Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2006, 11:17 AM

1 posts, read 8,067 times

Advertisements

My husband and I have been looking for a great place to raise our kids in Maine. We are moving from CT. If anyone has any info on the best public schools in Maine I would appreciate it!!:::
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2006, 01:38 PM

6,764 posts, read 22,065,882 times
Moderator cut: links removed

Maybe these links will help (hope we are allowed to post links to other sites!)

Last edited by Yac; 10-30-2007 at 11:51 AM..

Old 07-12-2006, 03:39 PM

9 posts, read 43,279 times
It all depends on where you live..We live in Fayette ( outside of Augusta ) and have a real nice school system. We have school of choice for 6 - 12 and you can even go to Kents Hill ( like Choate Rosemary Hall )..I came from CT and the Wallingford area to retire here in Maine. I think schools are what you make them as in this area you do have a say in your childrens education. Just wanted to drop a quick note to say it is not bad but you still have to keep your eyes open.
Good Luck in the move....
Marty

Old 07-13-2006, 07:02 PM

4 posts, read 22,014 times
I live in the Bangor area, but want to move into either Hampden or Winterport, because they have some of the best public schools in the state. I have heard that Lincoln also has a really good public school system, however it is in such a small town that there is nothing to do and no jobs to be had. Whereas Hampden and Winterport are small towns, but only about a half an hour drive to Bangor.

Old 07-16-2006, 04:52 PM

1 posts, read 8,063 times
Smile public school in Maine

Hi!

I am an elementary principal in Sebago, Maine. I've lived in Maine for 27 years now and love it. The school systems are usually set up into School Administrative Districts in most places. In our district there are four towns. We have individual elementary schools, and then one middle and one high school. It's pretty small in numbers, though large in area. Kids do ride almost an hour to get to school on the bus, though many parents don't rely on the busses. The education is excellent here. We have a new superintendent who is just awesome.

My little school has 140 kids from k-6th grade. There are around 16 kids per classroom. If you want any more info, please write!

Ande

Old 07-22-2006, 02:49 PM

2 posts, read 12,094 times
I am a recent college graduate trying to find a job teaching in a school in maine. I live in New York, but I am looking to move to maine in the future. I have been teaching in a catholic school, and for the summer a private center, and was wondering how to go about teaching in a school out there.
Take Care,
Jenny

Old 09-19-2006, 12:18 PM

566 posts, read 1,417,388 times
There is also Hebron Academy. Wonderful school.

Old 09-20-2006, 11:44 AM

423 posts, read 1,930,513 times
Cape Elizabeth, Falmouth, Cumberland (Greely), Scarborough, Gorham, Portland High all have good school systems around portland

Old 09-26-2006, 01:50 PM

46 posts, read 141,329 times
Default public schools

I checked on greatschools.net and Bangor schools ranked higher (test scores) than Winterport and Hampden. What makes these schools better? Also, there are not very many houses for sale in either area.

Old 09-28-2006, 09:02 PM

55 posts, read 285,982 times
Default York schools

Hi,
My husband, son and I are also looking into relocating - we are in New England now - today we visited York and were pleasantly surprised (just hadn't given it much consideration by distance data)...it was very small, but beautiful, on the water, nice homes. Seemed very safe. My only concern is what I also have been reading on sites about the schools (reviews), and also drugs. Can anyone share info on York? Are the schools supposed to be good...bad? Are drugs a significant problem - one that should keep me from considering the area?

Thanks in advance for your replies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine