Old 12-21-2008, 02:01 PM

264 posts, read 759,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoastalMaine View Post
Chrysler/Plymouth vans are front wheel drive. Don't know about Ford or Chevy Astros or Toyotas.

Chrysler Voyager Van is what I have. Thanks everyone! Sounds like as long as I use common sense in driving in the snow, I should be ok if we decide to still come up using the van. I'm not worried about making it to the house and having snow blocking the driveway... we'll do what we have to. I always have fleece blankets and snacks in the car for emergency and have a cell for emergency calls (plus we'll have ALL our snow skiing gear in the trunk), and I have triple A. So hopefully between all that we'll be in good shape. We'd leave the day after christmas... hopefully the weather is good for at least our drive up.

Old 12-21-2008, 02:41 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,684,164 times
You'll be fine, NJ2ME. I recommend giving your neighbor across the road a call and having somebody with a pickup plow your driveway before you arrive. Route 188 is plowed very reliably. Here's a link for your forecast:

Lowell, Maine (04493) Conditions & Forecast : Weather Underground

By the way, front wheel drive vans back up better than they pull forward when in parking lots and driveways.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine