Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2007, 11:49 AM

87 posts, read 322,310 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mollysmiles View Post
Ok, we did say "honestly" right? I do think that we natives can be skeptical of people "from away" who are moving here, but I think it's more from a strong desire to protect what we have worked hard to achieve. I know for me once someone shows me that they have respect for the culture that is here, the environment, and the Maine way of life, they're good in my book. What has made us skeptical are the people who move here with a goal to change everything into what they just left! Also, as you can easily see from some of these posts, there are people who move here and complain, complain, complain. And then wonder why they're having trouble "fitting in" or making friends. Honestly.
Thanks for the honest response. I'm well aware of everything you said which is why I mentioned in my original post that I like Maine for the Maine I know. That was just my way of saying (without upsetting anyone) that my reasons for moving to Maine are because I like/love Maine for how it is. I have no interest in changing Maine or complaining about anything-why would I move to Maine if I wanted to change it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2007, 11:52 AM

7,395 posts, read 13,102,570 times
Woo Hoo Audrey! Exactly!

Last edited by mollysmiles; 05-01-2007 at 11:52 AM.. Reason: to add smiley

Old 05-01-2007, 02:00 PM

74 posts, read 367,117 times
Molly girl - I got on the phone and READ one of 'em your post. My hubby is a travelling physician and I want you to know he isn't the only Mainer he has met who moved. Every state, including Maine, has people who were BORN AND BRED in a place for for one reason or another, must move. Jeepers girl. This is a friendly forum and the other poster is just trying to get some information.

Old 05-01-2007, 02:05 PM

oh, a traveler....now I get it!

Interesting that you read that as unfriendly, as I don't believe it was. I believe I made myself clear in saying that what you stated is unusual....think you should reread that.

Old 05-01-2007, 02:07 PM

Hi there Audry - I so understand your feelings. I don't think Mainers or anyone in any of our beautiful states has a corner on pride for their place of "home" and doesn't want it to change. It is hurtful when you meet new people (who have every right to move where they want to) and then they criticize your hometown and state when THEY moved here! Years ago we worked in a very small Oregon town and such an uproar when "outsiders" came in. Ten years later, most people agree the place is a better town today. Some of those outsiders turned out to be fine neighbors and have some of the finest dairy farms in the area. By the way, Aroostook potatoes are the best. I used to order seed potatoes from some place up there - marvelous. I can't remember the name though.

Old 05-01-2007, 02:09 PM

Molly, I'm happy to say your attitude does not reflect those of the Mainers I know. If you're trying to get people not to move to your community, I think your posts are helping...

Old 05-01-2007, 02:11 PM

really? oh....thanks for the 411.....

Old 05-01-2007, 02:14 PM

You're welcome. Have a neat day, really.

Old 05-01-2007, 03:37 PM

581 posts, read 713,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audry524 View Post
... I have no interest in changing Maine or complaining about anything-why would I move to Maine if I wanted to change it?
I don't think this is the attitude that is expected by ALL Mainers. What we don't particularly care for is pushy, arrogant types. It's not so much WHAT a newcomer does as much as HOW they do it. If a newcomer is going to treat the locals like a bunch of ignorant morons, even though some of us might deserve to be treated that way, then that will cause resentment and rejection. That's pretty simple, I think. Mainer's appreciate courtesy.

Old 05-01-2007, 04:45 PM

2,724 posts, read 6,426,329 times
OK, I do believe the original question was "How would outsiders do in Maine?"
Let's see:
1) Respect your neighbors-(as in any other community)
2)Observe local laws-(You have to!)
3)Kindness goes a long way. (Mom taught me that)
4)If possible join civic groups and get involved in community affairs.
5)Attend church services (Great way to network and meet new friends-if you are religious)
6) Enjoy our beautiful State with all it's offerings!
Maine is not unlike any other state in that if you're good neighbors we will bend over back wards to make your experience a great move! So Audrey c'mon up!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine