Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2009, 12:56 PM

37,468 posts, read 61,406,816 times

Advertisements

As a 'Maine' topic, I would like to see a polite discussion about our up-coming ballot issues.

I understand that this is a political kind of topic, but it truly is a Maine topic.

I have not heard any discussion of these on the radio, and we do not get TV. I have began seeing signs up in Bangor: "vote No on _" and "vote Yes on _".

As a voter I wish to learn more about these ballot 'questions'. I would like to think that every Maine voter would wish to learn more about them.

I went to this website, cut-pasted the ballot questions, and here they are.
Maine 2009 ballot measures - Ballotpedia

Question 1: Do you want to reject the new law that lets same-sex couples marry and allows individuals and religious groups to refuse to perform these marriages?

Question 2: Do you want to cut the rate of the municipal excise tax by an average of 55% on motor vehicles less than six years old and exempt hybrid and other alternative-energy and highly fuel-efficient motor vehicles from sales tax and three years of excise tax?

Question 3: Do you want to repeal the 2007 law on school district consolidation and restore the laws previously in effect?

Question 4: Do you want to change the existing formulas that limit state and local government spending and require voter approval by referendum for spending over those limits and for increases in state taxes?

Question 5: Do you want to change the medical marijuana laws to allow treatment of more medical conditions and to create a regulated system of distribution?

Question 6: Do you favor a $71,250,000 bond issue for improvements to highways and bridges, airports, public transit facilities, ferry and port facilities, including port and harbor structures, as well as funds for the LifeFlight Foundation that will make the State eligible for over $148,000,000 in federal and other matching funds?

Question 7: Do you favor amending the Constitution of Maine to increase the amount of time that local officials have to certify the signatures on direct initiative petitions?

Old 10-22-2009, 01:18 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,671,905 times
I'll throw this in for as long as this thread lasts. I have no problem with gay marriage in general. I DO have a problem with the legislature going against the will of the people and/or subverting that will by passing the gay marriage law with little public debate and no chance for the people to vote on it. The people of this State who TWICE voted against an equal rights law. I should think those votes would have been enough of a hint for the legislature not to bend to the will of special interests and pass a trendy law without putting the issue up for a general vote. If the people of the state vote to allow gay marriage then so be it. They should be allowed the oppurtunity to vote on the issue however. Since the legislature went against popular sentiment with this law, like they did with the soda and beer tax to fund Dirigo health care, I will vote to repeal the law with a yes vote just to send the legislature the message that Mainers do not like back room deals with anyone! They are there to do the people's bidding and MUST listen to our opinion no matter how unpopular that makes us with vocal special interests and neighboring states.

Old 10-22-2009, 01:32 PM

Default question #2

Many folks with newer cars do complain about the excise taxes, so I would think that everyone would be in favour of lowering the excise taxes.

Old 10-22-2009, 01:40 PM

1,816 posts, read 3,391,576 times
=10 foot pole...Me don't touch subject with.

I can't vote here yet anyway. Haven't got my liscense here yet. All this stuff has been on the CA ballots before so I'm used to these kinds of ballots. Kind of glad I can't vote. I just take what comes and smile.

Last edited by RMoore007; 10-22-2009 at 01:42 PM.. Reason: added why.

Old 10-22-2009, 02:01 PM

Default Question #3

It seems to me that the 'school district consolidation' was discussed a lot here on CD.

A lot of folks sounded like they did not want it.

Though I can see the importance in trying to lower the cost of public-funded education.

Old 10-22-2009, 02:01 PM

1,402 posts, read 3,501,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineah View Post
I'll throw this in for as long as this thread lasts. I have no problem with gay marriage in general. I DO have a problem with the legislature going against the will of the people and/or subverting that will by passing the gay marriage law with little public debate and no chance for the people to vote on it. The people of this State who TWICE voted against an equal rights law. I should think those votes would have been enough of a hint for the legislature not to bend to the will of special interests and pass a trendy law without putting the issue up for a general vote. If the people of the state vote to allow gay marriage then so be it. They should be allowed the oppurtunity to vote on the issue however. Since the legislature went against popular sentiment with this law, like they did with the soda and beer tax to fund Dirigo health care, I will vote to repeal the law with a yes vote just to send the legislature the message that Mainers do not like back room deals with anyone! They are there to do the people's bidding and MUST listen to our opinion no matter how unpopular that makes us with vocal special interests and neighboring states.
Frankly, I don't see what you have a problem with here. This is the legislative process as it was designed. The legislature passed a law that some people didn't like, they got a petition accepted to get it on ballot at the next election so we can all vote on it. Yes there are flaws in the system but this is how the system works.

What I find disturbing is that you don't have any problems with gay marriage, yet you plan to vote yes-on-1 just to tell the Maine legislature that you don't like how the system works!

Keep in mind this isn't about taxing soda or dumping a ailing health plan, this is peoples lives we are talking about. You are correct that many people in the state don't want equal rights for gay folks....if you really believe in the ideals that America was founded upon than this should really be disturbing to you on a fundamental level, as it disturbs me.

I've read so many posts on this board about how Mainers are these self-reliant folks who don't care about how their neighbor carries on, about how they believe in "live and let live" and all that....time for everyone around here to put your money where you mouth is and vote no on 1.

I've said my piece.

Last edited by broadbill; 10-22-2009 at 02:02 PM.. Reason: punctuation etc

Old 10-22-2009, 02:14 PM

4,975 posts, read 11,697,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadbill View Post
Frankly, I don't see what you have a problem with here. This is the legislative process as it was designed. The legislature passed a law that some people didn't like, they got a petition accepted to get it on ballot at the next election so we can all vote on it. Yes there are flaws in the system but this is how the system works.

What I find disturbing is that you don't have any problems with gay marriage, yet you plan to vote yes-on-1 just to tell the Maine legislature that you don't like how the system works!

Keep in mind this isn't about taxing soda or dumping a ailing health plan, this is peoples lives we are talking about. You are correct that many people in the state don't want equal rights for gay folks....if you really believe in the ideals that America was founded upon than this should really be disturbing to you on a fundamental level, as it disturbs me.

I've read so many posts on this board about how Mainers are these self-reliant folks who don't care about how their neighbor carries on, about how they believe in "live and let live" and all that....time for everyone around here to put your money where you mouth is and vote no on 1.

I've said my piece.
Excellent post! Couldn't have said it better myself.

Old 10-22-2009, 02:37 PM

Default Question #4

There are already formulas that limit state and local government spending.

Does this raise or lower those limits?

Old 10-22-2009, 02:43 PM

3,468 posts, read 7,243,213 times
1 I won't touch

2 excise tax should be based on the actual price of the vehicle, not on msrp. I won't vote to repeal though. This tax is actually used by the towns.

3 nice idea, but I don't think that this is the real answer.

4 I'll definitely vote for. Should be that you just vote out the big spenders, but it doesn't seem to matter which party is in. They just give our money to somebody else.

5 I'll vote against. Little to do with medicine and a lot to do with pot possession.

6 Always no. Those matching funds come from taxes/ money that we don't have anyway.

7 just no. seems unneeded.

There, got my daily dose of curmudgeon out of the way. Thanks forrest.

Old 10-22-2009, 02:43 PM

874 posts, read 1,855,958 times
Ouch. Just paid my excise tax. But I'm still going to vote to keep the system as is. It seems fair that people with pricier cars should pay more to keep our roads in shape. But after watching my bank account bottom out just now I may call and complain about potholes more this year. :P

I am voting No on One. This will be the most important vote I have ever cast. No one is equal unless everyone is equal.

I'll vote no on TABOR. I don't want to see our legislators hamstrung in this particular financial climate.

Medical marijuana I'm still thinking about. Probably will vote Yes on that one but I need to learn more about it.

More time for signature verification seems that it would save money and insure that the process is valid so I'm OK with that.

Big numbers on the infrastructure bond issue but I see a need for it so that's a yes.

School consolidation I may abstain on. I don't know enough about how those issues effect others in the state but I am happy with Portland's schools.

In summary:

1. NO

2. NO

3. Abstain

4. NO

5. Probably Yes.

6. Yes.

7. Yes
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine