Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2010, 08:44 PM

3 posts, read 7,397 times

Advertisements

This is purely hypothetical right now, but bear with me.

I'll be going to midwifery school in 2012, and a school in Bridgton is a definite possibility. Initially, I was really excited to find a school in this area, because I love New England. I always thought if I ever left home, I'd go out east, and I figure Maine is about as east as you can get!

I really know absolutely nothing about the area, though, and it's hard to get a feel for it through Google streetview. Is it rural? Like really rural? I mean, do they even have a gas station? The closet Target is in Portland, apparently, and I'm feeling a little lightheaded at the idea of living an hour away from Target! Haha. I grew up and still live in a moderately sized city, right outside a much bigger city (we're talking about a big city for the midwest – not NYC or even Chicago...not by a long shot), so this would be a culture shock to say the least.

Is it even possible to find housing or work in that area? I wouldn't be working a lot, but I'd need something to at least make pocket money. And obviously I'd need a place to live. Is there a better area right between Bridgton and Portland? Like Windham? Google tells me that it's a 30 minute drive, and I'm fine with that – that's about my commute to work right now anyway. If I did that, I'd at least be close enough to Portland that I wouldn't feel completely isolated.

Any advice would be appreciated! If I can't handle Bridgton, I'll probably be off to Portland, Oregon. I'd really love to live in Maine, though, if only for the proximity to other places like Boston and New York.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2010, 04:26 AM

10,428 posts, read 18,694,037 times
Maine's biggest city has about 60,000 people. In Bangor you can hunt deer inside the city limits. It sounds like you don't want to be in or even near a rural area. Maine is bigger than the other five New England states put together and we have just over a million people. Most of my neighbors are moose and bear.

Old 05-01-2010, 08:10 AM

3 posts, read 7,397 times
It's not that I don't want to be near a rural area – I'm pretty used to that, because I grew up and live in a state that has high concentrations of people and then a lot of nothingness between the next high concentration of people. My concern would just be if it's rural to the point of having to travel a great distance to find something other than a general store.

Old 05-01-2010, 09:30 AM

8,767 posts, read 18,677,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cnc1215 View Post
It's not that I don't want to be near a rural area – I'm pretty used to that, because I grew up and live in a state that has high concentrations of people and then a lot of nothingness between the next high concentration of people. My concern would just be if it's rural to the point of having to travel a great distance to find something other than a general store.
It's only about 25 miles from Bridgton to North Windham. North Windham has a good selection of big box stores. Super Wal-Mart and that stuff. Bridgton is pretty rural. Pop is about 5,000. It's a nice area. There are stores and restaurants there. It isn't the end of the earth.

Old 05-01-2010, 02:14 PM

300 posts, read 758,318 times
I like Bridgton very much, it is a beautiful area. I am even thinking of moving out that way when I get tired of the Portland area. There are other areas nearby as well, including Harrison and Paris. You will love that area if you move there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnc1215 View Post
This is purely hypothetical right now, but bear with me.

I'll be going to midwifery school in 2012, and a school in Bridgton is a definite possibility. Initially, I was really excited to find a school in this area, because I love New England. I always thought if I ever left home, I'd go out east, and I figure Maine is about as east as you can get!

I really know absolutely nothing about the area, though, and it's hard to get a feel for it through Google streetview. Is it rural? Like really rural? I mean, do they even have a gas station? The closet Target is in Portland, apparently, and I'm feeling a little lightheaded at the idea of living an hour away from Target! Haha. I grew up and still live in a moderately sized city, right outside a much bigger city (we're talking about a big city for the midwest – not NYC or even Chicago...not by a long shot), so this would be a culture shock to say the least.

Is it even possible to find housing or work in that area? I wouldn't be working a lot, but I'd need something to at least make pocket money. And obviously I'd need a place to live. Is there a better area right between Bridgton and Portland? Like Windham? Google tells me that it's a 30 minute drive, and I'm fine with that – that's about my commute to work right now anyway. If I did that, I'd at least be close enough to Portland that I wouldn't feel completely isolated.

Any advice would be appreciated! If I can't handle Bridgton, I'll probably be off to Portland, Oregon. I'd really love to live in Maine, though, if only for the proximity to other places like Boston and New York.

Old 05-01-2010, 03:06 PM

502 posts, read 1,736,378 times
Bridgton is a great area. I would gladly live there but good job in portland keeps me away. Shopping - 40minutes max to North COnway NH, tax free with all you could desire. Windham 30 minutes. Oxford hills area half hour. Lewiston/Auburn 1 hour. Skiing just outside of bridgton. WOnderful movie theater - Magic Lantern that is just gorgeous with balconies and all. Two supermarkets. Some small shops, hard ware store, actually has a drive in movie theater too. Many things to do all times of year.

Old 05-02-2010, 06:24 AM

783 posts, read 1,575,710 times
Smile Bridgton Drive-In theater

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowfax1997 View Post
Bridgton is a great area. [...] actually has a drive in movie theater too. [...]
Thank you for mentioning the drive-in theater in Bridgton, shadowfax! A summer visit to the drive-in movies sounds great! They are open now, and (for those of you who are not "toes up" by 9pm ) next Friday, May 7th, will be having a midnight showing of Iron Man 2 !!!

I haven't been to a drive-in theater since the '60's, and wasn't even sure there were any left in existence! I found this database which offers historical & other info. on all Maine drive-in theaters.

I have always heard nice things about Bridgton from acquaintance who have a cottage in that area, though never been out that way myself.

Last edited by maureenb; 05-02-2010 at 06:31 AM.. Reason: added missing word

Old 05-02-2010, 08:55 AM

2,186 posts, read 6,828,117 times
It looks like you haven't even checked the Town of Bridgton or the chambers website. You should do that first then you would already know the answers to alot of the questions your asking.

It's a resort area which is very diferent than a town with a yearround economy.
Busy in the summer but very quiet in the winter. There is a small ski resort nearby so it's not totally dead.

North Conway, NH is just up the road about 30 min and is a shopping mecca for the region.

Since you mentioned the importance of having big box chain stores I don't think you would be happy in Bridgton. Portland would probably be a good match for you tho. About 100,000 people in the greater Portland area, as you mentioned it even has a Target.

Don't really get the Target thing...to me it's Wamart in bright red and better carpeting.

Old 05-02-2010, 05:05 PM

783 posts, read 1,575,710 times
Since the OP will be attending the Midwifery school in Bridgton, it would seem this is why they are interested in hearing about the town & nearby area.

If all folks did was visit Chamber of Commerce sites, what would be the purpose of City Data?

Old 05-03-2010, 08:18 AM

1,402 posts, read 3,502,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maureenb View Post
If all folks did was visit Chamber of Commerce sites, what would be the purpose of City Data?
The Chamber of Commerce is going to put their township's facilities in the best possible light. City Data will tell you the real deal.

For example, I'm sure Bridgton's Chamber of Commerce will tell you that it is only a short drive to Portland. However, what they probably doesn't mention is that to get to Portland you have to drive through both Naples and Windham, which gets clogged with Summer traffic and increases drive times significantly.

For the OP, another thing to consider is school systems...the better ones are found closer to Portland. Bridgton has a small year-round tax base (as do many townships in tourist regions) and that can be reflected in its school system.

Just things to consider. Bridgton is a nice little town with alot of outdoor activities and a pretty down-town. Want a Target? You've never been to a Reny's, have you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine