Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2009, 02:24 AM

52 posts, read 127,015 times

Advertisements

We left Maine almost 3 years ago. I said I have had enough of the snow and cold. My husband took a transfer within his company and we landed in South Carolina. In these last 3 years, my son has been hurt by his teachers at school, locked in a closet by his teachers, and ended up in the ER due to his injuries for this horrible day. He is midly autistic, but a smart boy. The school has said he was not aggressive that day and they were the first to put their hands on him. So now my 9 year old is home with me during the day because he and us are terrirified of him being in school. We have decided there is no place like home and will be returning in January. My husband has asked his company to transfer him home.
We will be looking for a rental, but will have friends to stay with if we cant find a place right away.
My question, is do you know if there tend to be rentals open during the winter months in Maine? I don't recall because I never looked for one during that time. My first thought was.....who moves in Maine during the winter? crazy people! Well call us crazy, we were born there, and must return there to recoup some of our sanity. It's crazier here in the South.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2009, 02:56 AM

44 posts, read 78,489 times
Hi
Where in SC are you? I am presently in Greenwood moving to Fort Fairfield Maine in a week. You are right about this place! The schools are bad and my young son can't wait to move. He asked me if we could move this weekend! But our house is not ready yet. Where in Maine will you be living or do you know yet? We have never lived in Maine, guess some would say we are crazy for moving so close to winter but we are looking forward to the snow, peace and safety in Maine. Good luck on your move!

Old 09-26-2009, 03:00 AM

783 posts, read 1,575,129 times
Hi grunzen. I live in the mid-coast area and there are definitely rentals available in the winter. Perhaps you will even be able to find a great deal. Surely landlords are grateful to rent previously unrented spaces and get some relief from paying for heat themselves.

So, best wishes and welcome home...

Old 09-26-2009, 04:22 AM
RHB

1,098 posts, read 2,151,184 times
What area are you going to transfer to?

Old 09-26-2009, 04:39 AM

4,112 posts, read 6,520,012 times
I saw lots of stuff available in the downeast area. I assume it would be easy as the summer people are moving out.

Old 09-27-2009, 02:01 AM

52 posts, read 127,015 times
We are near Charleston, SC right now. Everyone seems to think we are crazy for returning to Maine, but that is HOME. A person can adapt to certain things, but my heart has always been in Maine. We will be moving somewhere in Central Maine. I am a little nervous about the timing for the move. The drive up there is going to be interesting to say the least. I hope the week we go is the January thaw. Plus I have been searching online because the kids will need all new winter stuff. Going to start buying that now. I will probably have to order everything because they just dont seem to sell the heavy winter stuff here in the south. HaHaHa
Verenda, Fort Fairfield will be quite a change for you. They don't just get snow there, they get SNOW. Why are you going to Maine?
Thanks for the answers. I will start looking the end of November to beginning of December. Our friends up there will be able to go look at a place for us if we find something.

Old 09-27-2009, 07:21 AM

63 posts, read 136,860 times
As far as where to find houses/apts to lease, there are PLENTY on craigslist: maine apts/housing for rent classifieds - craigslist , which is where we found the house we just leased. During the winter they might slow down, but the ones that are available will be thrilled to have a potential tenant in January, like someone else mentioned, since the next hope to get someone in would be late spring.

Worst-case scenario, you could get a furnished winter rental through June, which will put you through the school year, and then get a longer term home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunzen View Post
Plus I have been searching online because the kids will need all new winter stuff. Going to start buying that now. I will probably have to order everything because they just dont seem to sell the heavy winter stuff here in the south.
Try Sierra Trading Post – Great Deals. Great Brands. for winter gear. Very, very low prices for high-quality clothes. I got top of the line Columbia boots (the heavy duty blizzard kind) there for around $40. It's a really great place.

Good luck with your move!

Old 09-27-2009, 07:59 PM

87 posts, read 251,914 times
Thanks, Coastal P, for the Sierra Trading Post link.
There is a glut of rents in Central Maine. The prices have lowered because everyone is piling in with their relatives and friends and making enemies. No money. You will be fine, grunzen, as long as he has his job. fine fine fine.

Old 09-28-2009, 10:03 AM

6,928 posts, read 5,905,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by verenda View Post
Hi
Where in SC are you? I am presently in Greenwood moving to Fort Fairfield Maine in a week. You are right about this place! The schools are bad and my young son can't wait to move. He asked me if we could move this weekend! But our house is not ready yet. Where in Maine will you be living or do you know yet? We have never lived in Maine, guess some would say we are crazy for moving so close to winter but we are looking forward to the snow, peace and safety in Maine. Good luck on your move!
You will actually have a nice month to arrive in..........love October in the County!

Old 09-28-2009, 11:12 AM

164 posts, read 353,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grunzen View Post
We left Maine almost 3 years ago. I said I have had enough of the snow and cold. My husband took a transfer within his company and we landed in South Carolina. In these last 3 years, my son has been hurt by his teachers at school, locked in a closet by his teachers, and ended up in the ER due to his injuries for this horrible day. He is midly autistic, but a smart boy. The school has said he was not aggressive that day and they were the first to put their hands on him. So now my 9 year old is home with me during the day because he and us are terrirified of him being in school. We have decided there is no place like home and will be returning in January. My husband has asked his company to transfer him home.
We will be looking for a rental, but will have friends to stay with if we cant find a place right away.
My question, is do you know if there tend to be rentals open during the winter months in Maine? I don't recall because I never looked for one during that time. My first thought was.....who moves in Maine during the winter? crazy people! Well call us crazy, we were born there, and must return there to recoup some of our sanity. It's crazier here in the South.

I am so happy you get to go home and your family can enjoy being a family again...Florida schools are the pits too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine