Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2009, 11:42 PM

16 posts, read 28,032 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by msina View Post
The issue isn't being poor,... Lord knows I'm far from well off. The issues there were,... poor management and the fact that some there were in dire poverty at the time. There were times the state would shut the water off completely in that park as it was unsafe. The water was off for more than 24 hours on more than one occasion. It was an ongoing issue,..... managements problem with the state but the people living there were the ones suffering. Some had no other place to go and hauling water wasn't an option readily available. Living in a trailer isn't an issue, wish I had one of my own on my own property. It was the conditions and the desperation of some, it was just a sad place.
]]

That s awful. I hope things improve for them. Nobody should be forced to live like that.

Old 01-02-2009, 11:56 PM

You walk on water here? Isn t that kind of dangerous?

Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
Yeah right now if you park by the boat ramp, walk out on the river, go about 200 yards down stream [South], then cross the river, when you step up onto the bank there you would be on my land.

We went out yesterday for a stroll on the river.

It was not bad at all until the wind kicked up a bit.

If you ever get bored [and the river is frozen] just walk on over. I'll put coffee on for you.

Old 01-03-2009, 06:30 AM

3,036 posts, read 5,888,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Stargazer View Post
You walk on water here? Isn t that kind of dangerous?
You just have to wait for winter to freeze it or know where the rocks are.

Old 01-03-2009, 09:30 AM

37,468 posts, read 61,406,816 times
Quote:
You walk on water here?
Yes, in fact I do.

I think that in Maine many folks walk on water.

It is not uncommon for folks to walk out onto water, to cut a hole through the ice and to fish, or set traps for beaver also.

Quote:
... Isn t that kind of dangerous?
Not so much.

Old 01-03-2009, 12:54 PM

Neat! You have to show me how to do that safely. I would be worried about stress cracks in the ice, vents, and places where undercurrents have made it too thin to be safe.

Driving up from Old Town I saw a few spots on the Penobscot I would be leery of crossing in the winter

Quote:
Yes, in fact I do.

I think that in Maine many folks walk on water.

It is not uncommon for folks to walk out onto water, to cut a hole through the ice and to fish, or set traps for beaver also.

Not so much.

Old 01-03-2009, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Neat! You have to show me how to do that safely. I would be worried about stress cracks in the ice, vents, and places where undercurrents have made it too thin to be safe.

Driving up from Old Town I saw a few spots on the Penobscot I would be leery of crossing in the winter
At your pleasure.

DM me for when you will be in the area and ready. Come by for coffee and we can walk right out onto the river.

Old 01-03-2009, 04:08 PM

6,631 posts, read 13,544,749 times
Quote:
We went out yesterday for a stroll on the river.
Not even on a cold day in Hades would I dare cross the river. I get nervous on lakes some times.

Old 01-03-2009, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Writer View Post
Not even on a cold day in Hades would I dare cross the river. I get nervous on lakes some times.
Oh, come on.

Don't be scaring folks.

The ice here in Argyle was generally over 4 inches thick the last few days.

Maybe not entirely 'safe' for passenger vehicles, but perfectly safe for folks to walk.

Old 01-03-2009, 04:35 PM

2,133 posts, read 5,877,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Writer View Post

You sound like DH & myself. No way, now how. Water is meant for boats in the Summer, at least from our POV. It was not meant to be traveled on in the Winter... yup, we're big chickens.

I would, however, completely trust Forest if he says the ice is safe. I don't see him taking unnecessary risks.

2 days ago there were 12 Wisconsonites rescued when a HUGE piece of ice broke off and started to drift out into Lake Michigan. An airboat was used to rescue them.

Old 01-03-2009, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BacktoNE View Post
I would, however, completely trust Forest if he says the ice is safe. I don't see him taking unnecessary risks.
Thanks.

Quote:
... 2 days ago there were 12 Wisconsonites rescued when a HUGE piece of ice broke off and started to drift out into Lake Michigan. An airboat was used to rescue them.
Ouch!

That must have been really HUGE.

I don't like ice cracking underneath me. If my weight can make it crack at all, then I leave.

3 of us went out, and our combined weight was not able to make it crack at all. Then when we were able to p-i-c-k-a-x-e a hole through to water, we saw that it is really thick. From the charts provided on safe ice thicknesses, I see that the charts would also indicate that it is safe for walking [but questionable for vehicles].

I was kind of thinking about driving the tractor out on it though, if it gets a bit thicker. I am wondering if I could use the backhoe to punch through the ice and dig up some tree stumps. We have a few tree stumps that sit in the marsh where the water is normally about a foot deep. It would never be safe to backhoe them in the summer.

Last edited by Submariner; 01-03-2009 at 05:32 PM.. Reason: sp3ll!ng
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine