Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2009, 04:08 PM

45 posts, read 109,433 times

Advertisements

Picked this out of a previous post. The Mrs. and I have made plans to land in Central Maine early 2012. In the meantime I'm sucking up the serenity while I build us a camp up on a hill in Sebec. This started out as a stretch three years ago and now seems to be coming down to the wire as a reality. I think finding the reasons to move to Maine were excuses to leave what we once had here that all changed. Probing these thoughts and years of field trips brought to light that some of friendliest people in the world live there. Most seem to live to ripe old age. The wildlife is more than abundant and puts on shows on a daily basis. And of coarse "Home Toast"! I can't wait another two years here in the mire. We're in our early 50's and think that were making the right choice to finish out the last quadrant of life in the bucolic setting that we were lucky enough to find. Any other people thinking of moving to Maine? What are your thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2009, 04:29 PM

7,077 posts, read 8,936,385 times
dramamama and I are counting the minutes until we make our escape to Eastport.

The area we are in now here in Ohio was OK at one time but now is a hell hole of cornfields morphing into subdivisions, strip malls, traffic jams, noise, garbage and crime.

Eastport is not that much different from the place I remember as a kid, there is no way I could not go back.

Old 12-02-2009, 09:12 PM

298 posts, read 481,880 times
I am hoping to get a summer residence there in Maine, hopefully by the end of 2010. Was able to talk my husband into it by noting he could build the house. He loves building things...not great on totally finishing em but he does like to build! Just finished a woodshed in a day made out of palettes that he is thoroughly pleased with. The wood seems content as well, lol. He dearly loves the house we have here in Mass and his family and friends are here so never could nor would I try, to get him to move to Maine permanently. I really can't wait

Old 12-02-2009, 10:09 PM

1,064 posts, read 2,032,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostbite View Post
Picked this out of a previous post. The Mrs. and I have made plans to land in Central Maine early 2012. In the meantime I'm sucking up the serenity while I build us a camp up on a hill in Sebec. This started out as a stretch three years ago and now seems to be coming down to the wire as a reality. I think finding the reasons to move to Maine were excuses to leave what we once had here that all changed. Probing these thoughts and years of field trips brought to light that some of friendliest people in the world live there. Most seem to live to ripe old age. The wildlife is more than abundant and puts on shows on a daily basis. And of coarse "Home Toast"! I can't wait another two years here in the mire. We're in our early 50's and think that were making the right choice to finish out the last quadrant of life in the bucolic setting that we were lucky enough to find. Any other people thinking of moving to Maine? What are your thoughts?
Why would you want to live in a place with so much snow and cold and darkness for so much of the year, when most people your age can't stand that, and move to sunbelt states instead (I'm not criticizing your choice of Maine, it's just that I was surprised to learn many retirees have moved to Maine in recent years--I wouldn't have expected that because of the climate, etc.; and I always wondered what motivates them, and how they view the climate).

Old 12-03-2009, 02:55 AM

45 posts, read 109,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutDoorNut View Post
Why would you want to live in a place with so much snow and cold and darkness for so much of the year, when most people your age can't stand that, and move to sunbelt states instead (I'm not criticizing your choice of Maine, it's just that I was surprised to learn many retirees have moved to Maine in recent years--I wouldn't have expected that because of the climate, etc.; and I always wondered what motivates them, and how they view the climate).
Sebec gets over 100 inches of snow annually and has about a month of near 30 below zero temperatures. A bit harsher than we're used to now. What I have learned was that in the winter we don't go outside a lot unless we're headed off to work. We just stay in the house. So it doesn't matter if it's 36F or -30F. We hand shovel the house now and that's getting old. Especially now that the new influx of people don't understand that if you shovel a spot for your car it's not for them. We have relatives that live in Florida that have been brought to tears by escalating property taxes. Looks like they have to move. I guess a good choice now would be the Carolina's. One of our neighbors in Sebec said his wife demanded to leave the harsh winter and head there. They sold everything an built a house down there. 5 years later they're back in Sebec. Must be somethng about the air. I chose the site because I too like to build things and a 4 and a half hour drive puts me right in my driveway and I'm ready to go. That's about 700 feet long. I have a guy keep it clear all winter long for what we in the city would consider cheap. I have a tractor to clear it when we arrive for good. I like the prices for sevices there. When dealing with people everything seems fair. I like the fact that you can't sell something that's worth a dollar for a buck and a half. Your best bid might be 90 cents. It's a mindset like this that keeps the property taxes and town spending down to earth. Building new let me delve into the "Super Insulated" type structures. That will put a handle on heating costs. So I guess it's really about money and fixed income. My biggest hurdle is health insurance. We'll be 55 upon arrival and won't be able to do the Medicare thing for quite some time. That will be a challenge but I'm working on this. Here I'm paying about 1200 dollars a year for water. In Sebec it's free! Now and then one of our neighbors invites us over for dinner. I noticed that most of what's on the table didn't come out of a store. Looks like they're pretty self sufficiant. The foods good and I'm sure they're not dropping 200 bucks at the grocery store every week. I'm looking forward to living a less stressed and more simple lifestile. I think that the "If your lucky enough to live in Maine, Your lucky enough." slogan makes sense to us.

Old 12-03-2009, 04:35 AM
JC3

296 posts, read 824,055 times
Frostbite, like yourself, I am planning on making Maine my final resting place. I looked in Fl, they can have it. (Before anyone yells, that is just personal preference.) I looked at lakes in many southern states and if you like muddy and brownish water..that may be for some...not for me. Sure there is snow up in New England but each area has some type of weather pattern that isn't pleasant at times. If you are retired and don't need to go to work....let it snow! Depending how far north one goes, I figure you have from April-Nov for decent weather. Yes, April and Nov are iffy but I can live with them. We have black flies but I would much rather them than the damn roaches down south. Heck, I just bite them back.

The house will be completed in early Jan and although I will be maintaining 2 homes for awhile, I can't wait for completion. I figure the heating costs balance out what one would spend to keep the A/C going in the hot sweltering humid weather in other areas. Not sure if taxes are going to be any better, but it was not an item of concern. But I am hopeful that they don't rise any more than they are.

I agree about the people being friendly. I am sure there are areas that may be clannish but that is common anywhere. If you like 4 seasons, we have it all here. Beautiful oceans, mountains, lakes, wildlife...what more can one ask for. Oops...forgot another thing..serenity.

Old 12-03-2009, 04:40 AM

2,497 posts, read 3,403,730 times
Great question. Our answer: Because Maine is very much the opposite of DC and northern Virginia.

Maine feels like the place we should have been born in. It feels like home.

Old 12-03-2009, 04:42 AM

4,112 posts, read 6,518,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JC3 View Post
Frostbite, like yourself, I am planning on making Maine my final resting place. I looked in Fl, they can have it. (Before anyone yells, that is just personal preference.) I looked at lakes in many southern states and if you like muddy and brownish water..that may be for some...not for me. Sure there is snow up in New England but each area has some type of weather pattern that isn't pleasant at times. If you are retired and don't need to go to work....let it snow! Depending how far north one goes, I figure you have from April-Nov for decent weather. Yes, April and Nov are iffy but I can live with them. We have black flies but I would much rather them than the damn roaches down south. Heck, I just bite them back.

The house will be completed in early Jan and although I will be maintaining 2 homes for awhile, I can't wait for completion. I figure the heating costs balance out what one would spend to keep the A/C going in the hot sweltering humid weather in other areas. Not sure if taxes are going to be any better, but it was not an item of concern. But I am hopeful that they don't rise any more than they are.

I agree about the people being friendly. I am sure there are areas that may be clannish but that is common anywhere. If you like 4 seasons, we have it all here. Beautiful oceans, mountains, lakes, wildlife...what more can one ask for. Oops...forgot another thing..serenity.

Ayuh.. couldn't agree more.. people, picturesque views, and more!

Old 12-03-2009, 05:44 AM

2,356 posts, read 5,717,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostbite View Post
I think people who have been around and lived a little bit know more about what it is that they want and what's Important to them.. SOO many people share your feelings about Maine and have found just that living here!

Old 12-03-2009, 06:44 AM

37,449 posts, read 61,360,276 times
We moved to Maine after I got my pension and here in Maine I am able to retire.

We like living in a forest, rather than in a housing tract.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine