Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2011, 09:25 AM

861 posts, read 1,147,432 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
I have seen black flies when they were seriously thick.

However I have also seen entire years go by when we did not experience any black flies.

If you get caught among them, it does leave a big impression on you. But over all I agree that in the big scheme they are pretty insignificant.

Maybe it is just me, but as a retiree, I can be flexible. If I see that Black Fly will be an issue one day, then I can decide to not work outside that day.

That "being a retiree" thing is pretty important. Lots of my friends here in Texas keep asking why I want to put up with driving in the snow. And I keep telling them that I don't have to drive in the snow if I don't feel like it. Throw another log on the fire, mix another Bloody Mary, and continue reading my book. Or I can grab my snow shoes or X-country skis and head outside. Not that hard of a decision. It's still three years away but dreaming about it makes the work day go by faster.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2011, 11:21 AM

12,083 posts, read 38,847,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryDactyls View Post
That sounds pretty insignificant to me after living with the annual influx of mosquitos in Minnesota.
A year that the black flies are thick will make Minnesota skeeters look tame. I have family in MN and lived in Maine, I'll take the MN skeeters ANY year over the G-D black flies.

That said though, I never let them dictate when or where I went and did outside the 20 years I lived in Maine. Sure you get bit up on bad days, sure they flock up your nose, in your eyes, and make a buffet out of your ears, neck and hands; but a bath in Bens 100% DEET before you go out helps a bit at keeping them manageable even on the worst days.

Old 12-29-2011, 12:34 PM

16,669 posts, read 15,663,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryDactyls View Post
That "being a retiree" thing is pretty important. Lots of my friends here in Texas keep asking why I want to put up with driving in the snow. And I keep telling them that I don't have to drive in the snow if I don't feel like it. Throw another log on the fire, mix another Bloody Mary, and continue reading my book. Or I can grab my snow shoes or X-country skis and head outside. Not that hard of a decision. It's still three years away but dreaming about it makes the work day go by faster.
Wait until there is a nice summer day and contact your Texas friends and tell them it is 78 degrees and you're sitting outside, eating a lobster while you watch the sailboats drift by under a perfect blue sky.

That's a pretty good trade off for driving in a little snow.

Old 01-01-2012, 03:43 PM

2 posts, read 1,359 times
Quote:
A military retiree who moved here because I found a place where my military pension could be enough to support me [without having to live in a third-world nation and speaking Tagholog. I prefer English].

And a lot of other military retirees have been moving here too!

I've been researching as of late, myself. Calais looks like a very nice place to settle down. I thought I'd try to work over at the national guard recruiting station to close down my career and then just stay. Any suggessions on that Beekeeper?

Old 01-01-2012, 04:13 PM

37,459 posts, read 61,373,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Subathai View Post
I've been researching as of late, myself. Calais looks like a very nice place to settle down. I thought I'd try to work over at the national guard recruiting station to close down my career and then just stay. Any suggessions on that Beekeeper?
Sounds like a good plan to me.

Have you been to Calais?

Often we see that for folks who have never been to this state, to first spend a year in a rental apartment may be a good idea. To allow getting used to the area, being a tourist, and seeing which region of the state is truly the best fit. Before buying property.

Old 01-01-2012, 04:22 PM

2 posts, read 1,359 times
Quote:
Sounds like a good plan to me.

Have you been to Calais?

Often we see that for folks who have never been to this state, to first spend a year in a rental apartment may be a good idea. To allow getting used to the area, being a tourist, and seeing which region of the state is truly the best fit. Before buying property.

I've never been to Calais before. Honestly, I've only stopped once in Bangor on my way back from Iraq. I have several friends from Maine and they never have had anything negative to say about it. Originally from Tx, I just want a nice, quiet place to hang my hat when it's all said and done. So far, from what I've seen of the area, Calais looks like it's right up my alley. I would, of course, head up there to take a closer look first. Stationed in Germany now but the family and I love the outdoors, love to hunt and fish, and pretty much keep to ourselves. I'm a former police officer, so hopefully the department would at least let me on as a reserve officer. Plus, I'm a sucker for older colonial homes.

Old 01-01-2012, 04:52 PM

37,459 posts, read 61,373,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Subathai View Post
I've never been to Calais before. Honestly, I've only stopped once in Bangor on my way back from Iraq. I have several friends from Maine and they never have had anything negative to say about it. Originally from Tx, I just want a nice, quiet place to hang my hat when it's all said and done. So far, from what I've seen of the area, Calais looks like it's right up my alley. I would, of course, head up there to take a closer look first. Stationed in Germany now but the family and I love the outdoors, love to hunt and fish, and pretty much keep to ourselves.
I was new to Maine myself when I decided to make Maine my home.

Maine has a great deal to offer to folks 'from away'.

Quote:
... I'm a former police officer, so hopefully the department would at least let me on as a reserve officer. Plus, I'm a sucker for older colonial homes.
There used to be a time when reserve officers were common. I have known many servicemembers who were also reserve LEOs.

During my last 3-year deployment I did Law Enforcement duties, and I completed the D.O.L. apprenticeship program as a 'Police Officer 1".

When I returned stateside; I had my Police Academy certificate, along with my up-to-date training file, DOL journeyman card, and DD-214. I immediately joined the Police Officers Union, so I was a dues paying union member. I approached the state police barracks and later two different town PDs. In every case I was told that insurance policies have risen so badly, that no municipality can afford to have part-time or reserve officers. It costs them just as much to have you full-time as it does to have you part-time.

I was welcome to apply for any posted opening and compete for it like everyone else, but only if I was planning to work for them full-time.

I decided to be a farmer instead. I have my pension, which is plenty for living in Maine.

I competed with 18 - 24 year olds for a long time. I am no longer in that age group. And I have developed an awareness that I am not bullet-proof.

I wish you luck in whatever you decide to do.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine