Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2010, 08:38 AM

3,638 posts, read 6,168,748 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by flycessna View Post
Its unfortunate but towns like Rumford have only one place to go.... DOWN! The thought of "STARTING OVER" as a single parent with children in a town like Rumford gives me the heeby jeebies... Not to rain on anyones parade as I am sure the area is pretty in its own way but what on earth is there to do there with kids?? (that cant be had anywhere else in Maine with more) And IF the area continues on a decline then what??
Single parent starting over? Did I miss something that was in the OP?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2010, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineah View Post
I too said the surrounding area was very beautiful which it is. I have friends in Andover and it is one of the nicest places I have been to in Maine. In the interest of FULL DISCLOSURE to the OP I think it's only fair to mention the 800 pound gorilla in the room before anyone moves blindly into Rumford expecting nothing but pretty white church steeples nestled into the heart of the valley. There is no getting around the paper mill and while some long time Rumford residents may call it the smell of money or what ever the fact is a huge working paper mill would be wholly unpleasant to a great number of people seeking a peaceful quiet respite in Western Maine.
I do agree that the OP needs to check the place out. I liken it to when someone builds their dream home a half mile from the runway and then complains about the airport noise.

Education is key IMHO.

Old 05-03-2010, 08:44 AM

8,767 posts, read 18,669,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reloop View Post
The OP is three 3kidsandmom...the thread is a fresh beginning a new chapter....seems like a logical deduction to me.

Old 05-03-2010, 12:25 PM

1,064 posts, read 2,033,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarathu View Post
Why would you move anywhere that you've never been? IMO, this is just crazy. How do you know that you are like the people who live there? How do you know that your politics and religion are the same?

Moving to a place where you haven't checked whether the people are like you is folly. I know. I've spent more than 1/2 my life living in a place where very very few people think like me.

Z
Not something I worry about.

Because there's no place on earth where people think like me.

So I just keep my mouth shut and ears open wherever I live.

Old 05-03-2010, 01:20 PM

2,356 posts, read 5,719,353 times
Quote:
She calls herself 3 kids and a mom??

and the title of the thread is "a fresh beginning a new chapter"

It didnt feel like much of a reach at the time... I hope I was spot on..

Old 05-03-2010, 02:32 PM

1,920 posts, read 4,320,950 times
Quote:
I agree that people should definitely check out their surroundings before making them permanent, but really, must we refer to people as "crazy?"
I was crazy(and still am, I have OPD too---obnoxious personality disorder)... Its an endearing term for me. I guess other people think its not.

Old 05-03-2010, 05:27 PM

783 posts, read 1,575,129 times
Before the Voice of Reason arrives with the padlock, I just want to say that....

1. The OP hasn't been back since her OP, so we don't really have a lot to go on; but we're traveling, anyhow!
2. We all wear different critical thinking caps. I interpreted the situation as being this: a single mom w/ kids was potentially coming to Rumford because she had some sort of connection, e.g., relatives, friends, whatever. She was here on CD casting about for 'anonymous' info, you know, opinions, etc., from 'someones' other than who she is connected with in her move.
3. Or, I thought, maybe she's living in some crime ridden, asphalt jungle and happened on Rumford, ME while surfing the web at 3am one morning. "Eden," she sighed. And I'd have to agree.
4. Folks do amazing things all of the time - stuff you or I might never consider doing. All anyone can do is offer sound advice and stand back.

Rumford might be paradise compared with what the OP is living now. She might be coming to live with Gram & Gramp. Who knows?

I concede ... ... I don't!

Old 05-03-2010, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maureenb View Post
Before the Voice of Reason arrives with the padlock, I just want to say that....

1. The OP hasn't been back since her OP, so we don't really have a lot to go on; but we're traveling, anyhow!
2. We all wear different critical thinking caps. I interpreted the situation as being this: a single mom w/ kids was potentially coming to Rumford because she had some sort of connection, e.g., relatives, friends, whatever. She was here on CD casting about for 'anonymous' info, you know, opinions, etc., from 'someones' other than who she is connected with in her move.
3. Or, I thought, maybe she's living in some crime ridden, asphalt jungle and happened on Rumford, ME while surfing the web at 3am one morning. "Eden," she sighed. And I'd have to agree.
4. Folks do amazing things all of the time - stuff you or I might never consider doing. All anyone can do is offer sound advice and stand back.

Rumford might be paradise compared with what the OP is living now. She might be coming to live with Gram & Gramp. Who knows?

I concede ... ... I don't!
Good points. Thank you.

Old 05-03-2010, 06:11 PM

227 posts, read 415,296 times
I think she's gone, too. I sent a DM with a few specifics, good and not so good, with no response. But just in case, this was on Channel 13 (ME broadcast) this morning with commentary from kids at Rumford Elementary School.
WGME.com - Local Portland, Maine News - Local Portland, Maine News. Click on "kids correspondent" and find Rumford Elementary.

Old 05-04-2010, 03:40 PM

2,724 posts, read 6,425,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spose View Post
But just in case, this was on Channel 13 (ME broadcast) this morning with commentary from kids at Rumford Elementary School.
WGME.com - Local Portland, Maine News - Local Portland, Maine News. Click on "kids correspondent" and find Rumford Elementary.
Ha, ha, now that's what I'm talking about!

I know the two "correspondent's" parents and recognized most of the faculty-too cute!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine