Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2010, 03:54 PM

3,468 posts, read 7,251,977 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredtinbender View Post
Nut the ridi!! Nut the ridi!!

Back to the OP; I think that almoost any spur road ride off Rt 1 tendsto show some very nice towns and areas. Just SE of Castine gets you around Surry, Brooklin, Eggmoggin, Deer Isle/Stonington. The west side of MDI is noce but you have to fight all those tourists going to Bar Harbor. Get off the beaten path and enjoy the ride along the coast.

Where we getting clams Bob?
It would be nice if you could get some really fresh seafood at a restaurant in Eastport. Not those frozen fillets or clam strips. I'm going to have to settle for a fine sandwich at Bank Square, unless there are some good objections.

Back to op, Eastport seems to be in a transition faze. It used to be a real working community, but not it is trying to be touristy. What do you think Bob.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2010, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarathu View Post
I've traveled by car all over the east coast during the summer from Texas to Caribou and into Canada. Except for the July 4 celebration fireworks, driving through MDI is a piece of cake even compared to rush hour in my little burb of Quarryville,PA on any normal day. Now I admit that on Saturday morning from 8:30 to 11:30, getting out of MDI into Ellsworth on the main drag can be a pain. But locals take the back road into Trenton(water st. Bayside road and Oak Point) and avoid the whole section. I've never seen Rt 3 on MDI bumper the bumper ever.

Now.... If you leave Portsmouth, NH, between 7:00 and 10:00 on a Saturday morning on 95, you get into a huge bumper to bumper on that, but as soon as you get past Portland, its smooth sailing.

I'm just saying that if you think its touristy in MDI and BH, you don't know what real tourist congestion is. That nothin'.

Z

I have to beg the differ with you there. I used to work at Hinckley Yachts, many a moon ago, and I have seen this happen during the afternoon comute home in the summer.

Old 02-24-2010, 05:08 PM

1,453 posts, read 2,206,963 times
45 minutes from Dedham to SW Harbor in the early spring to get to the boat. 1.5 hours or more after the 4th of July. Back way through Ellsworth to Oak Point could cut off some of it. Sometimes.

Old 02-24-2010, 05:29 PM

3,036 posts, read 5,895,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinB View Post
It would be nice if you could get some really fresh seafood at a restaurant in Eastport. Not those frozen fillets or clam strips. I'm going to have to settle for a fine sandwich at Bank Square, unless there are some good objections.

Back to op, Eastport seems to be in a transition faze. It used to be a real working community, but not it is trying to be touristy. What do you think Bob.
The key words are "used to be a working community". You used to be able to buy things downtown that you needed like clothes, medicine. Now it's almost all galleries and eateries. A sprinkling of craft/gift shops too. I'd say that downtown has gone touristy. Or trying to anyway.

and I agree with you on the traffic thing. I've hit traffic on more than one occasion on Rt. 3. But no, it's not like tring to get through Conway NH or Six Flags in NJ. Ridiculous to compare to more populated areas. But it is still congested.

Another good spot is Owls Head area. The transportation museum with a motorcycle/car parts swap meet in the summer. I have to get down there this summer. I think maureenb will buy me & DW a coffee. LOL

Old 02-24-2010, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredtinbender View Post
The key words are "used to be a working community". You used to be able to buy things downtown that you needed like clothes, medicine. Now it's almost all galleries and eateries. A sprinkling of craft/gift shops too. I'd say that downtown has gone touristy. Or trying to anyway.

and I agree with you on the traffic thing. I've hit traffic on more than one occasion on Rt. 3. But no, it's not like tring to get through Conway NH or Six Flags in NJ. Ridiculous to compare to more populated areas. But it is still congested.

Another good spot is Owls Head area. The transportation museum with a motorcycle/car parts swap meet in the summer. I have to get down there this summer. I think maureenb will buy me & DW a coffee. LOL

Get her to take you over to the Weskeag store, in S. Thomaston. Used to be real good.

Old 02-25-2010, 05:48 AM

1,884 posts, read 2,901,248 times
Quote:
I have to beg the differ with you there. I used to work at Hinckley Yachts, many a moon ago, and I have seen this happen during the afternoon comute home in the summer.
I couldn't agree with you more, AustinB, One of my relatives used to work at Hinckley's and he has spoken (complained) to me about the traffic trying to get off the island many times.

Truth be known, Maine people prefer the lesser amount of traffic from Nov.-June and tourists (maybe even summer people) are tolerated for economic reasons. If it wasn't for the tourist "business," I doubt anyone would say, "I can't wait for the tourists to arrive and traffic to increase." I know many people who consider the arrival of summer tourists to be a type of invasion.

Old 02-25-2010, 07:25 AM

1,180 posts, read 2,493,578 times
Default summer person ---->resident

so, if I moved to Maine and became a year round resident......do I become a resident invader???

Old 02-25-2010, 10:45 AM

1,920 posts, read 4,324,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainegrl2011 View Post
If it wasn't for the tourist "business," I doubt anyone would say, "I can't wait for the tourists to arrive and traffic to increase." I know many people who consider the arrival of summer tourists to be a type of invasion.
Hmmmm...... But that's the way anything is. There are good and bad elements of any stuff. But I have to say that I know lots of people on-island. Never has anyone even implied to me that they wish I wasn't there; and in fact, quite the opposite is true.

Z

Last edited by 7th generation; 02-25-2010 at 01:51 PM..

Old 02-25-2010, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maine4.us View Post
so, if I moved to Maine and became a year round resident......do I become a resident invader???
Best you could hope for would be transplant. A lot of people are 'from aways'.

Old 02-25-2010, 05:18 PM

1,920 posts, read 4,324,559 times
Quote:
Best you could hope for would be transplant. A lot of people are 'from aways'.
You can hope for "flowering and fruited transplant".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
View detailed profiles of: