Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2009, 05:21 AM

88 posts, read 221,512 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Before moving to Maine, lots of people warned me about the inherent stinginess of New Englanders. We never experienced on our first visit to New England, and after living here for almost three years, we've found Mainers to be generous and friendly, but still respecting your privacy and expecting you to return the favor. Yankee stinginess? Where???

Well, I have found it in one place, and it strikes me as very peculiar: Standing in line.

Twice while waiting in line for the confessional at church, I have witnessed people get into arguments (one quite heated) over whose turn it was next. All over an extra five minutes, if that. (Maybe they were trying to work up an extra sin or two before going in? )

The other day at the library, two women got into a verbal tussle over whose turn it was in line. The older lady was more than a little rude. And really: would it have been the end of the world to have to wait in line an extra 90 seconds?

I've seen similar occurrences in lines at fast food joints, the post office, my favorite local coffee house, and the theater.

What is it about standing in line that makes some folks lose all sense of generosity?
Thats one of the reasons I stopped going to church.Too many hipocrites. If its not that, they will run you over after the service to get out of there, and think its OK I just went to church like a good little doobie I will be forgiven. Cracks me up
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2009, 05:59 AM

1,297 posts, read 3,518,710 times
Why not combine your hatred and your love Ranger...

Use your rifle to take each person out that is in line in front of you? Makes sense to me, especially in the summer when the number of tourists are at a higher percentage then in the winter.

Oh wait, we already have those people here...postal workers! Now that's a scary thought, the postal service losing 1 billion per year, eminent job cuts, longer lines and Christmas season coming up.

Old 10-04-2009, 06:07 AM

7,727 posts, read 12,384,753 times
Guess my "stinginess" came out in line at the store recently. I made the clerk run a price check on the brown bananas. They were ringing up as .25 per lb. they were supposed to be .10 per pound. I was buying a good amount of them for baking.

Old 10-04-2009, 08:44 AM

8,767 posts, read 18,671,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msina View Post
Guess my "stinginess" came out in line at the store recently. I made the clerk run a price check on the brown bananas. They were ringing up as .25 per lb. they were supposed to be .10 per pound. I was buying a good amount of them for baking.
That's thriftiness not stinginess. Big difference. I knew a woman who used to snap all of the hard ends off her asparagus in the store before she bought it. She said "I'm just going to do it at home....why pay for the part I'm throwing away?" She had a point though it was an odd thing to do.

Old 10-04-2009, 08:52 AM

2,059 posts, read 4,203,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moughie View Post
You are right, Ranger,
Every minute DOES count, regardless of where a person lives.
If I see a line, I just change my target and find something similar with no line.
when the express line has 20 people in it its no longer the express line.
when i pull up to the fast food place and there is 15 cars its no longer fast food.

Old 10-04-2009, 09:18 AM

6,631 posts, read 13,544,749 times
If it's fast food is it really food?

Old 10-04-2009, 09:20 AM

1,963 posts, read 4,753,941 times
Give me slow food anyday!

Old 10-04-2009, 11:10 AM

228 posts, read 474,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Writer View Post
If it's fast food is it really food?

nothin like a cold burger, warm cheese, and hard stale bun that was tossed together an hour before you ordered it....bleh!

The stinginess is everywhere though....people are too impatient at times...but hey...it's what makes them who they are. Me...I am like...if you need to hurry...then go for it. Pass me on the road, jump in front of me in line....but what's great is when the light still catches them and they got a whole car length ahead of where they started....or the cashier needs to call for a manager....seems they didn't get ahead too far after all. Makes me giggle every time. Hubby shakes his head when I giggle at them.

Old 10-04-2009, 11:59 AM

88 posts, read 221,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RANGER.101ST View Post
when the express line has 20 people in it its no longer the express line.
when i pull up to the fast food place and there is 15 cars its no longer fast food.
I love it when they get into the express line with about 40 items and then stand there and wait until everything is rung up(and they don't even help bag the crap) and the cashier gives them the total , now they start foraging around for the money. I want to ask them "what was you waiting for? did you think you were going to be the 1million customer and get it free, get your money out and be ready to pay."

Old 10-04-2009, 12:39 PM

1,816 posts, read 3,391,576 times
I get stingy with my thermostat, routine, health and ordering food at a restaurant (but not tipping).

But I get stingiest with my time, especially when I have just one or two items in a checkout line and I thought that I could get in and out of the store quickly and the person ahead of me is just starting to write a check for their items...

But I don't think these are exclusivly Maine traits. Just an independant, frugal and practical nature. Which describes Mainer's maybe. Or I'm just a lazy cheap bum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine