Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2009, 01:54 PM

737 posts, read 1,036,278 times

Advertisements

[SIZE=5]Clinton, Maine Homestead Picture[/SIZE]
Around 1980, I was given an old photograph, from Herb Davison. The cardboard picture measures 5 5/8” X 9 ½”. He said it came from New England. He bought it in Skowhegan Maine, around 1958-1960, from the man, named Otto Farrington who at the time was some town Official (Mgr or Tax Collector). Sometime around 1998, when I took it out to scan it, I found that the back of the picture was stamped “Clinton, ME”, which for years I had read as “Ma” and considered Clinton Mass as a possibility. There is also a name that I can’t decipher. I found Clinton Maine on the map between Fairfield & Pittsfield along Rte 95. Clinton is 14 miles from Skowhegan.

It shows the full front view of a large, white, house, the right side being an integral barn. The camera is set up across a gravel road that runs in front of the house (State Rte 100), and you can see weeds, then the road, then the yard, and the house.

In front of the house, is a white hitching post, used for tying up the horse. Although the horse is not present, he has left his calling card on the road. Behind the post is a thin oak tree, around 25 feet high, with a trunk around 6 inches. Its leaves are full, and would be green, if this photo were in color.

Moving left to right, along the front of the house, you see a tub with flowers, three different high backed chairs & rockers, and a bent wood bench of some kind.
The wooden sliding door to the barn/garage is slid open and the opening is dark. You can see the door and handle through the window on the right. The windows, screens, and curtains are also visible. Next to the house on the right side, part of a large barn or outbuilding is visible, and an unhitched wagon is shown.
The thing that really makes this a 'haunting' picture, in the sense that you find yourself drawn to it, are the people. There are 7 people standing in the yard in front of the house. To the left of the small tree is a man; in front of the front door is a woman.

Between them is a small boy holding the handle to a 3-wheeled wooden wagon.
To the right of the tree, are 4 men. At the edge of the front porch is an older man with a white beard. In front of the barn/garage is a thin, dark man with a white goatee, a shorter white man and another dark skinned man. They are all dressed in dark, formal, clothing, and seem to be playing a game of croquet.
You can see the balls and the poles, and each of the adults are holding or leaning on a mallet. They are all standing, looking at the camera, as if posing. From their clothes, I would guess the year around 1900.
I always wondered: Who are they, and is that house still standing? If I could travel back in time, and wander up the road & introduce myself & say hello.....what a treat that would be.

The good news is that I located the house on 5/11/09. It is at 1124 Main Street Clinton Maine 04927.

I will return the original picture and to the Clinton Maine Historical Society, in care of Coleen Bean.

[font=Arial]So far, I have not been able to learn anything about Otto Farrington, or Irving Holt, who lived in the house in the past. The present owners are Marvin and Sheila Douglass.
I hope to learn in the future, when this house was built, who the people in the picture are, and when it was taken.

Jim Lehman
Pennsylvania

Last edited by round tuit; 06-17-2009 at 01:57 PM.. Reason: personal information may be embarrasing to those named
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2009, 04:56 PM

1,963 posts, read 4,752,057 times
Fascinating story!

Your description of the photo is so vivid- the farm sounds quite lovely.
I would love to see the photo! Could you scan it and upload it on to cd forum?

Good luck to you on your quest finding information on the previous owners.

Old 06-17-2009, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moughie View Post
Fascinating story!

Your description of the photo is so vivid- the farm sounds quite lovely.
I would love to see the photo! Could you scan it and upload it on to cd forum?

Good luck to you on your quest finding information on the previous owners.
I've uploaded 3 pictures of the house then and now on my cd forum album.
Jim

Old 06-17-2009, 06:35 PM

I 've uploaded 3 pictures of the house, then and now, on my cd forum album, but I am not sure how to access them. It has been amazing how this one small picture has made such a big impression!
Jim L.

Old 06-18-2009, 11:48 AM

3,638 posts, read 6,166,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Lehman View Post
I 've uploaded 3 pictures of the house, then and now, on my cd forum album, but I am not sure how to access them. It has been amazing how this one small picture has made such a big impression!
Jim L.

I looked at the pictures - great!

Am I to assume from the latest one that the homestead has gone the way of many old ones and been chopped up into apartments?

I have a copy of an old photo of my great-grandparent's homestead in Orono. Over the years it has been bought and sold to various developers and house-flippers who've turned it into an apartment building, so unless I use the road address, I couldn't find it now. It's too bad because all of the character detail like the porch is gone.

Old 06-18-2009, 05:21 PM

Your're right about that... the grand character of the house is gone! But that says as much about the family and lifestyle flippers, as much as it does about house flippers.

The porch is now enclosed. The carriage house has been converted to living
space with outside stairs and deck.
the chimney on the main part of the house is gone. The window alcove on the
left has been removed.

Treasure your photo and your memories!
Jim

Old 06-19-2009, 12:38 AM

Default Back To The Future

One of my goals in life has been to watch the "Back To the Future" Trilogy in one sitting. So far, I haven't gotten'r done.

After having this picture in Pennsylvania for the last 50 years (30 with me), I will be relieved to return it to its home town of Clinton Maine. It has been sort of an off and on hobby over the years, and I am still adjusting to the fact that the house is still sitting in Clinton.

Although the house itself has held my interest, as I discovered details and treasures, the real charm has been the people in the picture. I wanted to go back.step into the scene and talk awhile. Well....the famous DeLorean is so much rusted wreckage along "Eastwood Pass".... so I went to my trusty photo-software! "Perfect".. or is that "Heavy"!

I have attached 3 pictures.

My Great Maine Homestead Hunt-picture-1.bmp
In the first picture, I arrived before the picture was taken, and the photographer was taking a practice shot. Only the house.....no people. Without the people, the scale changes and it is lifeless.

My Great Maine Homestead Hunt-picture-2.bmp
In the second picture, I arrive after the picture has been taken... and the folks of Clinton walk up and cross the road to chat, and bring me a cool drink.

My Great Maine Homestead Hunt-picture-3.jpg
In the third picture, I find that they have returned to 2009, via my software, and are now standing outside the house of today....scratching their collective heads! They even brought their wagon.

Where will it end?

Old 06-19-2009, 04:34 PM

I guess it will end when I stand outside the house, in downtown Clinton, and actually touch it! When I can walk around it, maybe even through it! Maybe I'll find an old croquet ball under the bushes. Maybe not! I don't know when a visit will be in the cards.... but who can tell?

Old 06-19-2009, 06:20 PM

7,727 posts, read 12,379,799 times
The pic is too small for me to see well. It could be a grandchild or perhaps they're not as old as you think. My Mum had her last child at 45 though, after all those kids she looked older by today's standards.

Old 06-20-2009, 05:39 PM

I'm gonna be outta the boat for awhile... but don't worry.... I left plenty of slack!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine