Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-08-2010, 12:11 PM

14 posts, read 35,032 times

Advertisements

We really would like all the advise we can get. We are from the midwest. We are going to be moving the area. To be specific i'm going to be working at Pease (it is a guard base but they are putting active duty there). So yes i'm active duty Air Force. We have decided we want to rent a house for a year so we can get to the know the area. So our questions are these: Maine or New Hampshire? Which towns are the best with the best schools? Where should we avoid? Are they any websites we can go to that has rental listings (we have NNEREN and Innovative)? What is the weather like in the summer? Which beaches are the best with kids? We are not worried about state taxes as we are non-residents.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2010, 01:42 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,859,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErrantVenture View Post
We are not worried about state taxes as we are non-residents.
I would take a close second look at this point.

If you are going to be working in NH, I personally would live in NH. Just as has been said the last time you asked.

Old 04-08-2010, 03:32 PM

2,788 posts, read 8,015,308 times
Hey, how did you make an active link of a word like that?

Old 04-08-2010, 04:57 PM

9 posts, read 29,307 times
NH is more prosperous that is ME, and generally has better schools. BUT, both states are "bedroom" states for people from places like Mass and New York, meaning that people often make their money elsewhere and move there to live peacefully and relatively cheaply. Therefore, if you are not really at the whim of either state's particular economy, you can get great schools and all that jazz in either one. Live near where you work. Makes sense.

Old 04-08-2010, 06:38 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,671,905 times
You have posted the same question several times in this forum. I suggest you go back and look at the answers people have already given you.

Old 04-08-2010, 07:21 PM

37,469 posts, read 61,406,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PortProv View Post
NH is more prosperous that is ME, and generally has better schools. BUT, both states are "bedroom" states for people from places like Mass and New York, meaning that people often make their money elsewhere and move there to live peacefully and relatively cheaply. Therefore, if you are not really at the whim of either state's particular economy, you can get great schools and all that jazz in either one. Live near where you work. Makes sense.
Maine is a bedroom community of New York?

And to say that it is 'relatively cheaper' shows that you have a flair for understatement.

Old 04-08-2010, 08:50 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,859,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcrackly View Post
Hey, how did you make an active link of a word like that?
easy really. Copy the link you want, then in your post, highlight the word you want to be the link and then insert the link using the little globe & chain icon on top of the message box. It automatically makes the highlighted word the link.

Old 04-08-2010, 09:31 PM

1,064 posts, read 2,033,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErrantVenture View Post
We really would like all the advise we can get. We are from the midwest. We are going to be moving the area. To be specific i'm going to be working at Pease (it is a guard base but they are putting active duty there). So yes i'm active duty Air Force. We have decided we want to rent a house for a year so we can get to the know the area. So our questions are these: Maine or New Hampshire? Which towns are the best with the best schools? Where should we avoid? Are they any websites we can go to that has rental listings (we have NNEREN and Innovative)? What is the weather like in the summer? Which beaches are the best with kids? We are not worried about state taxes as we are non-residents.
If you're thinking of eventually buying a house in one of those states, research whether it would be easier to sell a house in that part of NH or Maine, should the time come to move again.

Anyway, I think NH as a state is better run than is Maine, so life may be less aggravating in NH.

Old 04-09-2010, 05:10 AM

2,788 posts, read 8,015,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
easy really. Copy the link you want, then in your post, highlight the word you want to be the link and then insert the link using the little globe & chain icon on top of the message box. It automatically makes the highlighted word the link.

Cool, thanks. Did you see that, Maureen?

Old 04-09-2010, 05:44 AM

783 posts, read 1,575,324 times
Smile v-e-e-e-e-ry off-topic...but,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
It's the little stuff like this that makes my day! Thanks (http://www.htzfm.com/files/htzfm/images/thanks.gif - broken link), Bydand & tcrackly!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
View detailed profiles of: