Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-23-2009, 09:16 PM

4,582 posts, read 8,982,044 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone! I will be visiting Maine in early February and would love any advice on where to visit and what to do while I'm there. Especially places like Kennebunkport, Portland and Augusta.

Basically, any help I can get regarding where to eat (I'd love to eat some good Maine lobster while I'm there!), what to see (as far as a brief history of a town), scenic areas (I'd love to see the rocky coast and a lighthouse, but also wanting to see some nice, quaint downtowns), nightlife/bars and things of that sort.

Also, would U.S. 201 be okay to drive during February to get to Quebec? I Googled it and am aware it is a within a sparsely populated area of Maine and is two-laned for most, if not all the way.

I appreciate any help I can get!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2009, 03:45 AM

3,036 posts, read 5,893,473 times
In Augusta I really enjoy the State Museum by the State House. I plan to take my grandkids this coming weekend.

Maine is more than just shoreline too. Check out the highland areas too. It's a large diverse state. Come back in theother seasons too and check it all out. Enjoy.

Home - Maine Office of Tourism
Maine.gov
Mt. Katahdin, Maine
Quoddy Loop--Eastport, Quoddy Village, Moose Island, and Carlow Island, Maine
MaineFoliage.com - Maine's Official Fall Foliage Website
Maine Eastern Railroad - Excursion Train Rail service to the towns of Brunswick, Bath, Wiscasset, BoothBay, Bootbay Harbor and Rockland Maine. Lobster train to the Lobsterfest, Maine coastal rail. Lighthouse, sailing, schooners, whale watch, lobster,

Old 12-24-2009, 03:48 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,254,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingImport View Post
Hi everyone! I will be visiting Maine in early February and would love any advice on where to visit and what to do while I'm there. Especially places like Kennebunkport, Portland and Augusta.

Basically, any help I can get regarding where to eat (I'd love to eat some good Maine lobster while I'm there!), what to see (as far as a brief history of a town), scenic areas (I'd love to see the rocky coast and a lighthouse, but also wanting to see some nice, quaint downtowns), nightlife/bars and things of that sort.

Also, would U.S. 201 be okay to drive during February to get to Quebec? I Googled it and am aware it is a within a sparsely populated area of Maine and is two-laned for most, if not all the way.

I appreciate any help I can get!
if you go to kennebunkport-you can walk out on the breakwater at the mouth of kennebunk river (across from "the colony" hotel on ocean avenue)

off (95) north of waterville take 201 to skowhegan-then towards solon, bingham, the forks, and jackman, going to canada- if its a nice day you should be fine, but it is a truck route, and if the roads are sloppy (snowing or slushy) it will be a challenge.
the scenery is awesome!

Old 12-24-2009, 05:47 AM

461 posts, read 797,774 times
Bald Head Cliff in Ogunquit, by the Cliff House. Sit on the rocks and watch the waves crash, awesome. Although a little cold in Feb. Kennebunkport itself has a terrific, quaint downtown that doesn't shut down over the winter. It also has great restaurants, from the expensive, Hurricane, to the modest, Allisons' and Federal Jack's brewpub. The Nubble Light House in York, the most photographed (I think they all are).

Old 12-24-2009, 07:51 AM

1,920 posts, read 4,323,524 times
You should visit Mount Desert Island home of Acadia National Park, finest National Park in the East.

Old 12-24-2009, 08:23 AM

3,468 posts, read 7,249,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarathu View Post
You should visit Mount Desert Island home of Acadia National Park, finest National Park in the East.

True, but it doesn't sound like they will be coming that far east. Of course, I'm only a local and might have missed something.

Old 12-24-2009, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinB View Post
True, but it doesn't sound like they will be coming that far east. Of course, I'm only a local and might have missed something.
You're correct. I won't be heading that far, mainly due to time issues.
I'm hoping maybe one day soon I can visit Acadia NP though. It looks beautiful from the pics I've seen online!

Old 12-24-2009, 01:22 PM

Also, thank you very much for the advice Mainebrokerman and entyss. This stuff is really coming in handy!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine