Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2010, 05:41 PM

2,054 posts, read 4,579,827 times

Advertisements

Posted roads are a sure sign of spring! They arrive before the robins.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2010, 03:22 AM

1,297 posts, read 3,518,710 times
Ranger...you would have to show me that in print somewhere as I have never heard that. We have lots of trucks (logging/gravel/etc) and we leave them in town because the roads we live on are posted. I assume you must not register your truck as commercial then?

Regardless, one must realize that the purpose of a posted road sign is to keep the road from being beaten up by heavy loads over muddy soil underneath the road surface. If a person wants to maintain good relations with their neighbors, it is best (in my opinion) to minimize the impact to the road by not driving on them as much as possible this time of year. We all must make a living, but it is hypocritical too to beat the crap out of your road by driving on them with heavy trucks day in and day out, then complain and complain because your road is rough and needs pot holes filled and new pavement put down. A lot of times we are our own worst enemy by not taking responsibility for our own actions. Shuttling back and forth between the house and the log truck left in town is inconvenient for me, but it is just as inconvenient for my neighbor as he waits and pays for a broken shock to be repaired at the garage.

(Not saying you are doing this Ranger, just saying that a lot of people do)

Old 03-05-2010, 05:16 AM

1,698 posts, read 3,338,766 times
Our road is posted.. and you see log trucks "sneak" to use our road because it gets them the short cut they like. You can tell they sneak it... because in the summer and fall they just drive like there's "No tomorrow" where here it's like coming in late after being out all night.

Old 03-05-2010, 08:36 AM

10,428 posts, read 18,686,915 times
There is very little frost in the ground right now. We are due for several warm sunny days. Water can drain down through the ground. I predict that the roads will dry up early this year. Of course the usual rules apply. Roads that run north and south will dry up first. Roads that run east and west will dry up later and east west roads that don't get sun will surprise people by being soft even when the road looks dry on top. It happens every year.

Old 03-05-2010, 12:10 PM

1,297 posts, read 3,518,710 times
I am not sure what the spring will be like. I know my Birthday is May 8th and every year I wonder if we will start tilling before or after my birthday. A few years I thought the weather would allow us to plant early, and a few times I thought we would be really late, but in 35 years of life, every year we have always tilled around May 8th. That is because something always comes up. Perhaps a lot of rain, or perhaps a late snow...but we have always tilled on my birthday.

Maybe this year will change that though, but if it does, it will be a rarity. I look for some heavy weather to come in late March and early April.

Old 03-08-2010, 11:26 AM

8,767 posts, read 18,671,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenTap View Post
I am not sure what the spring will be like. I know my Birthday is May 8th and every year I wonder if we will start tilling before or after my birthday. A few years I thought the weather would allow us to plant early, and a few times I thought we would be really late, but in 35 years of life, every year we have always tilled around May 8th. That is because something always comes up. Perhaps a lot of rain, or perhaps a late snow...but we have always tilled on my birthday.

Maybe this year will change that though, but if it does, it will be a rarity. I look for some heavy weather to come in late March and early April.
I saw people tilling around here just the other day. Granted they have unusually sandy soil and it's a small garden but he was out there tilling in the wood ashes from the winter wood burning. It still looked pretty muddy to me. Crazy? Naww not if you don't plant anything now. The ground here is completely thawed out as I'm getting constant runoff in my cellar now.

Peas in by Patriots day for peas and salmon on the 4th of July!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine