Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2010, 05:41 PM

1 posts, read 5,930 times

Advertisements

I'm a writer and I want to know how people in Maine really talk. I love the state and I love the people and I visit often, but visiting right now is impossible. I know all the standard speak, but I recently heard someone from Maine say something I've never heard before I wanted clarification. Do people from Maine ever exchange the word "were" for "was" in a sentence? For example:

Do Mainers say...

I was cold in my house today.

or

I were cold in my house today.

Another example:

She was pretty.

or

She were pretty.

And are there any other unusual word choices such as this?

Thanks.

Mark
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2010, 05:48 PM

7,727 posts, read 12,379,799 times
No
//www.city-data.com/forum/maine...ine-lingo.html
//www.city-data.com/forum/maine...e-sayings.html

Old 03-04-2010, 06:01 PM

740 posts, read 1,881,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markcornell53 View Post
I'm a writer and I want to know how people in Maine really talk. I love the state and I love the people and I visit often, but visiting right now is impossible. I know all the standard speak, but I recently heard someone from Maine say something I've never heard before I wanted clarification. Do people from Maine ever exchange the word "were" for "was" in a sentence? For example:

Do Mainers say...

I was cold in my house today.

or

I were cold in my house today.

Another example:

She was pretty.

or

She were pretty.

And are there any other unusual word choices such as this?

Thanks.

Mark
It was a tad nippy in my house today.
She was cunnin'.

Old 03-04-2010, 08:28 PM

2,133 posts, read 5,875,385 times
For the most part, unless one suffers from Tim Sample-itis, we speak the same English as the rest of the northeast. That whole "Murder She Wrote" thing was hideous.

I don't personally know anyone who mixes up "was" and "were".

Old 03-05-2010, 03:06 AM

1,297 posts, read 3,517,228 times
In my opinion, no writer will be able to capture the Maine Accent well enough to be put into print. That is because when my ex-in-laws talked down in the Bremen area, they had a "funny accent" to my way of thinking. And so is it with my friends in the Machias area. Millinockette has their own unique sound as does the farmers like myself here in Waldo County.

The fact is, a lot of old timers can tell where you are from just by how you talk. Its still Maine accent, but so regionalized that if you write or act in a movie with a Waldo County Maine accent, everyone outside this area will think its "fake".

There is one rule I tell out of staters, and it is listed as #1...

Never try to impersonate the Maine accent
. This state was discovered and settled first and it has taken years and years of hard work to get the dialect perfected. You could never duplicate it. Murder she Wrote learned that the hard way!

Old 03-05-2010, 03:11 AM

1,297 posts, read 3,517,228 times
When I worked for the railroad in MN the boys would grab me, hold me down and say, "say it Brokentap, say it or will will tickle you." I would squirm and squirm, but after dying of near tickling-death I would fess up and say it:

"okay, okay I will say it. I got in my cah, went around the connah, walked into a bah and had a beah."

They would all laugh and I would be let go. They did this over and over.

Translation: I got in my car, went around the corner, walked into a bar and had a beer.

Old 03-05-2010, 04:32 AM

3,036 posts, read 5,885,476 times
I suggest getting as many "Murder She Wrote" videos as you can find and study that master of voice, Tom Bosley. He captured the quintessential character of the language. By far he has proven the best of pronunciation and verbage and the colloquialism that is Downeast Maine. I think all on this forum would agree.

Old 03-05-2010, 04:40 AM

6,631 posts, read 13,537,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredtinbender View Post
I suggest getting as many "Murder She Wrote" videos as you can find and study that master of voice, Tom Bosley. He captured the quintessential character of the language. By far he has proven the best of pronunciation and verbage and the colloquialism that is Downeast Maine. I think all on this forum would agree.
Absolutely! 1.3 million of us sound exactly alike.

Mark, there isn't one accent for the state. Most of us don't sound like Downeasters and some of us even sound like French Canadians. You could fill a book with the differences in our speech.

Old 03-05-2010, 05:00 AM

1,698 posts, read 3,337,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fxtrader View Post
It was a tad nippy in my house today.
She was cunnin'.
((claps)) Very good~ just what I was thinking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredtinbender View Post
Or just call retiredtinbender at home~he has a rich Maine drawl.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Writer View Post
Absolutely! 1.3 million of us sound exactly alike.

Mark, there isn't one accent for the state. Most of us don't sound like Downeasters and some of us even sound like French Canadians. You could fill a book with the differences in our speech.
I can sound like a rebel yank~
My father is from KY and my mom here.
I was born here in Maine~ brought up in my youner years in KY and returned when I was 6.
I hang to a drawl of both if you put your ear to my lip.

but... it's true. Every part of Maine is different.

Old 03-05-2010, 07:42 AM

16,665 posts, read 15,658,096 times
First thing to do is search the forums. You could even browse the forum. It is only on the third page. It has over 150 replies.

The most recent thread covering Maine talk is:

//www.city-data.com/forum/maine...e-sayings.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine