Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-13-2007, 08:47 AM

12 posts, read 33,338 times

Advertisements

I really enjoy reading the Maine forum. I grew up in Maine, moved to Arizona 6 years ago and will be moving back in 6 weeks. Reading all of the posts about the ocean, pine smell, way of life, etc., I can't wait to come home. I have 3 children, ages 12, 9, and 2. If you feel that Maine's school system isn't very good then you need to try Az. You will want any Me. school over the best Az. school. And talking about where to live... I'm excited to get back to the simple life. In just a few short years, my family has experienced my husband's truck stolen (they found it totaled on the Mexican border), a 29 year old man posing as a 12 year old in my kid's school district (he actually didn't get caught for 4 months), a teacher's head split open (from a 7th grade girl), a 6th grade teacher saying the "f" word to the class and telling the kid's they're full of crap, 5 attempted abductions in the neighborhood of both boys and girls (and the school is within a 2 mile radius of the subdivision), the daily news consists of murder, rape, theft, beatings, etc. (did I mention DAILY), and of course the big brown cloud that looms over the valley. There are of course some beautiful things about Az. The weather from September through May is perfect. No mosquitos, black flies (we do have scorpions, black widows, tarantulas, rattler snakes), and there is about 0 percent humidity (the one thing I'm NOT looking forward to. But to raise a family, I couldn't think of a better place. We will be taking a 40,000 dollar cut in pay to come home and that my friend is the way life should be... simple. Thanks for letting me vent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2007, 11:29 AM

2,356 posts, read 5,720,031 times
Congradulations on coming home to Maine. I have a friend in Ahwatukee who I get to go visit several times a year. I must say that, though I haven't heard that much negative stuff about the schools, I am not impressed with how much the city has changed the last 6 years. The last time I was there (last month) it just seemed more dirty. Though I still love scottsdale(never could afford it) I don't think I would want to raise my children there. Its grown way too fast. I want the clean safe suburban/city lifestyle with the az climate. I assume your from phoenix area?

Old 04-13-2007, 01:21 PM

117 posts, read 430,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zakaab View Post
I really enjoy reading the Maine forum. I grew up in Maine, moved to Arizona 6 years ago and will be moving back in 6 weeks. Reading all of the posts about the ocean, pine smell, way of life, etc., I can't wait to come home. I have 3 children, ages 12, 9, and 2. If you feel that Maine's school system isn't very good then you need to try Az. You will want any Me. school over the best Az. school. And talking about where to live... I'm excited to get back to the simple life. In just a few short years, my family has experienced my husband's truck stolen (they found it totaled on the Mexican border), a 29 year old man posing as a 12 year old in my kid's school district (he actually didn't get caught for 4 months), a teacher's head split open (from a 7th grade girl), a 6th grade teacher saying the "f" word to the class and telling the kid's they're full of crap, 5 attempted abductions in the neighborhood of both boys and girls (and the school is within a 2 mile radius of the subdivision), the daily news consists of murder, rape, theft, beatings, etc. (did I mention DAILY), and of course the big brown cloud that looms over the valley. There are of course some beautiful things about Az. The weather from September through May is perfect. No mosquitos, black flies (we do have scorpions, black widows, tarantulas, rattler snakes), and there is about 0 percent humidity (the one thing I'm NOT looking forward to. But to raise a family, I couldn't think of a better place. We will be taking a 40,000 dollar cut in pay to come home and that my friend is the way life should be... simple. Thanks for letting me vent.

Wow thank-you for the heads up about Arizona...welcome back.

Old 04-13-2007, 05:50 PM

5,054 posts, read 12,424,082 times
Wow, sounds like Houston! I actually quit watching the news quite a while back, because I couldn't stomach hearing the daily violence reports. I read what I need to online and leave the drama to the rest of them! It's downright depressing!! We just constantly watch ours and our children's backs and act as safety conciously as possible - and pray a lot!

Can't wait to move to Maine!

Old 04-15-2007, 08:05 AM

443 posts, read 2,135,932 times
Zakaab,

Welcome back to Maine. My family just moved here from Arizona!! We like it here but honestly I would LOVE to go back to AZ, but we didn't live in the Phoenix metro area, we lived in Yuma about 2 hours west of Phoenix. I didn't ever think I'd miss the hot ass desert but I do. I know once summer finally comes here it will be better but I guess after complaining about the heat and sun for three years I really miss it. But we are happy to be here and have the chance to explore Maine for a few years, we had never really been anywhere this for norhteast. I LOVE lobster but found it's really not that much cheaper in MAine..go figure??
Anyway, I understand about everything you said about Phoenix, we have family that lives there and all you say is true. Even though Yuma was a smaller town I found the schools a little better and the crime not so high, but I can't for the life of me understand but I miss the desert???

Old 04-15-2007, 10:22 AM

12 posts, read 59,219 times
How funny this thread is...I live in AZ now myself...in the Mesa area but I work in the Tempe area and I'm moving to Maine next February. Saving up for it now myself and I'd have to say, living here and visiting Maine many times when I lived in upstate NY 5 years back, I will NOT miss AZ at all! I don't even care if it's not that easy to find a job or I lose a bit of money, anything is better than Phoenix. Way too many people, too much crime, too much smog and traffic....it's horrible. I moved here 5 years ago for family reasons and I can't wait to get out. So I'm with you all the way

Old 04-17-2007, 08:10 PM

7,395 posts, read 13,102,570 times
Don't we just love it when you guys brag about Maine?! lol....welcome home!

Old 04-18-2007, 12:29 PM

548 posts, read 2,648,160 times
I actually moved from Maine to AZ (Tucson). Can't say we had any of the violence in the part of Tucson we lived in and the school system was excellent. It was crime-free, very friendly, mountains we'd hike year-round, and great weather (if we got hot--we'd just jump in the pool). I loved Tucson. Would have stayed but alas, my husband's job moved us on....

I will say that I totally agree Maine is a GREAT place to raise children. I wish I'd loved living there....I coulnd't take the long winters, the black flies, etc....but I always WISHED I could, if that makes sense. I envied those who could stand that b/c I think it's a WONDERFUL place to raise children. I still go back every summer for 6 weeks to visit my folks (who love it year round!).

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine