Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2006, 07:36 PM

4 posts, read 10,826 times

Advertisements

Hello MDI area folks...I am hoping to relocate to MDI next spring/summer...I am very interested in learning as much as I can about life on MDI, housing, weather, community, activities, etcetera...I have been exploring on-line and finding out lots of interesting facts but its just not the same as speaking with actual residents...If anyone cares to converse via email it would be greatly appreciated...Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2006, 06:57 AM

1,220 posts, read 3,933,535 times
Well, some questions for you. First of all, how old are you and what do you intend to do to support yourself? Do you have a family? Have you ever been here?

We live right on the gateway to MDI, and I have lived here permanently since the late 1970's, and spent all my summers here. My wife and I are planning on moving further "downeast" next year, so I can offer you a pretty unvarnished opinion of what live is like on and near MDI.

Old 08-22-2006, 02:40 PM

4,975 posts, read 11,694,928 times
I hate to ask a dumb question, but what does MDI mean? Thanks!

Old 08-23-2006, 05:37 AM

Mount Desert Island. The name is actually from the French, Isle de Mont Desert. When the French explorers came over the horizon they saw Cadillac Mountain in the distance and it looked much like a desert in the distance. Hence the name. It is correctly pronounced, Mount DEHsert, with the emphasis on the first syllable.

Old 08-23-2006, 02:58 PM

4,975 posts, read 11,694,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acadianlion View Post
Mount Desert Island. The name is actually from the French, Isle de Mont Desert. When the French explorers came over the horizon they saw Cadillac Mountain in the distance and it looked much like a desert in the distance. Hence the name. It is correctly pronounced, Mount DEHsert, with the emphasis on the first syllable.
Thanks Acadianlion! I appreciate the info.!

Old 08-28-2006, 07:09 AM

Wink Correcting myself...

Quote:
Originally Posted by holt4fam View Post
Thanks Acadianlion! I appreciate the info.!
The emphasis is actually on the last syllable! My French is VERY rusty!

Old 08-28-2006, 11:39 AM

4 posts, read 10,826 times
Thanks for responding Acadianlion...I am 47yrs old and currently work as a RN in a Trauma Center in Ohio...I grew up in Mass and over the years have spent time in NH, Maine, and VT...My kids are grown and I really want to get back to the East Coast...I love the MDI area and could probably work at MDI Hospital or one of the hospitals in Bangor...I am a little concerned about being socially isolated, especially in the winter months...My other main concern is in regard to the cost of housing, heating, and electric...Trenton seems to be a nice area and would afford me both proximity to MDI and Bangor...Is it realistic to expect to be able to commute to Bangor from Trenton?...

Old 08-28-2006, 01:40 PM

71 posts, read 252,246 times
Default Trenton-Bangor commute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancybeth View Post
Is it realistic to expect to be able to commute to Bangor from Trenton?...
Sure, as long as you don't mind a one-hour drive each way . . . when it's not snowing.

Old 08-29-2006, 08:42 PM

26 posts, read 180,876 times
And not in the summertime...eh chickadee?? It can take well over an hour depending on 'tourist' traffic. Ellsworth is nearby, still quite a drive to Bangor or Belfast...then again the Rockland/Rockport area hospitals are worth considering, the area there is lovely and the island would be easily travelled to.

To that I must add, I have an acquaintance who travels from Bangor to the Island to work (nurse as well)..she says the pay and benefits make it worth her while to do so....

Last edited by skyesmom40; 08-29-2006 at 08:45 PM.. Reason: afterthought

Old 09-02-2006, 04:23 PM

I think it is safe to say that a lot of people are used to driving quite a long way to work. I also think that is going to change with fuel prices rising toward $3 per gallon and more. Living in Trenton or Lamoine will give you the opportunity to work either in Bar Harbor at MDI Hospital or in Ellsworth, at Maine Coast Memorial. You need to write to both of them and see if they are hiring and if they are hiring for full or part time. I think you will find it easy to find work in nursing, but you may have to be prepared to travel 50 miles or so one way in order to do it. But there IS work, and you will find a place to live that will make sense...although you will need to be here to explore the area first.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine