Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2008, 07:19 PM

7,395 posts, read 13,097,500 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limbic View Post
I'm honestly glad it's working for you, but I'm really worried about Maine's elderly, its single moms living below the poverty level even though they're working more than one job (and in some cases several), and the countless good people who are just barely getting by, yet don't qualify for any kind of aid. And I can tell you that the economy in Maine is much worse than it is in most other areas of the country right now, and...winter's coming. I'm not trying to be negative, just calling it like I see it after four decades of life in Maine.

You're not telling me anything I don't know, or anyone else here for that matter I'm sure. I've worked in social services for a number of years---this has been up close and personal for me in that aspect as well as the fact that I have been a single mother with four children. I will tell you one striking thing that I've discovered however. People who truly want to work in Maine, do, and can, find jobs. That doesn't apply to the elderly obviously in this case. People do what it takes *if* they want to stay. It's important for you and others to realize though that not everyone who stays does so because they are settling for less, or that they are only surviving. Most of the Mainers I know, and I know many, live here, work here, and stay here by choice. I'm not going to get in a pissing match with you, that's not what this forum is for. I've lived here all of my 42 years and I'm just calling it like I see it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2008, 07:47 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,663,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mollysmiles View Post
You're not telling me anything I don't know, or anyone else here for that matter I'm sure. I've worked in social services for a number of years---this has been up close and personal for me in that aspect as well as the fact that I have been a single mother with four children. I will tell you one striking thing that I've discovered however. People who truly want to work in Maine, do, and can, find jobs. That doesn't apply to the elderly obviously in this case. People do what it takes *if* they want to stay. It's important for you and others to realize though that not everyone who stays does so because they are settling for less, or that they are only surviving. Most of the Mainers I know, and I know many, live here, work here, and stay here by choice. I'm not going to get in a pissing match with you, that's not what this forum is for. I've lived here all of my 42 years and I'm just calling it like I see it.
I agree with Limbic things are not good in Maine now. That said I'm not moving. Mollysmiles is right. We stay because we like it here. Cold, fuel worries,discomfort, making do with what we have ....we're used to it all. We have character here. We're not led by the media hype and scare tactics. Most of us have seen it all. Snow,ice storms, lengthy power outages, droughts, floods(forrest got his baptism last spring),
Good seasons and bad, high taxes and prices. Yet average it out with some beautiful summer and fall weather, warm sand on the beach ,safe, low crime towns, decent schools,a little garden, a few clams and a lobster,a little venison for the freezer, fresh air and nights full of stars.... the hardships always seem worth the benefits.
Limbic already misses Maine and deep down you always will. I couldn't live in Texas ...or anywhere else, unless I knew I was going home to Maine someday...soon!

Old 08-02-2008, 08:06 PM

3,231 posts, read 7,462,440 times
Couldn't rep either of you again just yet. Just publicly saying "yeah, I hear you both". It is what it is, Mainers do what they have to do. It was bread unto all of us. A common bond we all share.

Old 08-02-2008, 08:52 PM

6,631 posts, read 13,537,201 times
I worry about the elderly. I often (literally) wonder why some of the widows I know don't pool their resources and live together. Two or three, or more, people sharing the bills makes more sense than trying to pay two or three or more sets of bills. It's definitely better than being cold and hungry all winter. Single moms could be doing the same thing. So can other low income folks.

With few exceptions, if you want to move to Maine and be happy you'll be able make it work.

Old 08-02-2008, 08:57 PM

73 posts, read 148,198 times
Molie, I like your entries here. There are many who can make it work and live here and make it. There are others who work and work and just don't move forward. I can't say that is a Maine thing. But, Maine is a " service" state and jobs which mean working outdoors. But there are those who want to retire here also. I love it. I worry about our elderly, but compared to what is available from other states, I have to say we are working on things. I do know that we need to pay attention to our elderly and the single moms out there. The cost of living and what someone might earn is far apart. If you have an education beyond high school, then I would say there is the opportunity. There is opprotunity for those without the college eduction or high school diploma. There are many family employment opportunities. Carpenters who have grown up with it in their family and carry on after their parent and grand parents. There are farms run by those who grew up in that environment and choose to continue in that line of work. There is the forestry person, etc. I can go on. We are diverse and unique.You have to prove yourself and let people know your worth. I don't want to say it isn't easy. I would more likely say take the challenge.
Sue

Old 08-02-2008, 08:57 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,663,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Writer View Post
I worry about the elderly. I often (literally) wonder why some of the widows I know don't pool their resources and live together. Two or three, or more, people sharing the bills makes more sense than trying to pay two or three or more sets of bills. It's definitely better than being cold and hungry all winter. Single moms could be doing the same thing. So can other low income folks.

With few exceptions, if you want to move to Maine and be happy you'll be able make it work.
My Mom moved in with a friend for several years after my Dad died. It helped them both a lot. It was fun when both families would show up around Christmas and other holidays. We're still very close with the Greene family!

Old 08-02-2008, 09:05 PM

3,231 posts, read 7,462,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Writer View Post

MW, this concept for widows makes total sense to me, for sure. I'm not sure if it would work the same for single mothers however. IMO, there are too many other equations that may come into place in order for that to work. In certain circumstances, yes it would be very beneficial for all of those single mothers that are dedicated to nothing more than raising a healthy family. Great idea!

Old 08-02-2008, 09:49 PM

5,054 posts, read 12,419,586 times
Boy, could I write a saga here!!! We've been researching the possibility of moving to Maine for more than 3 years now, I believe. We have researched the income stats, taxes, utilities, crime rates, educatation stats.......and the list goes on and on and on. When we visited Maine early 07, that "possibility" became an ABSOLUTELY!!

This is what we found: Our children can play outside without being in our direct line of sight in Maine, and we won't fear them being abducted or worse in their own back yard. I have to add that on the 10pm news, I heard the story of a pregnant lady who was stabbed by a random attacker in her back yard. Our crime rates are WAY up there compared to even the largest cities in Maine.

We can actually walk outside without losing our breath to the heat during the month of August! Better still, we'll have temps below 40 more than 5 days during the winter! And may I say SNOW???

The education they will receive in Maine's schools will FAR exeed what is available here. They will go from a 60% chance of graduating high school to more than 90%, and their chances of choosing post graduate studies will double. The teen pregnancy rates in Texas are also now among the highest in the nation. I also don't think our kids will have to enter through metal detectors or have security officers patrolling the grounds of the middle and upper schools.

In comparing our cost of living between Our Town, TX and our intended destination in Maine, we find that DH's salary will be about the same and our living expenses approximately 10% higher. Will he HAVE a job? Yes. He's fortunately in an understaffed field and has been told several times to hurry up and get there! We'll make up the difference gladly!

I have shared this several times, so I won't go into a lot of detail. During our visit, we were so warmly welcomed by every Mainer we ran into that our kids kept asking why everyone was being so nice to us! We couldn't make a "quick" stop to grab a snack at a store or have lunch at a restaurant without having a full length conversation about what we were looking for in Maine and then countless suggestions on how and where to find it! My last conversation was with the sales clerk at Family Dollar in Belfast, who gave me her PHONE # so I could find her when we returned again!! She offered to help us get settled in and show us around. My friends, you will NEVER find that in Texas!

I could just go on forever. I haven't even mentioned the unmatched life, breath and beauty of my beloved Maine........We'll be home soon! Leave the light on!!

Last edited by Elcarim; 08-02-2008 at 10:30 PM..

Old 08-03-2008, 04:26 AM

4,112 posts, read 6,518,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elcarim View Post
Boy, could I write a saga here!!! We've been researching the possibility of moving to Maine for more than 3 years now, I believe. We have researched the income stats, taxes, utilities, crime rates, educatation stats.......and the list goes on and on and on. When we visited Maine early 07, that "possibility" became an ABSOLUTELY!!

This is what we found: Our children can play outside without being in our direct line of sight in Maine, and we won't fear them being abducted or worse in their own back yard. I have to add that on the 10pm news, I heard the story of a pregnant lady who was stabbed by a random attacker in her back yard. Our crime rates are WAY up there compared to even the largest cities in Maine.

We can actually walk outside without losing our breath to the heat during the month of August! Better still, we'll have temps below 40 more than 5 days during the winter! And may I say SNOW???

The education they will receive in Maine's schools will FAR exeed what is available here. They will go from a 60% chance of graduating high school to more than 90%, and their chances of choosing post graduate studies will double. The teen pregnancy rates in Texas are also now among the highest in the nation. I also don't think our kids will have to enter through metal detectors or have security officers patrolling the grounds of the middle and upper schools.

In comparing our cost of living between Our Town, TX and our intended destination in Maine, we find that DH's salary will be about the same and our living expenses approximately 10% higher. Will he HAVE a job? Yes. He's fortunately in an understaffed field and has been told several times to hurry up and get there! We'll make up the difference gladly!

I have shared this several times, so I won't go into a lot of detail. During our visit, we were so warmly welcomed by every Mainer we ran into that our kids kept asking why everyone was being so nice to us! We couldn't make a "quick" stop to grab a snack at a store or have lunch at a restaurant without having a full length conversation about what we were looking for in Maine and then countless suggestions on how and where to find it! My last conversation was with the sales clerk at Family Dollar in Belfast, who gave me her PHONE # so I could find her when we returned again!! She offered to help us get settled in and show us around. My friends, you will NEVER find that in Texas!

I could just go on forever. I haven't even mentioned the unmatched life, breath and beauty of my beloved Maine........We'll be home soon! Leave the light on!!
As usual, very beatifully put, EL! Going to try and see if I can rep you again!

Old 09-15-2008, 07:49 AM

2 posts, read 5,159 times
Default Also thinking about moving to Maine

Hey guys, we currently live in Thibodaux, Louisiana and we're sick and tired of the Hurricanes. We want to move to a different part of the US and haven't really descided on the best place yet. I'm a computer draftsman (draw maps and subdivision on the computer) and my wife is a nurse and about to get her masters/Nurse Practioner. I don't think we'll have trouble finding a job anywhere but it the anywhere we aren't sure of. Cost of living won't be much of a problem, we're shooting for an apartment them upgrading to a house at a later date. We're not much of party animals but like to get out and about to see the sights. Any suggestions? Kids aren't in the picture right now and may only come as a suprise later.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine