Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2009, 08:41 AM

2,712 posts, read 5,655,274 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Writer View Post
They're home is so beautiful. It has a "feel" to it. You can watch a bald eagle soar over the water, look out over the lights in Canada at night, see the sunrise from the dining room table... They've made wonderful choices!
Yes, it is a most lovely home in a beautiful setting. I am glad that they are here and happy with it (and truly hope that the satellite internet is the solution they need in the long run, though it is not a choice that would have worked for us.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2009, 10:45 AM

5,054 posts, read 12,424,082 times
Well, we're settling in nicely. The house is just amazing! There are only two rooms with no view, and I don't often sit long in the bathroom gazing out the window, anyway. Whoever built this house knew exactly what they had their hands on with this setting! The entire river side of the house is windows. There are also nice widows upstairs in both of the kids' rooms, so everyone has a ton of natural light, warmth from the sun and something beautiful and ever-changing to look at.

The landscape is constantly transitioning as the river flows. We have various breeds of ducks, sea birds of at least two different varieties so far, bald eagles, crows, chickadees, robins, sparrows (I think), something that leaves large hoof prints in the snow through the woods and yesterday, a seal bobbing around just off-shore out our back door! I honestly don't think this nature girl has ever felt more fulfilled in a home.

Robin is absolutely on point, there is a "feel" here that is just perfect! My mom was amazed when she walked through for those few days and kept commenting on how perfectly our furniture and decor fits the feel of the house. It's as if everything we've purchased and been gifted with over the years was meant for this very space.

On a practical note, Brad already has two jobs and a third on the way. He's being put on the schedule to work p/t for Downeast EMS and Indian Township starting on Monday. The City of Calais, who is starting a brand new EMS/Fire service, has contacted him a couple of times this week and will call him in to interview for a f/t position some time next week. They have been very positive about being able to put him to work, as he has the dual certification they need for the new set-up. He'll also have the much needed benefits through the city that we really need for the family. A full time EMS job only requires approximately 10-15 days per month on shift, so the other two services will supplement that f/t income nicely. So, we'll soon start seeing some deposits rather than all debits. That will ease my brain considerably!

The weather has been gorgeous! It's been down to zero since we've been here, and nothing has fallen off yet. Wahoo! We're tolerating the temperatures much better than I expected. It's such a dry cold, other than dealing with my changing hair and skin condition, it's been pleasant. I haven't had to break out the thick wool yet, and the kids can't be stopped from going outside.

They've been out in the middle of a blowing snow at 10* and had to be forced to come in because it was just getting too dark for my comfort. That's a very new experience for them. In the heat of Texas, I had to force them to get outside and play so they'd get some sun. They've also had a major increase in appetite. Olivia and Alexander, especially, have been eating about twice what they used to, and their pickiness has nearly disappeared. We have 3 kids living in the next house down our lane, and one of the little girls is in Olivia's class, so they've been able to spend a good bit of time playing together after we finally met their parents last week. They've never had kids in the neighborhood that they could go out and play with. This has been nice for them.

Overall, we're really enjoying our new life. As with any major change, there have been a few challenges. Satellite internet isn't the greatest, but it's our only choice other than dial up. Our house phone through Fairpoint (boy is THAT a story!) STILL isn't connected and they can't give us an ETA for it, either. Our cell phones through AT&T are operating on the Canadian tower at the house, but they've been good to remove the charges without question. If we're on the cell phone and change locations in the house (or breathe wrong), we may lose you, but we'll call back!

We have absolutely no regrets..........it's all good!

Old 03-27-2009, 10:54 AM

7,727 posts, read 12,384,753 times
I'm so glad things are working out well for you! I'm also happy to hear your Mom liked the house. All good wishes to you sweet girl.

Old 03-27-2009, 09:27 PM

Location: Hidin' out on the Mexican border;about to move to the Canadian border
732 posts, read 1,341,190 times
How could anybody regret moving here? I know exactly how El feels. It's like you can breath! And you can go outside without frying your brains and skin after ten minutes. I know how it is with the sat internet. We had no other option on the ranch for that and for TV. Wish you could get on TWC, El. They came out when promised and everything is working fine. We finally found the phone today and plugged it in to find that it's working, too.
But when you step outside and smell the air, when you start to cross the street in town and ANY car that's coming stops for you, and the scenery just makes your chin drop, how can you regret it? I was at the carwash today, and didn't know that you couldn't pay at the entrance. I got out to ask the guy behind me to back up, and I would get out of the way, But he told me to run in and pay for a wash while the car ahead of me was washing. People around here are just too cool, El.

Old 03-28-2009, 07:30 AM

653 posts, read 1,919,090 times
I guess you would not missed the Pay First sign like we see in the southern part of the country.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper1212 View Post
How could anybody regret moving here? I know exactly how El feels. It's like you can breath! And you can go outside without frying your brains and skin after ten minutes. I know how it is with the sat internet. We had no other option on the ranch for that and for TV. Wish you could get on TWC, El. They came out when promised and everything is working fine. We finally found the phone today and plugged it in to find that it's working, too.
But when you step outside and smell the air, when you start to cross the street in town and ANY car that's coming stops for you, and the scenery just makes your chin drop, how can you regret it? I was at the carwash today, and didn't know that you couldn't pay at the entrance. I got out to ask the guy behind me to back up, and I would get out of the way, But he told me to run in and pay for a wash while the car ahead of me was washing. People around here are just too cool, El.

Old 03-28-2009, 10:12 PM

I miss a lot of things, boone. I never said I was the brightest candle on the cake. But I have a good excuse. The whole place is new to me, and when you're in a new place, it takes a while before you see everything that's around you. Especially the stuff that's different from what you're accustomed to. Back in Texas (notice I didn't say "home" the way hubby does) you can pay for the wash just before you enter it.
El, where were you today? We missed ya!

Old 03-29-2009, 06:47 PM

Well, Cas, I'm very glad that you found out and shared with the class. I'd have been in that line waiting to swipe my credit card, too. Never occured to me that's not how they ALL work! I was actually going to try and get the ick off my van tomorrow.

And wahoo! Brad has found the ONE spot in our house where we get an AT&T signal - his night stand. So, I hope the legs will hold me while I sit on it and use the phone.

Old 03-29-2009, 08:41 PM

Would you like for me to take a shot at the people who are supposed to come put your phone in? I'm very good at making very polite "or else" type of "requests."
FYI, they tell me that even later model vehicles around here should go through the car wash at least once a week, preferably on a nice day, at this time of year. Hubby's truck arrived today. He wants so bad to drive it to work, but he doesn't want it rusting out. I'm kind of glad for the rain tonight. There was no room in the garage for the truck, and the rain will take some of the road crud off that it was sprayed with on the way up on the transport.
Have you gone down to get your vehicles registered and your license yet, El? I did my truck and my license Friday. I went at 8am, no one there, had my paperwork, and got the vanity plate I've always wanted.
PS, we've got unlimited long distance over here. Come borrow the phone, silly! I'll be gone in the am tomorrow to get the truck inspected. (no, it was not required before I could get it registered. We ain't in Texas anymore, Dorothy) I should be home by ten.

Old 03-30-2009, 06:25 PM

Nah. I'm guessing if our complaint with the utilitiy commission and dozen previous irate calls haven't budged them, not much else will. I'm guessing they're on siesta! I did get a bill from them yesterday, though. Anyways....our cell phones are working a bit better since we had the international block lifted and got the free roaming set up. Now that we're back online, all is well with the world once again!

We got our license plates, driver's licenses and inspection done within the first two weeks, so we're good there. I don't think we had a wait at any one of those stops. I well remember MANY 2+ hour waits at TX DMV. No thank you!

I do need to get the van cleaned over the next couple of days. Didn't bother today with the rain/snow that came. Brad has only washed it once by hand since we've been here, so it really needs to be done. I think there will be more snow tomorrow, though I haven't seen today's weather, so we may have to wait a tad longer.

Old 03-30-2009, 10:16 PM

Aw, nobody lets me have any fun! Watch those calls, though. You can still hit towers that belong to providers who will not honor an agreement with your cell provider and you will still get hit with roaming charges. Hubby and I are going to have to get out of the habit of picking up the phone whenever we want and calling each other. Although our phones should be on mobile to mobile, it we hit a Canadian tower, it's still roaming. Which means I can't call my friends back home, so you and the rest of the clan had better start showing up for visits and at lunches! As much as I love my 'puter, I need REAL people!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine