Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-14-2009, 07:58 PM

4 posts, read 33,305 times

Advertisements

What is the most conservative small town in Maine? Looking for a town smaller then 10,000 population. I'm looking for conservative residents, politicians, judges, media, business, churches and schools. Good old fashioned america the way it was 50 years ago. Low crime and friendly people who dont view old time viewpoints or morals as a step backwards or anti-progressive. If you have first hand knowledge of the recommended area all the better. Thanks in advance. Looking forward to your responses.

Old 01-14-2009, 08:11 PM

1,325 posts, read 2,973,219 times
Eastport

Old 01-14-2009, 09:43 PM

2,059 posts, read 4,203,660 times
shangrala.or you could check out east port, woodland,lubec,

Old 01-15-2009, 12:32 AM

2,054 posts, read 4,579,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yankee clipper View Post
What is the most conservative small town in Maine? Looking for a town smaller then 10,000 population. I'm looking for conservative residents, politicians, judges, media, business, churches and schools. Good old fashioned america the way it was 50 years ago. Low crime and friendly people who dont view old time viewpoints or morals as a step backwards or anti-progressive. If you have first hand knowledge of the recommended area all the better. Thanks in advance. Looking forward to your responses.
You would be talking about the Shiretowns, or the County Seats. They are absolutely the most progressive, left leaning and loaded with cliques and wannabe Bobos.

Old 01-15-2009, 02:11 AM

1,220 posts, read 3,934,574 times
Quote:
I am curious about how much you know about Maine. Answering this question would be easier had you asked for a town with a population larger than ten thousand.

When you say "conservative", do you mean a town that is dominated by one religious belief or is your orientation strictly political?

I have recently lived in or owned property and done business in towns that appear to be very liberal based on some of the towns prominent residents. Those towns also were entirely devoted to staying strictly away from any form of regulation in the areas of property regulation and law enforcement at the local level. I considered those towns to be very conservative towns inhabited by a large percentage of liberally minded people. Is this what you mean?

I currently live in a town that is extremely conservative politically. It has voted Republican overwhelmingly for many years. Does this make it "conservative" when 99% of the town budget is devoted to the school but active planning for the towns future absent? Is that conservative or something else?

I suspect that you may not know much about the State of Maine. Most towns have no judges, and local politicians have to be very careful of either conservative or liberal leanings in order to be elected. A lot of towns have churches....some towns have a LOT of churches. How do you tell a "conservative" church from an other kind?

Most towns don't have law enforcement in Maine. Most towns depend on either the county sheriff or state police for "law enforcement". Does that make one town conservative or liberal or something else, like not able to afford a police department.

Perhaps if you make your interests clearer and more fully define your terms people on this list can point you in a very clear direction to find the sort of place you want. It probably does exist in Maine.

Old 01-15-2009, 04:29 AM

3,036 posts, read 5,888,747 times
Quote:
You seem to be all over the map with this. Politicians are politicians. They don't disagree with you they just don't agree with you either; listen to your point and go on to the next. Judges, yeah, in shiretowns for the most part. In Eastport the media seems to swing to the left a bit more (sheepishly saying that). But a good old fashioned America? Sit in fromnt of the TV and watch "Smallville" is the best I can do for ya.

Now we do help each other out up here for the most part. We don't turn a blind eye because it's an inconvenience. And we wave and talk to each other on the sttreet. Usually can find a gang of townfolk gathered at a store out f town If that's what you have in mind we got it. And don't come at me about spelling. To old to care anymore and besides I threw the spell checker out. Didn't recognize Francis Albert so out it went!!!!

Old 01-15-2009, 05:35 AM

7,395 posts, read 13,102,570 times
I can think of a lot of small little towns that might be what you describe--but I'm not sure about the "conservative" part. I think Calais is more conservative than Eastport---but if I compare Eastport to Oak Island, NC, Eastport is very conservative. The other thing to remember is that this is Maine--as a whole I think we're perceived as conservative--whether that's true or not might be something different.

BTW, I notice ALL your previous posts in other state forums and the general US are identical. Looks like you have a lot of narrowing down to do. Maybe you should work on the narrowing down to ONE state before you start shopping for a town??!!

ok, all your previous posts before deletion that is.....

Old 01-15-2009, 05:54 AM

2,724 posts, read 6,426,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mollysmiles View Post

BTW, I notice ALL your previous posts in other state forums and the general US are identical.
Yep, cross-posted x22 and it only took he/she 1 hour and 2 minutes.
I let the one in the General U.S. forum stand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine