Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-30-2010, 10:25 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,763,920 times

Advertisements

Hi Mainers!

Greetings from Oregon! I am looking into a job at Acadia NP. I am a national park scientist, and the job would be about a 5-10% pay raise for me, but my wife would need to find a job roughly equivalent to here state social services job here. The position would be housed on the Schoodic Peninsula, so looking for the best location to explore positions for my wife, and housing within reasonable commuting distance. We hope to find a 3br/2ba detached home, ideally with a bit of property, for $275k or less. We have a six year old son, so looking for good schools and youth activities. Any recommendations as to the best community?

We do know that Bar Harbor is a bit pricey with all the second homes. Alternatives?

Advice, impressions from west coast transplants (or anyone else!) also welcome.

Thanks in advance for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2010, 05:18 AM

1,220 posts, read 3,934,574 times
You won't beliving anywhere near Bar Harbor if your position is at on the Schoodic Peninsula. You have many options as far as living is concerned. Ellsworth is the major shopping center for you.

In this recession the biggest challenge that you face will be your wife finding a job. The state of Maine is cutting back severely now, and private social service agencies aren't common except for in the major cities. Start making calls now.

In terms of your housing budget you will probably find what you are looking for easily within a twenty five mile radius of where you will be working.

Old 01-31-2010, 10:25 AM

3,468 posts, read 7,243,213 times
Acadialion is right. You will probably be living over in or near Winter Harbor or Gouldsboro. Though, in the summer I think there may be a ferry between Bar Harbor and Winter Harbor. Home prices are cheaper in the Winter Harbor area, than around MDI.
Finding a job for your wife may be a tough hoe. There aren't many jobs just now.

Old 01-31-2010, 10:41 AM

29 posts, read 71,965 times
Default try East Sullivan

Jobs in mental health services in Maine also require a bit of a convoluted process of licensing, compared to PA. For example in PA, if you have a school counseling certificate, its pretty easy to get a certificate to counsel in other venues. But in Maine, while its not too hard to get your school counseling certificate transferred to Maine's educational counseling system, its quite a bit harder to get a certificate to do counseling in an outside agency. If your wife has an MSW, and an MSW license in Washington, she may be able to get licensed in Maine fairly quickly. If not, then NOT! I know that Kids Peace in Ellsworth does hire professional counselors periodically, and even during the recession. But she might not be able to get the kind of money she is making in Washington State.

If you are working on the Peninsula she might not want to have to drive to KidPeace everyday if you lived there. If she's looking for a job in Ellsworth, and you're going to work in Winter harbor, then you might be looking for a house in East Sullivan which would put you both having to drive 15miles to work. On snowy roads this could take 45 to 50 minutes one way.

RIM

Old 02-01-2010, 06:39 AM

9,982 posts, read 13,763,920 times
Thanks everyone! Great getting this advice. My impression is that that area is pretty rural and having to be at the Schoodic Center might make it hard for my wife to find work. In any case, I am enjoying learning about the area. Sounds just lovely.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine