Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-05-2011, 07:22 PM

5 posts, read 20,418 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I am looking to move to Bel Air from PG County as it is a half way point between my significant other and I's jobs (he works in DE). I work in Glen Burnie (about 10 minutes outside of Baltimore). I love the area and we found a great apartment, but I am VERY concerned about my morning commute. I don't mind afternoon traffic, but I want to make sure I will be able to make it to work by 8 a.m.! I know that Google maps optimistically lists the time as "50 minutes," but realistically, what am I looking at here? Thanks so much for any help.

Last edited by BluEyedGrl; 04-05-2011 at 07:54 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2011, 03:37 PM

16 posts, read 52,159 times
The Baltimore area has some of the worst traffic, from what I've heard, in the country so you will probably want to leave about 6-6:30 to be in Glen Burnie by 8. I live in Joppatowne (10 mins from Bel Air) and work in downtown Baltimore, my commute is an hour one way. Bel Air is north of Joppa and Glen Burnie is south so bet on hour and a half to 2 hrs.

Old 04-07-2011, 01:48 PM

2,046 posts, read 4,951,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BluEyedGrl View Post
Hi everyone,

I am looking to move to Bel Air from PG County as it is a half way point between my significant other and I's jobs (he works in DE). I work in Glen Burnie (about 10 minutes outside of Baltimore). I love the area and we found a great apartment, but I am VERY concerned about my morning commute. I don't mind afternoon traffic, but I want to make sure I will be able to make it to work by 8 a.m.! I know that Google maps optimistically lists the time as "50 minutes," but realistically, what am I looking at here? Thanks so much for any help.
the commute is easy use MTA 411 express then transfer to light rail at the first drop off use the light rail to glen burnie

Old 04-07-2011, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poca1313 View Post
The Baltimore area has some of the worst traffic, from what I've heard, in the country so you will probably want to leave about 6-6:30 to be in Glen Burnie by 8. I live in Joppatowne (10 mins from Bel Air) and work in downtown Baltimore, my commute is an hour one way. Bel Air is north of Joppa and Glen Burnie is south so bet on hour and a half to 2 hrs.
Thanks. I've heard that traffic on 95 usually starts to get its worst at around 7:30 a.m...any truth to that? I'm thinking that if so, as long as I leave by 6:30 I'll be ok. I won't mind that at all, my worry is getting caught in bumper to bumper traffic and being late to work. I don't think that I'll have an opportunity to make a "test drive," unfortunately. Just trying to get prepared!

Old 04-08-2011, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by qjbusmaster View Post
the commute is easy use MTA 411 express then transfer to light rail at the first drop off use the light rail to glen burnie
commuter bus is very nice and is a coach. the pass lets u use light rail at no extra cost

Old 04-08-2011, 01:36 AM

14 posts, read 41,996 times
Yup,so nice it is.

Old 04-08-2011, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by b.boris52 View Post
Yup,so nice it is.
only if you use it right that is there is a trick to that commute

Old 04-08-2011, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by qjbusmaster View Post
only if you use it right that is there is a trick to that commute
I forgot the light rail goes direct to glen burnie from the first drop off on the 411 coach bus

Old 04-22-2011, 09:06 AM

Thank you everyone for the help. I unfortunately do not have the option to use public transportation...my job requires a lot of community outreach and I have to have my car with me every day. Hopefully I will be able to find a route that isn't too bad, and I plan to leave by 6:30 a.m. in the mornings. I've heard that taking the Key Bridge is often better than the Harbor Tunnel.

Old 04-22-2011, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluEyedGrl View Post
Thank you everyone for the help. I unfortunately do not have the option to use public transportation...my job requires a lot of community outreach and I have to have my car with me every day. Hopefully I will be able to find a route that isn't too bad, and I plan to leave by 6:30 a.m. in the mornings. I've heard that taking the Key Bridge is often better than the Harbor Tunnel.
in that case the bridge is better
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland