Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2009, 07:18 AM

95 posts, read 323,634 times

Advertisements

Thank you all for the replies! I've been worrying about her having to adjust a lot lately, and everyone has been very helpful!

A round of reps for all! (I usually forget to do reps. )

ETA: Does anyone have any experience with taking their pets across the country via car? It would take an entire day to drive to Maine from here, so I'm wondering what it would be like to drive with kitties for 24+ hours.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2009, 07:27 AM

48,133 posts, read 22,007,656 times
I drove and relocated 2 cats from RI to NH once......the siamese went really crazy....and never came out of it....the regular domestic short hair adjusted fine. I would recommend that you transport them in a carrying case...not loose in the car....and becareful not to let them get loose at rest stops etc....because they will be in a heightened state of anxiety and find nothing familiar in their surroundings. I believe Starwalker made her trek to Maine with cats and will have much more practical advise, than my shorter trip of years ago. Good Luck.

Last year I traveled cross country with two dogs---one slept most of the 5 days.....the other was pretty anxious for most of the trip and trembled and panted and sought physical reassurance and contact.....much of the way.

Old 04-13-2009, 07:47 AM

1,895 posts, read 5,902,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alittlenerdy View Post
Thank you all for the replies! I've been worrying about her having to adjust a lot lately, and everyone has been very helpful!

A round of reps for all! (I usually forget to do reps. )

ETA: Does anyone have any experience with taking their pets across the country via car? It would take an entire day to drive to Maine from here, so I'm wondering what it would be like to drive with kitties for 24+ hours.
I can't even imagine it. I would probably be crying myself after an hour of listening to my cats yelping. It kills me to listen to it when I take them to the vet, and he's only about 5 miles away! I know some people choose to medicate/tranquilize the cats during long transits, but don't have any personal experience with that.

Old 04-13-2009, 08:08 AM

2,712 posts, read 5,655,274 times
we moved 7 of ours here from NC -- a year ago last March. They were in carriers (some in a large carrier with multiple cats). I drove the truck with the dog (St. B) and K had cats.. he said they were quiet after a few minutes and they were no problem. We were on the road 2 days, and when we stopped at several points we did the "kitty shuffle" to give them chances to eat (mostly they didn't), drink (mostly they didn't) and use the box (pretty much ditto here too.)

We were in a motel one night before we got into our rental and they did take advantage of food, water and litter box then. When we got "home" they were all let out in one room and pretty much kept there for a week or so (not totally alone, that was our TV room) while we make sure everything was secure and they got a sense of home. They all did fine.

Old 04-13-2009, 08:09 AM

411 posts, read 899,024 times
Our vet suggested Benadryl for the cats when we moved to Maine from CT. It was about an 8 hour drive w/the moving truck and our landscape trailer w/me driving the car behind T. Our cats were in a huge carrier together, and did okay. One of them handled it better than the other, but both were okay. One drooled and crouched in a corner the majority of the trip... we had a big enough carrier that there was a cat box in there as well. (which neither used but once I think) A suggestion that helped was we withheld food the night before the drive, and covered the carrier on 2 sides w/ a blanket. Allowed them to feel more secure. Check w/your vet about doses of Benadryl, if he/she would recommend it.

Last edited by KiddinAroundFarm; 04-13-2009 at 08:13 AM.. Reason: added catbox info...

Old 04-13-2009, 08:16 AM

143 posts, read 252,892 times
I've used Rescue Remedy, a homeopathic solution you can purchase in most health food stores. It has a wonderful calming effect. I've used it with my dogs and horses....have yet to try it with my cat....he's so laid back, he could handle just about anything which comes his way, I think.

Old 04-13-2009, 02:26 PM

3,231 posts, read 7,465,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acadianlion View Post
The cat will do fine. The cat will do what the cat knows is best for her. We have three cats. Our older male loves being outside when it is warm and sunny, but he is getting along, and doesn't like the real cold as much as he used to. The girl cat has become an indoor cat since we got adopted by Brindle aka "the Thug" who adopted us one exceedingly cold night when the wind was blowing like fury and it was about ten below.

Brindle appeared at the front door looking in. He was obviously hungry, but he ran when I opened the door, and my older male ran him off. Not really good enough, though because he came back, and we decided that we needed to give him some crunchies. It wasn't long....you know: he moved in. The next spring we had him fixed and his shots up to date.

At first he hated my boots and would hiss and strike at them when I walked by. VERY fierce! But he took immediately to my wife, and we suspect that he had been kicked out of his first home by a male suitor to his female human person, and kicked by work boots. The vet said that he was probably not more than two when he came here, poor guy!

It took him about a year, but now he is a family pet, although he WANTS to be top cat: my older male will have none of that, and they coexist inside mostly, with some hissyfits and squawking but little fur flies. In the winter he is a layabout inside kittie just like the others. When we have a lot of snow I make snow paths around the house and blow a lot of the snow off the front lawn for the cats to have room to run....Man! Am I ever a slave.

But the cats have it all (and US!) figured out, and in winter they will chose what is right for them: inside, outside or a lot of being on the wrong side of the door! You will get to be the survant.

Oh, yes. I wanted to mention that the first winter that Brindle appeared here, he had been living at the neighbors house under the porch. There were two inside cats there, but they would not let him in, nor did they feed him. He shared under porch domicile with a porcuppine. Tough kitty and deserving of the nickname: The Thug.
I just need to ask you all... who figured that the Acadianlion had a such a soft spot for cats? Nice story, phew! - You really are human (and humane!)

Old 04-13-2009, 04:29 PM

440 posts, read 1,691,722 times
We drove 1800 miles from Illinois to Nova Scotia with 2 cats and 3 dogs. The dogs were fine the cats were another story. One got car sick and in Chicago rush hour was foaming at the mouth so bad he looked like Santa Claus. We gave him some acepromazine and he was better. The other cat loved to hide under the motel bed and it was hell trying to pry her out.........

Old 04-13-2009, 10:27 PM
RHB

1,098 posts, read 2,151,184 times
My cats and cars don't get along well, mostly they would try to get out of the car! I'm sure though that yours will find it comfort somewhere - under the seat, in someone's lap - They were so upset being in the kennel that I let them out, I couldn't handle the distressed meows.

Old 04-13-2009, 10:42 PM

440 posts, read 1,691,722 times
I actually could not either. My big boy, Russian Blue after the episode was "under foot" from New Hampshire to Nova Scotia.. Needless to say my foot space in the car was extremely limited!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine