Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2009, 12:10 PM

120 posts, read 167,247 times

Advertisements

Hello,

My wife and me are planning to visit Maine in june.
We hesitate to stay a week in BoothBay Harbor or in Camden (after Cap Code and before Boston)

Could the forum help us to make the choice ?

Thanks everyone

Olivier from France and first time in USA !!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2009, 02:56 PM

722 posts, read 1,511,372 times
Hi Olivier, You can not go wrong with either town, both are outstanding, But to nail me down to one I would say Camden. I love Camden, both are beautiful, have great food and nice people. I would chose Camden if for nothing else but a good hub to head south or Down East very good place to be a couple hours away from most stuff. Have fun.

Old 11-28-2009, 03:21 PM

12,420 posts, read 3,231,602 times
Definitely Camden as there is so much more to do in the area (climb Mt. Battie or Mt. Megunticook, walk the Rockland breakwater, Farnsworth Museum, The Strand Theatre, etc). There are also several good restaurants from Rockland to Belfast. Boothbay is nice, but it's a better day trip. Have fun!

Old 12-05-2009, 02:32 AM

Hi Tankratt, Mainer 61 and the forum,
You definitely convinced us to stay in Camden. Everything seems wonderful there.
Is Belfast an interesting place to visit? And is it possible to go to the Appalache from Camden
?

Regards

Old 12-05-2009, 07:47 AM

1,594 posts, read 4,096,076 times
Belfast is very interesting, with a nice waterfront and downtown area.

Appalache? Do you mean the Appalachian Mountains? Those are in a different area of the United States, but the tail end of that mountain chain comes into Maine. Mount Katahdin, the tallest mountain in Maine, is in Baxter State Park, but there are lot of other mountains to hike. Some are within easy driving distance from Camden. Western Maine has most of the mountains, so you might want to look at the Rangeley Lakes region.

Old 12-05-2009, 10:22 AM

722 posts, read 1,511,372 times
Belfast is a great town as well,you reall can't go wrong anywhere in Maine but my favorite parts are mid coast so I am partial to the Mid Coast and Down East regions of Maine, So all along Route US 1 is great sight seeing. The Appalachian Trail comes to an end in Maine, if that is what you mean by Appalache. That is the only thing I can think of, so if it something else I do not know, sorry. Sounds like a fun trip this summer.

Old 12-05-2009, 11:38 AM

8,514 posts, read 4,493,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olivieroma View Post
Hello,

My wife and me are planning to visit Maine in june.
We hesitate to stay a week in BoothBay Harbor or in Camden (after Cap Code and before Boston)

Could the forum help us to make the choice ?

Thanks everyone

Olivier from France and first time in USA !!
Bonjour Olivier!

A place that is a must visit in Maine is Acadia National Park. It is probably less than 2 hours from Camden ME where you will be staying. The scenery is breathtaking, where the mountains meet the sea.

There is also a French connection to the area with the some of the early explorers being French: Cadillac & Champlain come to mind. When I was on the summit of Cadillac Mt which is in Acadia National Park, it was a very international place as I heard a number of languages, French, German, and Japanese, plus others. I think you would enjoying visiting Acadia National Park. I know I do!!

Maine also has tres bon l'homard. (good lobster, not sure of my high school French here, it's been a long time)

Old 12-05-2009, 07:56 PM

2,133 posts, read 5,876,281 times
While I am very partial to Boothbay Harbor (DH & I eloped there), Camden definitely offers more to do.

I would also recommend taking Rt 1 right up the coast, stopping at Acadia. It will be worth the drive.

Enjoy!

Old 12-12-2009, 02:28 AM

Hi Everybody,

Sorry for the Appalache, it's the French name for the Appalchian Mountains. If it's not too far we'll try to have a short walk there (one day trip).
Easybreeze, your French seems perfect, you just have to try it and when you talk about Homard, you can be sure to be understood.
The Acadia National Park was in our mind but we decided to be in the middle of all the spots. I don’t know if Cadillac sound French for the American, but for French people Cadillac is really American. We’ve just discovered he was French a few days ago when we red about New England in some guide books.

Thank you all

Old 12-12-2009, 02:29 AM

One more thing,

We'll try to go to Bar Arbor (two hours drive is perfect)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine