Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2009, 08:43 AM

37,468 posts, read 61,396,384 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mollysmiles View Post
YOU would say that.... THEY wouldn't/didn't... that's my point. "Poor" and "Hard Life" are relative, subject terms.... that is why Forest phrased the question:

"Even though Maine is thought to be 'poor', does anyone honestly consider themselves to be 'poor'?"

The question wasn't do you think anyone is poor or do you think anyone here has a hard life--the answer to those questions really shouldn't matter. That's so subjective--and unless you know what the other person believes regarding their own life, then you really can't answer that honestly. K-Luv you proved that point perfectly by telling Peachie that time in her family's life wasn't really "hard times", even though she said it was! I don't hesitate to say I think that's why Forest phrased the question in the manner he did.

Such insight from such a lovely creature.

Wow.

I have repeatedly been told that I was 'poor'. The first time was by a man whom I worked for. When tax time came around, he had me doing his taxes. I was befuzzled, as I earned more money than he did, and he carried a great deal of debt load to maintain his upper class lifestyle. He and his peers routinely told me and my peers that we were peasants and they are the nobility. We were clearly their servants. And yet many of my peers earned higher salaries than these 'nobles' earned, and had accumulated far greater Net Worths. The 'befuddlement' continued.

I was recently 'told off' in DM, one of the attacks was that I am 'poor'.

What I see from these accusations is that the perception of wealth / poor is entirely subjective, and very often just the opposite of reality. It can be a false projection.

I do have relatives who have much larger gross incomes than I do, and they carry far greater debt than I do. They live in a 'style' that implies great wealth. Yet in reality they owe more than they are have, they have a negative Net Worth.

And this is all outside of the quality of living a peaceful happy lifestyle. So it is obviously an illusion.

I am at heart an engineer. I well lack the skill of words, so I can not produce the poetry of how a simple lifestyle is a far greater 'wealth'.

I tend to see things in terms of dollar values, as working or not working. In our culture the higher dollar value lifestyle is usually accompanied by a larger debt load to support that as a 'false' lifestyle.

Whereas I think that if I can purposefully lessen my need for money, than what I do have is a surplus. Perhaps I can go through life without being a debtor to any man.

I think that 'wealth' / 'poor' is an illusion that we fall into, if we are not careful.

Such a powerful illusion that many live or die by it.

Many would insist on projecting their idea of 'monetary' social status onto others.

Excuse my ramblings. I need to go mix livestock feed.

May God bless you.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2009, 08:46 AM

504 posts, read 902,444 times
I am a pre Mainer and I am poor money wise, but I am very happy. I have my family and pretty good health. It seems when people have lots of money they have no one they can trust including family, Thats not the way I would like live. Besides God don't give me any thing I can't handle!
I could not handle no friends or family that I could not trust..

Old 01-10-2009, 09:06 AM

2,712 posts, read 5,654,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
What I see from these accusations is that the perception of wealth / poor is entirely subjective, and very often just the opposite of reality. It can be a false projection.
When I look at those who appear to be "richer" or more affluent that I, I quickly remember something I learned somewhere along that way...

That being: most likely they are just deeper in debt than I am.

And since I am happy with my debt level (which is considerably more that I would like at present, thanks to the house and land, but far less than the average in the US) and "they" appear to accept theirs, I guess that's ok by me.

Old 01-10-2009, 10:40 AM

8,357 posts, read 25,240,720 times
Default Open apology to Peaches.

My comment to Peaches in Maine was rude, came out wrong, and was not intended to be directed towards her personally. Her post reminded me of a situation that someone that I know went through and I was responding to that, but in the heat of the moment I took it out on Peaches, and for that I apologize.

Old 01-10-2009, 10:45 AM

5,054 posts, read 12,422,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
My comment to Peaches in Maine was rude, came out wrong, and was not intended to be directed towards her personally. Her post reminded me of a situation that someone that I know went through and I was responding to that, but in the heat of the moment I took it out on Peaches, and for that I apologize.
Good form.

Old 01-10-2009, 11:07 AM

104 posts, read 260,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by truthseeker2012 View Post
I am a pre Mainer and I am poor money wise, but I am very happy. I have my family and pretty good health. It seems when people have lots of money they have no one they can trust including family, Thats not the way I would like live. Besides God don't give me any thing I can't handle!
I could not handle no friends or family that I could not trust..
Ain't that the Truth?!

That life is a cold and wretched one, dark and lonely.

I would rather live by my own hand,make everything I need, grown my own food and be warm of heart. A paranoid life in a mansion will never be better than a happy laughing life in a cabin...

Old 01-10-2009, 02:36 PM

6,631 posts, read 13,542,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by virginia farm girl View Post
One day, the father of a very wealthy family took his son on a trip to the
country with the express purpose of showing him how poor people live.
I love this. It's an excellent example of how extremely different we can see the same picture.

Old 01-10-2009, 05:02 PM

37,468 posts, read 61,396,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Writer View Post
I love this. It's an excellent example of how extremely different we can see the same picture.
True.

Cuiusvis hominis est errare, nullius nisi insipientis in errore perseverare

Old 01-10-2009, 06:19 PM

142 posts, read 346,150 times
I consider Maine to be a poor state in many ways. The state is not paying their maine care bills.
They owe the very small rural hospital where I work 7 million dollars and they are purposing cuts that will cost our hospital 700,000,though I wonder if that would matter considering they are not paying. The money they owe for the whole state is unbelievable. I will find out at work on monday if anyone is interested in knowing. I know when I saw the total my jaw dropped. No wonder the hospitals pay is so low. I make just above the poverty level. Something has to be done. How would we be treated if we did not pay our bills?

Old 01-10-2009, 06:47 PM

5,054 posts, read 12,422,756 times
Krisk, are you not aware that our country as a whole is over $10.2 TRILLION dollars in debt? At the state level, the debt is miniscule when compared in the grand scheme of things. Someone needs to tell our government what happens to people who don't pay their debts!

Wonder if there is a stat chart showing the debt by state. Bet there is!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine